Home General Hunting

Bear skin rug question...

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
For a full rug with head... do taxidermists use actual skull or a form for open mouth? I think a rug would be pretty cool... I'd also like skull for euro mount, though.

Anybody know ABOUT what charge might be to have one done?
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• mikelavinemikelavine Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    For a full rug with head... do taxidermists use actual skull or a form for open mouth? I think a rug would be pretty cool... I'd also like skull for euro mount, though.

Anybody know ABOUT what charge might be to have one done?

It would be a form
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Plastic teeth, mouth and tongue also.

Claws are real as well as the pads on the feet.

Skull makes a nice mount by itself (not with missing teeth) like the gator.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    RexLan wrote: »

Skull makes a nice mount by itself (not with missing teeth) like the gator.

For sure. Kind of irritating that FWC wants to snatch one out.
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Usually they want the 1st pre-molar, for aging, which is the small tooth behind the business teeth (Canines). If you're really careful and take both it isn't too noticeable. May even be able to buy a fake replacement. Been a very long time since I messed with this stuff.

I'd take it out for them before you give it for inspection. A sharp pointed knife or small tipped screwdriver works well. All I ever used was a Buck folding hunter and a Buck Beaver for skinning or a curved blade old Dexter and a small hatchet to split the pelvis and brisket.. Seemed to work on 1000# ++ moose, grizzly and rabbits (snowshoe hares).

If the check station folks are real rookies they will tear it up pretty good or will want to cut a section out of the jaw ... LOL.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    Cut a section of jaw? I think not.
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Cut a section of jaw? I think not.

Wouldn't surprise me. You should see some of the folks at the checked stations pull the jaw out of a deer. I mean dang, you would think as many as they do they would have plenty of practice. It's quite entertaining. So I would imagine most if not all are green when it comes to Bears.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.