Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Looking to buy my first spear gun... recommendations?

Got dive certified in April. Looking to buy a versatile spear gun. Currently considering:

MAKO Spearguns Predator Pro 2G Spearfishing Spear Gun 100cm
- Twin 16mm Bands
- Open Muzzle
- Mini Shark Fin Shaft
- Butt pad

Would like to start off shooting some small things but I'm sure I won't be able to resist the first cobia that swims by... though I'm little nervous about underwater wrestling matches.

Don't need anything high-end just good yet durable.

Replies

• hammerhead911hammerhead911 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Where are you gonna be diving? Scuba or freediving?
  • SebagolowSebagolow Posts: 23 Greenhorn
  • Dolphinman432Dolphinman432 Posts: 148 Officer
    I like jbl. my only recmmendation is not to get a wooden gun if you mostly scuba dive as ive heard of a few people losing them from them floating up to the surface if your not paying attention.
    Follow me on instagram @capt_askey for frequent pictures of my fishing adventures! Sailfish Alley Outfitters Sponsored team member.
  • LONGSHOT25LONGSHOT25 Posts: 92 Deckhand
    I have been using an AB BILLER 48 Special for 20+ years. No complaints!
    Started with a Biller 48 out of SI. Bought a Riffe 3xs for Jupiter and the cleaner water. Riffe has move range and more power but I've still killed probably twice the amount of stuff with the Biller. Biller has taken down cobia, AJ's, grouper etc. It's also half the price if money is a concern.
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below MiccoPosts: 3,823 Moderator
    Don't buy a metal spear gun they are crap, Biller is an awesome gun in the price range you can go up but in all reality you only need to if you are doing it commercially.
    smilie_dance.gif
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,200 Captain
    I started with a 42in biller, then upgraded to a 48. I started out scuba, then no only free dive. Biller is a good all around gun that is hard to beat. Like with most things, one gun is better at doing one thing better than the next.

You can add lead to the butt of your wood gun so it will not float up once the shaft is off.

There are plenty of other websites dedicated to spearfishing that you will get more info from as well.
    On scuba I prefer a gun that floats. I can work a fish on the bottom and the gun and line are above me out of the way. If I need to secure the gun I put my arm through the bands and the gun floats under my arm pit. I know it is all personal preference but I like everything outta my way as much as possible. Of course if you are gonna free shaft then it's a whole different story.
  • bkw4287bkw4287 Posts: 140 Officer
    My first gun was a JBL Sawed off. It has 3 bands and has plenty of power. I actually liked that the gun was wood and floated, plus wood guns make less noise when you pull the trigger..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fyshfynderfyshfynder Posts: 59 Deckhand
    bkw4287 wrote: »
    My first gun was a JBL Sawed off. It has 3 bands and has plenty of power. I actually liked that the gun was wood and floated, plus wood guns make less noise when you pull the trigger..

My thoughts exactly bkw4287. My first gun was also a jbl sawed off. And yes it floats, but if you pay attention and stick your arm through the bands when stringing a fish, you won't have a problem.