Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Jig question w/ pic

Sorry for silly question but bought some 1/8 oz jig heads and what I thought were the right DOA Cals....see pic...but the hook looks a little big. should I have gotten a longer DOA? Just trying to figure this flats fishing thing out. :huh

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,243 AG
    I would try to find a smaller jig head, you can go larger on the DOA, I did the same thing, but i fished it anyway and caught trout. Had better luck with the red head one though, but i know people who swear by the chartreuse.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    There are several colors to use in the IRL, as long as they are chartreuse...LOL
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
    I am terrible with NAMES of lure but here is a pic with my Favorite Jig head to use. With so many selections out there I agree it can be easy to get the "wrong" ones....lol. I have a bunch of "wrong" ones if anyone is interested. Like the old adage says, If I knew then what I know now I'd probably only own three sizes and colors.
    2nd from the bottom...right hand column. White/Red Eye
  • Ikaika KaiIkaika Kai Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    What 3 sizes and color would you choose
  • dwbiggsdwbiggs Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    The only fish to hit that chartruese rootbeer jig in Crane Creek this morning was a Cichlid. :willynilly
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    dwbiggs wrote: »
    Sorry for silly question but bought some 1/8 oz jig heads and what I thought were the right DOA Cals....see pic...but the hook looks a little big. should I have gotten a longer DOA? Just trying to figure this flats fishing thing out. :huh

It is fine...thread it on straight and bring the hook out thru the "A" of DOA printed on the top.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • dtmdtm Posts: 327 Deckhand
    I like to use jig heads that have more holding grip on the head as the single barbs want hold the tail after a few stikes its ok if you change tails a lot but if you are using gulp baits its better to get the jigheads that secure the tails better.

DTM
    Had to go with four just for safety :)...It is only how I do things, I am sure many folks have many different ways and ideas. Take a look at DTM's reply...agree 100% and my little 1/16oz is a Two Prong that absolutely works.

Ikaika Kai wrote: »
    What 3 sizes and color would you choose
  • dwbiggsdwbiggs Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    So the white baits work best for you? Read that white works best in sandy areas and use darker baits and chartreuse? in brackish...you find that to be true?
    Yes, I do tend to go with white but probably because when I am throwing Plastics it is normally throwing at holes while looking for the Targeted fish...always fish that burn drag. But hey, when I find the old "Lock Jaw" fish I throw every color in the box at them and it seems that most times it is a White w/ Chartreuse or White w/ Red that gets them to eat if, they are going to. My son on the boat with me, doing the same thing, only throws Root Beer w/ Chartreuse Tail DOA or Large Flukes in the same color and he does WELL most of the time. He has confidence in his and I do in mine but we all "sway" if the guy next to you is killin' it.
  • TactileNeckTactileNeck Posts: 63 Deckhand
    RealSeabee wrote: »
    There are several colors to use in the IRL, as long as they are chartreuse...LOL

Hahaha...:rotflmao
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    the jighead in the original pic is perfect
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]