Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

More on Amendment 40

harbisonharbison Posts: 5,468 Admiral
I am a native Florida recreational fisherman. I grew up when fishing was FREE with equal access for one and all. NOAA, heavily influenced by the so called 'environmentalist' such as EDF, has, with Sector Separation, succeeded in taking equal access away from the American salt water fisherman. First Amendment 40; next up NOAA's catch shares program takes the FREE out of fishing. Want to catch & keep a red snapper? No problem! Simply march down to our friendly Walmart and BUY a share to do so.
NOAA, as well as the Gulf Council, must answer to the Department of Commerce. The American fisherman has been able to get little to NO help from any of the above.
The five gulf states are represented by the Gulf Council:
Gulf%20Council%20members_zpsn7qyaema.png
Dr Crabtree, Regional Administrator, is a voting member on both the Gulf Council and South Atlantic Regional Management Council. He is a strong supporter of Amendment 40; of shares/separation:
roy_zps87ncvqin.jpg
Dr Crabtree's contact information:

NMFS
Dr. Roy Crabtree,
Regional Administrator email

Phil Steele (designee) email
National Marine Fisheries Service
263 13th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701
727-824-5301

727-824-5320

Dr. Pam Dana is the Florida recreational 'representative' on the Gulf Council.
pam_zpstqmf7nlw.jpg
Amendment 40 separated the for hire and private recreational fisherman. This bill is directly responsible for the for hire ONLY extending of the ARS season until July 14. The Gulf Council's own web sight reported a 90 + public rejection rate of Sector Separation...Amendment 40. With complete disregard for public opinion the Gulf Council, including Dr. Pam Dana, voted in favor of Amendment 40. The Bill was signed into law by the Department of Commerce.
Dr. Pam Dana contact information:
Pamella Dana email
Sure Lure Charter Company
P.O. Box 1575
Destin, FL 32540 2011/2017
Rec/at large 850-556-5798
850-650-3212

Pam%20Dana_zpskmnvupqr.jpg

Department of Commerce contact information:
Mail
U.S. Department of Commerce
1401 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20230

Phone
Main line: (202) 482-2000

One of the most overwhelming forces in the entire universe is the voice of the American people. However, through apathy, this voice is often silent. If only 10% of those involved with fishing would be willing to fight for what should be ours, we could control instead of being controlled.

Bob Harbison A concerned native Florida Sportsman

Replies

• Manwich710Manwich710 Posts: 61 Deckhand
    so do you have to buy a share to keep a ARS or is that whats coming?
  • toomertoomer Posts: 348 Deckhand
    As bad as all this is getting let me offer a not so tongue-in-cheek alternative for the casual rec fisherman: Just go fishing. If you catch a couple ARS, filet, stow securely, dispose of evidence, spray down deck and be cool (or just eat them out there). Bring home some "legal" species in the box and filet them at the dock like nothing happened.

Most of you guys on here are reps or well-knowns to LEA's or your respective constituencies, so I don't expect amens or huzzahs. But this would be my response to a world gone mad. Just don't tell anybody.
  • RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 612 Officer
    Hannity said something yesterday that talks about what you said toomer.

When the government passes an immoral law, a law that questions your morals to follow it, what are you supposed to do? Most people I feel are law-abiding and law respecting people. People do not generally want to break the law.

When the government passes a law that makes an acitivty that you partake in illegal you have some choices to make. You can follow the letter of the law, and discontinue said activity, and that could force you to do something you feel is either immoral, or that the act of passing the law was immoral. OR you can choose to not follow the law, and that case you have lost respect for the rule of law. This country is a nation of laws and not a nation of people. So if you choose to disrespect the rule of law, no matter if the law is moral, you are advancing lawlessness, and in and of its self, shredding the constitution. When you follow an immoral law, you subjugate your self to people who think they understand morality better than you, and should therefore be entitled to rule your day to day. In this case you now have lost the ability to choose your own set of values and morality.

How does a republic get past such a glaring conflict of interest?
  • toomertoomer Posts: 348 Deckhand
    Very thoughtful and challenging reply. I realize I am advocating law breaking. I have been an obey the rules kind of guy on most things all my life. Hell, I was a school principal. But at the same time I always have had a rebellious streak in the face of tyranny. Our government has acted tyrannically in its efforts to regulate our fisheries. Tyranny deserves no respect. Tyranny must be fought on all fronts and for the average citizen, civil disobedience is a logical option.

The specific tyranny laid on the rec sector by sector separation steps over the moral line you described above and to me is no different than any number of historical examples throughout American history. It is contemptible and unjust and as such I have no problem responding as I described above.

As for where do you draw the line? Well, I just did.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,595 Captain
    100% of the fishermen I have talked to just say "F-Em - it has gotten so ridiculous that I am going to fish when/where I want."

Anyone remember what happened when an ideological minority imposed their will on the majority with Prohibition? Same thing happened then as is happening here, and AM 40 will suffer the same fate as the only amendment to the US Constitution to have been repealed. When you make criminals out of the average American, law enforcement can't (or won't) enforce the law and then they repeal the law.

Somebody needs to make a bumper sticker; "When they outlaw snapper, only outlaws will have snapper".
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Considering the recent SCOTUS ruling based on 14th Amendment principles

We as anglers deserve equal protection just as much as the next guy and so...

Is it equal protection as it is right now....

The commercial sector were given fish to fish as they choose, when they choose.
    The CFH crowd were GIVEN a significant portion of the recreational fish, and soon will fish it as they choose, when they choose.

All private anglers deserve the exact same protections under the 14th as a commercial or a CFH fisher....
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes