Running Egret 189 in 10K

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
Started running my Egret 189 around 10K and was looking for feedback from others running this rig. I know I have seen a few of them around.

Where is the best ramp to launch?

What areas to steer clear of completely?

How to pick days for winter tides?

Fishing in the back vs. outside?

Other?

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 945 Officer
    Launch at Everglades City or at Choko. Be advised that you sort of need to know where to jump up on plane coming out of both area's no wake zones depending on your track as once you leave the short spots that are deeper it may be very challenging to get up on plane at lower water levels in your boat. Particularly at Choko. I ran 100s of miles there at dead low over the course of a week figuring all of that out. Not too horrible for a novice to that area to negotiate but only if you have excellent aerial imagery on your chart plotter. Still clearly not for the faint of heart for anyone really and about as challenging an area to navigate as you will find anywhere since it is hard to see with the darker water and the minefields of oysters and banks. Similar to Cedar Key but far more expansive. If you don't have an FMT chip that shows you exactly where to run on the hi res aerials or just a garmin map etc, expect a tremendous amount of anxiety figuring it out and go slower if your not following someone else.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Thanks. What brands of GPS are compatible with the FMT chip and which do you believe is best? Maybe it's time for a change.
    So it is feasible to run to the outside or even in the back with this boat?
    So it is feasible to run to the outside or even in the back with this boat?

Totally feasible. Your boat runs pretty skinny and can get around there fine. That is not the problem.

The problem is knowing exactly where to run and where not to run. Run where you are not supposed to at the wrong time and it will be trouble. The water is very dark and you cannot see most of the obstacles if they are covered even with just a little water. There were three egret 18s there including mine the week I did my trip.

Contact Jack (Flywater Witch) as he runs his 18 around over there quite often. Also flatsboy just ran his 21 around over there I think for the first time and he came out with no issues (but was running FMT and avoid all of the oysters I ran into figuring it out) . Jack is an expert running that area. If you want FMT you will have to sell your Garmin and get a Simrad, Lowrance or other under the Navico line.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,337 Officer
    I will normally run out of Port of the islands if I'm fishing the back country or Goodland so I can get bait and run south nice ramps at boat locations. Fishing out of Everglades city & Choko you need knowledge and understanding the tides there like Egret Landing said but very doable most of the time. Negative tides there are pretty ugly.

Rod and Gun Club Everglades City $20 launch fee

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Everglades+Rod+and+Gun+Club/@25.85814,-81.387264,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xbe6ccb140c6abc5b?sa=X&ei=AVqIVd6dJYO8yQTX34r4DQ&ved=0CIIBEPwSKAAwCw

Chokoloskee $20 ramp fee

http://www.chokoloskee.com/Marina.htm

http://www.outdoorresortsofchokoloskee.com/Chokoloskee/Home.html
    Nice ramp Ramp fee $8

http://www.portoftheislandsmarina.com/

Great facility $8 to launch
    http://theshipstore.com/home/the-ship-store-at-goodland-boating-park-marina-naples-fl/
  • gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
    I have the FMT chip with an HDS 12 Gen3. Although I've not used it yet in unfamiliar areas, it is great even in the areas I usually fish. It is terrific to see such a realistic view from above. It is so realistic...when there is a boat on the overlay Google maps, you look up expecting to see the boat on the water in front of you!
    Launch at Everglades City or at Choko. Be advised that you sort of need to know where to jump up on plane coming out of both area's no wake zones depending on your track as once you leave the short spots that are deeper it may be very challenging to get up on plane at lower water levels in your boat. Particularly at Choko. I ran 100s of miles there at dead low over the course of a week figuring all of that out. Not too horrible for a novice to that area to negotiate but only if you have excellent aerial imagery on your chart plotter. Still clearly not for the faint of heart for anyone really and about as challenging an area to navigate as you will find anywhere since it is hard to see with the darker water and the minefields of oysters and banks. Similar to Cedar Key but far more expansive. If you don't have an FMT chip that shows you exactly where to run on the hi res aerials or just a garmin map etc, expect a tremendous amount of anxiety figuring it out and go slower if your not following someone else.

Thanks all. Considering I am looking around for a second super-skinny poling boat to run these areas, the expense of changing my GPS is a pittance by comparison.

Egrets Landing, what GPS model do you think is the best in general and for running your chip? Also can you post a few non-detailed pics of the 10K areas covered by the FMT? Backcountry and outside.
    A gen 2 or gen 3 touch 12 is the best or simrad touch 12. I think the smaller screen models by comparison (although they work fine) are not as nice or easy to get around on in practical application. When it comes to gps machines i have found bigger has always been much nicer for me. I even looked at going to a simrad 16" screen given all the mapping I do but ended up with a 12 not knowing for sure how the mount would actually work out with a vesa bracket since they dont come on a gimbal and are designed to flush mount. The 12 works well on a 2" ball mount. I can swivel it 180' and see it over the windshield from the bow if I want. Im sure you would be happy with that.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 494 Deckhand
    I took a roadtrip to the west coast yesterday (without boat) to scout locations for future family vacations. The wife and I really like the Naples to Vanderbilt Beach area; better than the Keys and East Coast overall even though we live in the Miami area. I'm really thinking of relocating my boat so it's more convenient to fish SW FL.

For someone with a **** Garmin GPS who has only fished Chokoskee once on a friends boat, where should I start fishing from in the area? I assume not Chokoskee, maybe out of the marinas in Naples?
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    Goodland or Marco Island (Caxambass Pass ramp). Both have places to keep your rig, but it won't be cheap. I live there and my Garmin works just fine. Take your time learning the area and carefully noting things on lower tides. Even with a chip, one can easily get out of round quickly by being a few feet off in the wrong area. Also, the bars move dramatically up near the Cape with storms and tide. If you can find a guide or a local to show you around a bit pointing some routes out, even the better.
    I would say OK out of Everglades City. Follow the main channel/ Barron River out from the launch to the gulf which is about a 5 mile run and has some markers or leave Naples and work your way south.
  • gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
    IMO...in terms of learning the area, Naples is easiest, then Marco then Goodland. However, I think the fishing is probably just the opposite...best in Goodland, then Marco then Naples.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 601 Officer
    I'm not an expert in 10k, my lower unit and prop look like everyone else's....beat-up.
    Some of the old time FS members have been very generous with their time and knowledge and have taught me allot.
    The 10k area is trecherous to say the least. Like Egret stated, you need to know where you can run on plane AND when.
    Tides make a difference; full moon/new moon make a difference.
    North east wind will blow the water out.
    There is no quick fix---only experience. Every trip is a learning experience.

That being said, the GPS has opened this area up and having the FMT navigation chip will hopefully keep your prop shaft/lower unit intact.

Fish it and enjoy the journey.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Thanks all. Very helpful. I will be taking Egret's advice and getting the Lowrance 12 gen 3 HDS with his the FMT Chip. At least to jumpstart my learning.

Do I need the platinum Navionics chip as well?

I like the advice about running out and working south. I've already navigated the areas outside near Harney, Rogers, and Lostmans and paid a couple of dues.

I've fished about half a dozen trips there for a total of about 10 days on the water. I've seen enough to know I want to learn more and it is also a natural next step to build on Flamingo fishing.
    FlatsBoy told me to have the GPS changed at Isle Marine in Islamorada. Any experience there? Will they do my 100 hour service too?
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    Just buy Flatsboy a scooby snack and he will drive down there and install it for you or you can go to West Marine and ask them for a reliable installer recommendation. They usually know the local guys that do it. Purchase the GPS ,a Garmin to Lowrance transducer adaptor , and the Ram ball mount . This should be an hour job with some neck pain for who does it. Maybe Pete can help. He can stand upright in the console.:willynilly
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Lol
    Don't worry I'll take care of it Ryan. I love drilling holes in other peoples boats!
    :grin
    Be gentle...

I'll start researching and buying the stuff. I'll run the purchases by you first to make sure all is covered.

Thanks!
    I spoke to Lowrance and gen3 has faster processor. Don't understand why smaller sd slots matter if the card essentially stays in the machine all the time.

Anyone know any good web resources for pulling the data off my Garmin?
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    I spoke to Lowrance and gen3 has faster processor. Don't understand why smaller sd slots matter if the card essentially stays in the machine all the time.

Ask FlatBoy about how easy it is to misplace the small chip. I can tell you I have had them side by side and I can not tell one is faster than the other. Go to the store and try to install and remove the card. If you backup your machine or work on tracks in your computer you will have to remove the chips. If you just leave it in and have no desire to back up your data then leave it in. There will be unit updates and card updates. Since your card stays in the machine all the time I guess you will never update them.

Since your card stays in your Garmin it will be impossible to backup it.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas

Just export all of your garmin data to an SD chip and then copy the saved exported file it to your PC.
    Then go to GPSbabel and download that software.
    Then load it and pull in your saved garmin file (probably a .gdb)
    You will set the software to covert it to a Lowrance File (.usr) off the drop down list and name the file what you want. Once it converts it, save that converted and renamed file back to your sd chip and import that file into your new navico unit with the import files command.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Ask FlatBoy about how easy it is to misplace the small chip. I can tell you I have had them side by side and I can not tell one is faster than the other. Go to the store and try to install and remove the card. If you backup your machine or work on tracks in your computer you will have to remove the chips. If you just leave it in and have no desire to back up your data then leave it in. There will be unit updates and card updates. Since your card stays in the machine all the time I guess you will never update them.

Since your card stays in your Garmin it will be impossible to backup it.

FlatsBoy told me to get gen3 unless I wanted to save $300. I'll ask him about the card size.

I haven't had the Garmin chip all that long so haven't backed up yet.

Glad I asked.

Thanks.
    The new card slots in the Gen3 make it more difficult to get chips in and out and locate. They are the micro slots vs. the Gen2 have full size SD card slots. You'll save more like $600 since the Gen2 is $1700 vs. $2000 plus the $300 rebate from Lowrance!
    If money is no object then get the Gen 3 with the new screen and features.
    It's very easy to transfer the files from your Garmin to the Lowrance like Glenn said.
    Removing the old unit and transducers and installing the new ones is where the labor is and $
    Cash only accepted! :grin
    My guy will do it on the cheap. Lol
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 248 Deckhand
    I just downloaded my garmin info onto an sd card and it went right into my simrad unit. You do not need to convert anything or go to gpsbabel. I believe I downloaded as a .gdb file and navico accepts that format. Look at the simrad units as well - they are a little more money, they may be a little heavier and bigger - not sure - if you are using a ram mount. I went simrad becuase it had a glass screen which looked better than the lowrance and I flush mounted mine, and simrad is lower profle for flush mounting - it may be the opposite if you want to use the ram mount.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    If you export out of your Garmin as a GPX formatted file.I think you have that option. Then it should import into the Lowarance.
    This is a universal format all chart plotters can read.