Home Tropics

Short Term Island Prep 2014/15

124»

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Well thats good to hear you're away from that hole up there. Hope everything else is good...

This trip starts Friday. Separate thread as usual will share the info. Weather crossing to Bimini looks ok. Next leg to Gun looks sloppy then beam chop across the flats to the corner... Protected on the yellowbar side and the back wall shouldn't be too bad. I'd think it will slop up closer to joulters. Lot of people curse the north wind at Chub but I've done pretty good on it. Just different areas than when the preferred south east gets going...
    Twice as much bait as I was expecting showed up. Took up some extra space but packed neatly its not too bad. Fenders, spare dock lines, and loads of other stuff made it aboard... Weather looks like its gonna suck on Saturday. Hope we can get out of the cut at Bimini with no issues of draft. It was getting pretty skinny right at the bend of the channel last trip. Even a little chop can sink already deep wheels awful close to that polishing point...
    Forecast just isn't good to risk cut at Bimini. This boat is quick, big and eats up a big sea pretty good... So we are gonna do Lucaya as our jump off point and have wind at our back across the 40 miles of channel and 30 or so of flats on Saturday.
    With that run behind us. Focus turned back local for a few days and just locked in another Chub run leaving in two weeks with the 42. Being ahead on all the gear really helps out being one less thing to worry about. Grab some spare filters and extra oil along with other fluids and that end is done. We just did the oil changes so thats covered... I even got caught back up on replacing my stolen gear and more than enough to make this run with.
    55 transmission being worked on. Possible but not sure we might do a Bimini blue marlin/ giant tuna run late May...
    Pulled tackle for the run. Doing this a zillion times you would think I would have it memorized and on auto pilot but after being "done" I checked my list and missed a lot... Grrr... Have local trip two days before to complicate things so cant take one set off and put other on til thats done...
    Ran first van full to boat today and began stowing. Man! Forgot how many rods I take before I feel right. We use six trolling outfits and bring entire spare set. Then we use four bottom rods with full back up set so we are already up to twenty... No yellowtail plans so at least that is off the table... No portable freezer this run but a small one on top of the fridge will hold 9 six packs and 9 dozen packs of hoos. Barely enough but all the space we have. We do have freezer space on island for fish as well as rest of fridge. Possible I will bring one more cooler with bait and freeze that side but with a stop in Bimini that may not be all that practical trying to keep from thawing...
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Hi Compleat, Just curious, what do you guys use for reliable weather reports for crossing and while in the Berrys?
    We only have marine VHF and I realise this won,t cut it.I have a ham usb & ssb receiver that I plan on bringing.I,m also thinking of buying a Delormme In-Reach Sat. texting device and subscribing to Chris Parkers weather forecasting for a more detailed report of this area.By the way I don't know how you Captains do it ,forget the work load the pressure alone to try and make everything perfect would kill me. Thanks. Lu
    The lap top comes in handy... Weather forecasts over there sick at best. I use a European site called wind finder. It has no forecast for hub itself but does for Lyford Cay which is west end of Nassau's island, New Providence.
    http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lyford_cay

Then I plug in Great Harbour which is the "other side" and get a pretty good idea of what is going on from that.
    http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/great_harbour_cay_bajito

I also use buoy weather... for like next day forecasts (too cheap to get full subscription). :)
    Some of the boats I have been running have sirius or xm forecasts some of which overlay right on gps screen.
    Awesome, thanks for the link. Didn't know about windfinder,that one should do (one I can actually read).My only fear is reliable wi-fi.
    We shall see .Thanks again.Lu
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Compleat wrote: »
    The lap top comes in handy... Weather forecasts over there sick at best. I use a European site called wind finder. It has no forecast for hub itself but does for Lyford Cay which is west end of Nassau's island, New Providence.
    http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lyford_cay

Then I plug in Great Harbour which is the "other side" and get a pretty good idea of what is going on from that.
    http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/great_harbour_cay_bajito

I also use buoy weather... for like next day forecasts (too cheap to get full subscription). :)
    Some of the boats I have been running have sirius or xm forecasts some of which overlay right on gps screen.

when venturing out in remote areas, i strongly suggest you have xm or sirius weather. the last thing you need is to get caught in a bad storm and have no real available form of assistance. i've said this often, i dont leave my dock on my boat without it. it is one of the most important safety tools to have. it has gotten me out of a few jams.

Well I have the weather radio and long distance communications thing figured out. Do you guys recommend a sea anchor as something necessary? Also I figure there's no sea tow 100 miles offshore, so we pretty much have to be self reliant.Taking a tow line seems like a good idea,but tow-manship is a skill none of us have.The Biminni crossings have set in a false sense of security. 50 miles is much different than 150 and I'm starting to realise this with less than 2 weeks to go.Yikes.Thanks Lu
    What kind of boat do you have? One of the headaches I encounter on some boats is lack of space to stow everything I might want. If you don't bring it you can't get it is the mind set but space sometimes limits what you can carry and then prioritizing becomes an important factor...
    Other little things come into play. For example: If fishing at night I leave motors running. Depthfinder, radio, lights, live well all drain batteries and last thing I want is dead cell when I go to start...
    Thanks for the reply. 2 boats on this outing a 37ft Sea Ray( brand new maybe 5 hrs has me a little worried) and a 30ft cc(proven boat)
    Plenty of room on the SR not so much on the center,but we will be crossing together.Looks like we're going to miss you guys by a week.
    We leave May 3-9.Hope to fish the pocket a few times. Compleat any thoughts on the Albermarle 36 with Volvos? Thanks. Lu
    Well you know I own an Albemarle don't you? Rock solid, take on any sea. Doesn't drift as well as some but it was born to troll. Fish raisers as well. On those dates hit the pocket as early as you can. After the moon it will quiet down a lot... Remember coming across the flat from GH to the pocket to keep north and get around that shoal that is north and west of the NWCL, You need to go about four miles past the tip then double back once clear of it.
    Sounds like you got room and really kind of your own "insurance" policy by pair crossing... I see some use anchor line as "tow line". Might consider something heavier and maybe 150' of it if you want to go that route...

Couple more loads aboard the Blue Sky... Weather looks good for crossing but storms around for our local trip on Tuesday. I want to fish but will not put people in harms way when it comes to high voltage reminders that nature will win if toyed with.
    Right now I have ample supply of tackle aboard her but already doing my never satisfied thing. Add a little? Swap a couple pieces? Couple more lures? Try something new? Dust off and resurrect something I havn't used in a while? Oh well... If thats the biggest concern I have right now I guess I'm ahead of the game...
    Again thanks for the advice.Just slightly nervous for not having been that far off U.S shores.Good luck on your next trip.Thanks.Lu
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Lu, do you have an EPIRB?

Hi Alacrity,each boat will have an EPIRB.I'll also have a PLB, a Delorme In-Reach, SSB band receiver and handheld along with the usual marine VHF W/DSC. on the boat I'll be on.I will also have a couple hundred feet of tow line.No sat phone,sea anchor life raft or ssb transceiver tho, but with 2 boats we should be ok.I'm most worried about lightning but we can work around as you know.Thanks for asking.Lu
    After a long night of mixing and matching stuff in my head I could only settle on adding a couple blue marlin lures to the collection we are bringing. I use the same ones pretty much all the time at Chub but this is a different boat and may have a different "sweet speed" so I'm covering that base.
    I'm big on redundancy. Spares for every thing. I have two full sets which is more than enough for a quick trip like this but after so many years of doing long ones my head was wanting to add a third. Almost an addiction that has to be dealt with by applying logic to it. Its a smaller boat than many I run, space is limited and enough is enough...
    I considered swapping two mono rigs for the bottom for a couple with braid but braid doesn't do well on rocks. Of course i could top shoot them with mono but that would lead me back to what I already have so its a wash.
    Today for the engine room i went over every hose, wire, valve, and anything I could access from the outside. Put enough oil down there to do a full change with spare should something let go. Loads of filters of course were stowed. Steering, transmission, and coolants all buried as well.
    Just mentioned it in another thread... Weather right now looks more favorable to go to Lucaya then down to Chub the next day. Since time isn't an issue might clear West End then fish to Lucaya. While crossing channel distinct possibility of tuna so adding a spread of trollables for that. Have a bunch of bottom chunks cut and that could even be used...
    Reports from all around the islands show slow on the billfish. Rum, crooked, eluthera report dead slow. Abaco same thing... couple dolphin. Chub couple dolphin and stray wahoo. Moon just switching so it should improve quick.
  • youngeryounger Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Vike Driver, DeepC, Compleat, how many aliases do you have?
    Brian Young, Realtor
    Five Star Realty of Charlotte County Inc., Broker
    [email protected]
    www.fivestarrealty.com
    941-769-3803
    Compleat is FS handle... Had that before I owned Deep C.
  • SFDaveSFDave Posts: 85 Deckhand
    What happened to Compleat? I enjoy reading his posts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm around... Have been up north chasing makos is all. Back in Fla for a few days. Back with the 61 for a couple local trips, reload then back north for tuna and marlin. Have new client up there that needs me for next week. May well have an island run back down here soon on the 48 or the 61 or both but not locked in yet. Then back up there for Ocean City White Marlin and Mid Atlantic tournaments. Then more back and forth til fall when we are trying to piece together almost weekly island runs on the various boats....