Home General Hunting

Bird Dog Training in South Florida - clubs, locations, etc?

bcontentobcontento Posts: 122 Deckhand
We'll be picking up our new Brittany Spaniel in a few weeks. She'll only be 8 weeks old, so we'll be starting simple (sit, here, stop eating my shoes, etc), but I'd love to know if anyone has any recommendations for clubs, groups, or even the single dog owner that works with gundogs in the Palm Beach/Broward county area. I'm not looking to spend a truck load of cash on a private trainer...more like a social group to help socialize the pup in.

Also, anyone in the area have a good recommendation for some fields/land I can work her on (with or without a gun). I'd love to have a place local that we can just go run the tall grass to get her nose working and her prey-drive fired up. Eventually, I'd like to be able to plant some live birds for her.

thanks all!

Replies

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,438 Officer
    I don't really know of any trainers here in south florida,but you can do a lot on your own . I bought a few books and videos before I got my lab pup and picked a program that I thought was suitable for both me (the novice trainer),and what I needed him to do. While he's not a fully trained dog ,he does fine picking up ducks,and snipe for me.I think your on the right track by just working on obedience and doing some light retrieves to start out. Keep it fun,and don't expect to much out of him as a pup.We did alot of his obedience training at night ,in a wide open parking lot near my house. A check cord will be your best friend to keep him under control as a pup,get him use to dragging one around asap. I also found a golf course by my house that wasn't being used anymore and did alot of early training there. Once small game comes around you can take him to management areas for snipe,and quail (if your lucky enough to find quail). I also freeze duck wings for training in the off season(good for tying to bumper for scent training )..Hopefully a few of my points will help you....best of luck with the new pup!
  • S M McIntoS M McInto Posts: 117 Officer
    Hey I sent you a message back.

Here is my girl Mossy at 10 weeks.. She was the runt of the litter, so she is still very small...she looked like she was about 5 weeks old when we went and picked her up at 8 weeks...about half the size of her brothers and sisters
    Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me"
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,942 AG
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I've had 2 Brits. Main thing with Brits is you need to go easy with them. They tend to be natural retrievers and like encouragement. Be easy with any discipline. Also be mindful of hot weather and snakes. Good luck & please provide updates.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • saltsalt Posts: 32 Deckhand
    eb78c3582f31bb4cac24f797f742a19b.jpg

I'm not going to be much help since I live in Indiana. But, Cabella is my first and only Brittany. She is an amazing dog and was very easy to train. I will never own a different breed. Training was not difficult. "Whoa" and "heal" are the two main commands you need to teach. We also use "back" when she gets to far away. "Drop" when she retrieves. She is going to be 5 in a few weeks. It has been a progression as I feel she's about at her prime. A buddy and I now raise chukar partridge as we don't have wild birds here and it's much cheaper than going to a hunting reserve. Let me know if you need any advice. I'de trade a hunt for a fishing trip any day!!!

770acc0948826251be2dd11e86cf2413.jpg
    1017b5de360548e3b5efab800828ac2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    My buddy ran a bird dog kennel in Missouri before he died, I loved going there and watching the dogs work. I also got all the free pheasant and chuckars I wanted. Chuckars were the best, like a great big quail.
  • DeeppocketsDeeppockets Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Where r u located? I have a buddy in miami who is very good.
  • If_it_flies_it_diesIf_it_flies_it_dies Posts: 1,133 Officer
    My advice is don't even think about bringing her to the field/woods without her being snake broken. I did almost all of my springer spaniels bird training in areas that had short grass where I could see what was going on and he has been a great dog. I didn't take him into the woods until about 5 months after that was done. Imagine the heartbreak if she got hit by a big diamondback this small and young; she wouldn't stand a chance.
  • LOUNGELIZARDLOUNGELIZARD Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Deeppockets please pass info of trainer in miami or PM if you dont mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • bcontentobcontento Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Hi all. Sorry I've been away from my own thread. I wasn't getting notifications on replies.

Thanks everyone for the great info! We pick her up next week!
  • bcontentobcontento Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Got our girl, Daisy! Now the fun begins.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,438 Officer
    bcontento wrote: »
    Got our girl, Daisy! Now the fun begins.
    Nice looking pup!..best of luck with her!
    Yard work and fun for a while

Good reads, oldies but good advice..
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Way-Train-Your-Gun/dp/0679507507
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I really like Paul Long, dated but is solid on the info.
    http://www.gundogsupply.com/-601-.html