Home Egret Boats

Need to repower as my old johnson 175 fast strike failed

lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
A quick trip out back to try and catch some tarpon with a friend turned into a 5 hour plus ordeal to get home. My old 1996 Johnson threw a rod and froze up. Made it back with the trolling motor and push poll. Now looking to repower. I guess mercury 175 pro xs is at the top of the list but need to research a bit more.

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Depends what your looking to do. The 175 Pro XS will be the best power to weight ratio. But you have a older hull which most likely weighs more than the newer boats. The Etec will be the lightest but most unreliable motor. The Suzuki 140 is a great option for weight and if speed isn't a factor. The Yamaha F-150 is a good choice for but weight is a factor and price. Mercury's new 150 4 stroke has allot of power quiet and won't break the bank. If it was me that's the motor I would go with. Micheal mtd885 just re powered his so he will have some good insight for you. Look at his post.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?185037-Breaking-the-new-motor-in-first-impression
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    lowerkeys wrote: »
    A quick trip out back to try and catch some tarpon with a friend turned into a 5 hour plus ordeal to get home. My old 1996 Johnson threw a rod and froze up. Made it back with the trolling motor and push poll. Now looking to repower. I guess mercury 175 pro xs is at the top of the list but need to research a bit more.

My original Merc EFI crapped out just like yours and froze up. I replaced it with a new 175 pro xs on my 96. About 450 hrs on it now. No issues at all other than I dont care for the noise when running; too loud for me. Its quiet at idle but I make long runs sometimes and I dont care for the drone when running around. I plan to replace it with a 4 stroke soon. If you are interested in my 175 I'll sell it to you rather than just trading it in. It gets full annual maintenance every May by my Merc guy. I think its about a 2010-2011 yr.
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys for the input. I had the mechanic look at it today and it turns out the problem is the lower unit. I will keep it and get the LU replaced. I have never blown an engine but I thought for sure that was the issue.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,384 AG
    lowerkeys wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the input. I had the mechanic look at it today and it turns out the problem is the lower unit. I will keep it and get the LU replaced. I have never blown an engine but I thought for sure that was the issue.

Was it knocking like it threw a rod?
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Was it knocking like it threw a rod?

Yes