Home General Freshwater Fishing

Catch and Question - SJR

Took a break off the Redfish to go fish my Favorites, the Bass. If someone would've told me that I could get out there with Suspending Jerk/Twitch baits and Topwater Sebile Slim Sticks (walk the dog topwater) and catch 25 Largemouth in three hours I'd have though they were crazy. Honestly I do not think they should still be schooling like they are and I am puzzled by the "bait" that is in the water...(see pic).

I am fishing "almost" the same spot as during the regular part of the season (mid-Feb through end of May) with much the same results.

The Bait - in case the colors do not come through, the BACK is Black Top with Blue/Purple and the sides are silver'ish. Looks just like an American Shad to me. I would think Gizzard/Stink Shad but the colors are wrong. Menhaden...maybe but the shape looks a little off but The Spot is there...like the Shad. Water Temp is 90 with extremely low water.
When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,162 Moderator
    I believe it's a threadfin. Great day catchin' !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • breambream Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    Those are threadfin. The yellow tail and thread on the dorsal fin point to it being as such. American shad have silver tails and no thread on the dorsal fin.
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    Found some decent info on them HERE Thanks for the push in the right direction. Got in to a school of more threadfin but bigger with more pronounced features and colors...I'm seeing the differences now. Speaking of small bait fish, I snagged baby bluegills twice today in the same area. Also appears to be a fairly large number of Tilapia (snagged one twice now). Still catching them but today they were all much bigger than the normal...total 15
    better today, total 17 and much larger overall Bass.
    17 more Bass on the 4th and 20 today (5th). Still snagging the Threadfin and Bluegill and now there are some early spawn Catfish speeding through the skinny water hammering the bait. Gators are thicker than I have seen them...ever. We pulled up to our spot this morning and I was reminding my wife to try and be careful casting b/c those little Gators are all over. Then my first cast I promptly get exploded on by ...you guessed it, a Gator, right @ 5.5. to 6' in length. He blew up my Mann's 10" Snake (topwater) on purpose. Anyway, pulled him along side to get back as much line as possible, shined the light on him and cut it loose. He stayed about 15' from the boat and followed until the sun came up. Little Gator but big attitude. The sun came up behind a cloud so we got the bite for an extra 30 minutes,,,kewl.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,162 Moderator
    Good stuff . Looks like the bite is holding up.
    "You'll get your weather"
    after a day off the water yesterday (6th) went back at'em this morning. The bite is Still hanging in there with another 17 Bass caught this morning...between two of us. Biggest at 4 pounds and smallest around 3oz's (4 1/2" Bass).
    Still hanging in there on the bite...big ones today. Two of us got 33 Bass today all nice size, even the Tilapia