Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Not Wabasso but a bit further North

Been up on Martha's Vineyard for the past few weeks and reading about the furnace hot weather on the Indian River. I gotta admit I'm not missing what you guys are going thru.

I've been Striper fishing up here 4-5 nights each week and have been getting anywhere from 3-12 fish each night all on floating Sebile Stick Shads and White Hogy's. You have to like fishing late cause most nights the bite gets good after 11pm and can go till 3:00am or later. The nights are a cool 55-65 degrees and the days have been in the upper 60s and low 70s.

Had a great night last night and ended up with 9 fish, the biggest going 38" and weighing close to 20 lbs. It's back was nearly 9" across and she was fat. Most fish have been in the 22"-28" range and the limit here is 1 fish at 28" or bigger.

Coming back home to Indian River Shores on July 3 and will be back on the river checking things out and sweating…….yuk.

Replies

• tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    wish I had done some stripper fishing when I lived in Maine. Sounds like it cooled down up there quite a lot. It was hot in Maine a while ago. Good fish, thanks for the report.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    Super work George! Looks like a very light and sporty set up you are using. Are you beach walking or on a jetty?

The first trip out down here is going to make you wish you booked the whole summer up north.....those temps sound like Heaven.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 657 Officer
    GIANT BLACK MULLET!!
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,032 Officer
    Hey Joe…all the catching has been done on the beach near Lobsterville in Aquinnah in water 2'-3'. Some of the larger fish were actually caught behind me when I was wading no more than 10' from shore in knee deep water. It's a blast to watch a 30" fish blow up a plug in shallow water between you and the beach! Couple fish made me scream like a school girl when they hit 6' from the rod tip in the black of the night…pretty funny. There are some really big sharks up here and I've actually seen two Great Whites finning on the surface no more than 100 yards off the beach…very humbling.

I love to go light and I'm using a 7'6" ML Crowder, 12lb mono, 30lb fluoro leader on a 4000 Stradic. Going back out tonight - last night caught another 5 with the largest going 29".
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    Enjoy it while you got it...I just checked weather a few minutes ago....95 degrees with heat index at 105.....

I like the whole idea of cool weather and big fish!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you