Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Exciting Day... (PC)

...but not fishing-wise. Was loading the boat at 4:30 am. As I'm standing in the boat I see a police cruiser with its lights off coming around the corner and think, "Well, this is not gonna be good." Sure enough he jumps out of the car with gun drawn and pointing at us and yelling, "Let's see some hands!" I did my best to make my hands Mikey Mouse sized. As he's having my friend walk backwards towards him another cruiser rolls up. Then another. And another (final tally was 6 cars/officers). Then I have to climb out of the boat and walk backwards w/ hands up and a gun pointed at me. Turns out the neighbor saw my friend in the boat, tried to call me but I had the ringer off. She apparently told 911 that she was worried the "robbers" had broken into my house, hurt me/tied me up and were making off with my boat. In the end I thanked the neighbor and the cops for their diligence and response. No blood/no foul. I will say, though, that Ronnie Van Zant knew what he was talking about....it ain't no fun staring straight down a .44 (or .40 as the case may be).

Then we had a front row seat for the Space X explosion.

Then we caught jack-crap for fish. One undersized peanut at Pelican Flats on a semi-formed weedline. Tried slow trolling live bait. Trolling plastic and ballyhoos. Then ran out to the Titan Rocket to drop some live bait. As we were rigging up one of the charter boats rolled up to the same spot...I was thinking, "Great, he knows what he's doing so this should be a good spot." We both got squat. Came back into the Lumps and drifted more live bait. Nothing. On the way in we took a peak at the buoys. On one them found a couple of cobia. Threw a chunk bait at them and immediate hook. Cool. This trip is salvaged! Wait a minute, what's that sucker thing on top of my nice cobe's head? Doh. About par for the day.

Replies

• bighardeybighardey Posts: 418 Deckhand
    well....that is a heck of a way to start your day off...at least you had folks looking out for you, look at he bright side, you were on the boat and it was beautiful outside...other than the rocket mishap...cheers to next time!
  • HighSpeedPursuitHighSpeedPursuit Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Love the cobia part, had many a trip like that.
    ...but not fishing-wise. Was loading the boat at 4:30 am. As I'm standing in the boat I see a police cruiser with its lights off coming around the corner and think, "Well, this is not gonna be good." Sure enough he jumps out of the car with gun drawn and pointing at us and yelling, "Let's see some hands!" I did my best to make my hands Mikey Mouse sized. As he's having my friend walk backwards towards him another cruiser rolls up. Then another. And another (final tally was 6 cars/officers). Then I have to climb out of the boat and walk backwards w/ hands up and a gun pointed at me. Turns out the neighbor saw my friend in the boat, tried to call me but I had the ringer off. She apparently told 911 that she was worried the "robbers" had broken into my house, hurt me/tied me up and were making off with my boat. In the end I thanked the neighbor and the cops for their diligence and response. No blood/no foul. I will say, though, that Ronnie Van Zant knew what he was talking about....it ain't no fun staring straight down a .44 (or .40 as the case may be).

Then we had a front row seat for the Space X explosion.

Then we caught jack-crap for fish. One undersized peanut at Pelican Flats on a semi-formed weedline. Tried slow trolling live bait. Trolling plastic and ballyhoos. Then ran out to the Titan Rocket to drop some live bait. As we were rigging up one of the charter boats rolled up to the same spot...I was thinking, "Great, he knows what he's doing so this should be a good spot." We both got squat. Came back into the Lumps and drifted more live bait. Nothing. On the way in we took a peak at the buoys. On one them found a couple of cobia. Threw a chunk bait at them and immediate hook. Cool. This trip is salvaged! Wait a minute, what's that sucker thing on top of my nice cobe's head? Doh. About par for the day.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Interesting read & I'm sure a day that will linger.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.