Any Ficht owners with over 1000 hours? 2000? 3000?

Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 401 Deckhand
I'm stuck and can't make a decision. I can't decide whether to spend $2500 on a new EMM to revive my 2001 Ficht 135 or to sell it to a wholesaler (and get $900 ) for parts and buy a new outboard. It only has 599 hours. I can spend the money on a new outboard, but I'm not thrilled at my options. I don't know of many ETEC owners with 2000+ hours. I don't want to give my $$$ to Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki really. I love my Ficht but its current, original EMM has failed 3x :banghead

Is it capable of reaching 1000 hours or more? Everything is great, except the EMM. Compression is 110 on 3 sides, and 115 on the other 3 cylinders. I run engine tuner each spring. Change spark plugs/water pump every Feb. I spend the money for 90 oct non ethanol and add BRP carbon guard, 2+4 conditioner, and fuel system cleaner. What is the life expectancy on the original fuel injectors? Are those expensive to replace down the road? What other parts do I need to consider? Or should just move on and get a new outboard?

Thank you all in advance.
German Shepherd Dogs rule! Adopt one today.

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    How many hours are you getting between EMM repairs ?
    I sent mine to DFI in Orange Beach, Al. x2 & got ~400-500hrs after the 1st ~$700 repair & it was going strong (w/>1000hrs total) when I traded it a few years ago...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 401 Deckhand
    I get about 200 hours between each repair. The 1st two repairs with DFI was due to overheating. Water cooling passages apparently had debris. I fish mostly inshore. This 3rd time is not due to overheating. Voltage not getting to the coils. Electrical issue. Same, original EMM. Thanks for the reply.

How many hours are you getting between EMM repairs ?
    I sent mine to DFI in Orange Beach, Al. x2 & got ~400-500hrs after the 1st ~$700 repair & it was going strong (w/>1000hrs total) when I traded it a few years ago...
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I get about 200 hours between each repair. The 1st two repairs with DFI was due to overheating. Water cooling passages apparently had debris. I fish mostly inshore. This 3rd time is not due to overheating. Voltage not getting to the coils. Electrical issue. Same, original EMM. Thanks for the reply.

I think mine was all due to overheating also... Water gets pretty shallow around my lift at low tide... Personally I'd have a hard time spending $2500 for an EMM for a 14yo old Ficht (even w/~600hrs). I'd take that $2500 + $900 for the Ficht & save my pennies & try to find ~5yo 4S w/similar hours...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • BillgranBillgran Posts: 334 Deckhand
    There soon may be a 3rd company that will repair the FICHT/DI ECU's and EMM's but for now there are two.

marinecomputersupply.com and dfitechnologies.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

• Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 401 Deckhand
    Yep, dealt with both of them unfortunately. How come BRP doesn't do repairs? I'm sure most of us would prefer them to an outside company, assuming the pricing was close.
    They do for some models, but they do not always have enough cores so only a large number are done at once. They are talking about discontinuing the repaired ones and only do the new ones.

--- Travis McGee

• BaggerBagger Posts: 115 Deckhand
    I have just under 1200 hrs. But not without some issues. Had to rebuild the computers around the 600-700 point. (dfitechnologies.com)

Other than that: starter , fuel pump, oil pump but consider that somewhat normal ware and tear

2001 225's x two
    Bagger..... :USA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CDI Electronics is now repairing EMMs. They say they dynamically test them on engines before they get shipped out, not just bench tested.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/ficht/

I have worked on many FICHT engines that were in the 1000 and 2000 hour range and one that was close 3000 hours. All were in commercial fishing, crabbing, or law enforcement.

--- Travis McGee