Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Low, Hot, and Dirty

What a tuff few days...brutal really. Mornings in the dark are near 80 degrees...and the sun peeking over the horizon feels like a blow torch with very little wind. The river has been very low also...typical of June. Also, the water is pretty poor as soon as you get south of the ramp...some very bad. The "up" side is the dredge is all packed up and gone...so that won't be stirring stuff up anymore.
Anyway, I've been beating my head against a wall with the stubborn fish up around Sebastian. I have been able to do OK on up sized snook relative to down south...some nice ones that will be in the slot soon enough. But that is the bright spot. Reds were mixed in with the snook but not hitting. Trout have been tuff unless I go pull a few small ones out of a little spot I have....and it is no guarantee either. The other day the only fish I hooked in there was a big jack...you know the ones..the ones everyone says are 10 lbs...but really are only about 5 :wink and the water was so hot....it really did not put up the fight it should have. With the heat being so bad and the bite shutting off within a few minutes of sunrise I have taken a few exploritory runs up and down the beach looking to bump into the Silver King...but would not snub a nice light tackle Bonita... but the beach held only blues, Jacks, and blue runners for me.
Most days I quit early...9 or so but on Tuesday I was at the ramp at 8 due to having to be down in Vero. My son got an award.

20150623_094257_zpsjcssmydc.jpg

He is far left... It was a lifesaving medal.

20150623_095845_zpsn2bb2r0y.jpg

My Grandaughter is also proud of her Daddy.

So, Today I decided to do a change of venue...and launched at Wabasso in the off color water....and it actually paid off.
I went 4 for 7 on snook and caught 2 bottom slot Trout...a mangrove snapper and after days of being held off a slam by persnickitty Reds..got this one.

IMG_20150625_085223_zpsofi2a6sn.jpg

So, it makes #53 ....back on the trailer at 9...HOT!
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• wojtek9321wojtek9321 Posts: 74 Deckhand
    Congratulations to your son and family. Very nice to see real heros get the recognition they deserve.

Awesome day fishing with the slam! It has been hot, brutally. Hope to catch a break soon from it all I hope but doubt it lol.
    The Fleet
    1989 Chris Craft Seahawk 215
    2004 250HP Yamaha HPDI

2000 Polar 1886 Saltwater Skiff
    2000 90HP Yamaha 2S
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 473 Deckhand
    Your the man.........:hail:hail:hail
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    Great day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,910 Admiral
    sounds promising... looking forward to the the 3rd!

hope to be well enough to get out... sickest i have been in my life right now.
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,052 Captain
    Having successful kids is about the only thing trumping your success on the water
    Nice work on both
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,929 AG
    Thanks Monty...
    He was very matter of fact about it..." I don't think I need a medal for doing my job...but they didn't ask if I wanted it...they TOLD ME I'm getting it" :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    OK...Did the Wabasso thing...was a bit slower today but i hit different spots and had some off luck too.
    First spot was a jack...then nothing till in one little spot I jumped off a snook...then caught this Red

IMG_20150626_064822_zpss2uih2un.jpg

(sorry, bad pic..not sure why its out of focus)

Then, lost a nice flounder at the boat. :cry Ran to a spot I have not been for a long while and missed a couple fish..had what I think was a red pull off..and then caught a pretty good size 'Cuda. Left that and I hit a few other spots till I got a slot trout...I then hit a couple more places till I finally got a small snook at 8 :40 making it #54... One more spot and caught a small snook and lost one snook.
    On the trailer before 10..
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    One more notch - another nice day on the water
    The good ones are never seeking recognition, they are just trying to help people
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

573-216-4078

• FlecFlec Posts: 705 Officer
    AOKRVs wrote: »
    One more notch - another nice day on the water
    The good ones are never seeking recognition, they are just trying to help people

Helpful for sure.....No recognition...not so sure. Glad it was another enjoyable day on the water.
  • dwbiggsdwbiggs Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Jeez...if you are complaining about the conditions and fish I may as well leave the boat in the garage. :huh

Congrats to you and your son...very honorable profession! :thumbsup
    Flec wrote: »
    Helpful for sure.....No recognition...not so sure. Glad it was another enjoyable day on the water.

My point was that most people in the service industry are not "in it" for the medals or getting their name in the paper.
    Especially the First Responders. It takes a special kind of person to go into a place where most are running from.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

573-216-4078

• Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,032 Officer
    Congrats on your boys award….gotta make you proud!
    Thanks all...Yes, I am proud of my son.....For many reasons...but I am happy for him that he was recognized for his work.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I will throw this up quick. Dropped in at Wabasso....caught 6 snook ranging from tiny to OK...Got this Red

20150627_075651_zps7hekg70d.jpg

and worked pretty had to find a trout.... That makes #55 On the trailer by 9 :05 Broiler today
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • FlecFlec Posts: 705 Officer
    Flec wrote: »

My bad. I mistook what he was referring to. We are fortunate and thankful to have first responders like him!
    I did about the same run as yesterday. Launched at Wabasso. I wasted a bit of time trying to get a snook right away but the water was too low for my spots.
    l then ran south and my next spot gave up a jack..and then a trout. I am usually happy to get the trout put away early since that may actually be the hardest fish of the three. Moved and next spot I see a Red but no luck. Just ahead about 100 yards I see minnows getting assaulted and pull a decent size snook from that spot. Kept at it but not much was happening till I caught a 'cuda. It was getting later and warmer and I found a bit of clean water. I finally spot a nice top slot Red...make a good cast...It darts ahead inhales the jig and when I set the hook....the leader knot breaks. :cry I saw one other Red in the area but no luck with that one. It's after 9 and i'm heading home but do the " Last stop"....and the water is surprisingly good. Bump 2 Reds...then make a good shot and get this one.

20150628_094453_zps7mduugzl.jpg

9:45 and that makes #56 ..... Stay a bit longer but the heat is on and I'm on the trailer just past 10.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Congrats to your son.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
    Congrats to your son.

Thank you!...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I probably should do something different...but I usually wait till I have a bad trip for that.
    Today I was the only one at the ramp in Wabasso ( Ah, Monday :grin )
    The first two spots are empty but the third spot I have a fish pull off...keep moving and have another pull off...:banghead
    Keep at it and finally get a pretty nice trout about 17 - 18 inches. Next spot is empty except for a catfish but the next spot I pull 2 snook that were punching well above their weight....Felt big but it must have been the current since they were only 22-23 inches.
    Things slow by 8 and i'm not seeing much happen..... bumped a Red and finally at 9:35 got a small Red.

20150629_093041_zpsmawa97ew.jpg

That's #57 ...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Well done Joe.
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    Impressive, as always.
    So, The water is still hot...but lower and dirtier it seems.

Yesterday, my son was working out of rank as engineer on the quint at station 9 ( Roseland ) and since he was close I launched at Yacht club so we could get a little over an hour of fishing in together. He is always so busy you have to take opportunities as the come. It was no big banger but just before I had to drop him off we found a few trout...He caught 3 with a nice 21 incher and I caught 2 low slots...back on the trailer early to do stuff with the grandkids.

Today I launched at Wabasso to some of the lowest water I can remember. First spot was empty but I decided to try a different spot since conditions were so out of whack. After a bit I saw some disturbance and started to get excited...it was a tailing Red! We see darn few of those and the first cast was a little too long but I didn't want to get it too close and scare it. Next cast is the right one and bang! Fish on..... No monster but in the slot.

20150701_064529_zpskr2vmnfo.jpg

I kept at it looking here and there but it was very still with no bait around anywhere. I hit one spot way south and picked up a nice snook. Heading back north I hit a flat edge and get a nice size Mangrove that I was tempted to keep..but put back.
    The next spot I find some tiny minnows and after a bunch of casts get a hit...and it's a trout that shakes loose.
    Well, out of trout spots I make a long run north and two stops later get this...

20150701_093240_zpsitrdoyhv.jpg

Not easy to find a trout that will eat plastic at 9:35 so I was happy.
    At the ramp at 10 with #58...which is the half way point to last years total.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled