Outboard Maintenance: Outsource or DIY

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
The boat is getting a lot of use for a weekender; I am putting roughly 10 hours a month on. Thus I am about to do my 100 hour service.

I would like to do my own maintenance, not just to save a few hundred bucks, But also to learn the motor. I have watched many YouTube videos on the subject and it doesn't seem too technical.

Of course outsourcing would save precious time and obviate the risk of mistakes.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 207 Deckhand
    Go ahead and do it yourself, that's the only way you are going to learn. When you replace the water pump the first time you might want to just hire the mechanic to do it with you. I have a mechanic in Miami that still does house calls just need to schedule it out.
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    If you can not install a GPS unit then I would not recommend doing outboard maintenance. Its harder to do. Flatsboy concurs per a phone call.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I've installed a gps on my CS. Solicited FB's help because this gps install is more complex and Frank A told me never to Phuk with anything without discussion/guidance. Turns out FlatsBoy and I are staying away due to through-hull airmar that is in place.

Anyway I'm doing the outboard maintenance myself. Thanks.
    Remember mechanics charge more to fix self induced damage and your warranty will be voided if your motor overheats due to the pump being put on backwards.

Who did the 20 hour service required for warranty?

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2009_Maintenance_Charts.pdf
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,345 Officer
    How much is a Yamaha F-150 power head going for theses days? :grin
    Fair enough. I'll take it in...at least for the warranty period.
    I don't think any of you sobs exited the womb knowing how to drop a lower unit so somewhere, somehow you gotta get your fist experience.
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.

If you bring it to my house I will show you how to change the oil and drop the lower unit. You could probably give Phill a twinkie and he will show you also.
    I only work on real motors! This is 2 stroke land around here.:funnypost
    Great. See this is why I come here: a little helpful advice with a lot of sophomoric haranguing. 👍
    Frank will show you everything you wanted to know and more. He needs another do boy around his house.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »

ok then,
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,067 Officer

Welcome to the land of weed eaters; chainsaws and leaf blowers....The land of short, latinos with hats, long pants and long sleeve shirts running from yard to yard in 90 plus degree weather.:grin
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.

On the old forum I could add this as my signature.
    It's worth keeping
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    On the old forum I could add this as my signature.
    It's worth keeping

I think Frank missed the point. I have changed outboard motor oil, thermostats, lower unit oil, impellers before on my merc 4-stroke. Actually I've had 4 boats and to date have never paid for outboard service once in my life, and my first "real" boat had a 10-year-old outboard.

My point was, is it worth it? I can and have done a lot of automobile maintenance but as a rule do no change my own oil, etc. because to me the hassle isn't worth the relatively small money saved. Maybe the economics are different for outboards.

Regardless I know you sobs need your entertainment so I'm happy that you were able to easily amuse yourselves with this subject matter.
    I think Frank missed the point. I have changed outboard motor oil, thermostats, lower unit oil, impellers before on my merc 4-stroke. Actually I've had 4 boats and to date have never paid for outboard service once in my life, and my first "real" boat had a 10-year-old outboard.

My point was, is it worth it? I can and have done a lot of automobile maintenance but as a rule do no change my own oil, etc. because to me the hassle isn't worth the relatively small money saved. Maybe the economics are different for outboards.

Regardless I know you sobs need your entertainment so I'm happy that you were able to easily amuse yourselves with this subject matter.

If you have the ability to do it then its always worth it. The fact you know what parts you are installing and know what has been done is justification for the work. I do not trust most mechanics. I have been ripped off way too many times. The parts they say they are using are not always what you get.
    Heres an example. The mechanic pulls the lower unit and decides the impeller looks good and puts it back together and you pay for a pump service. The mechanic decides regular gear oil is fine instead of paying for the name brand marine oil. These things happen. If you know how to do it and have the time I would by all means never let any one do it. Get a service manual and adhere to the specifications and keep your receipt of materials in a file for warranty. Find someone with receipts for the 20 hour service materials if you did not retain them.
    Much appreciated.
    Checked the impeller and thermostat today. They are fine. Cleaned a small amount of corrosion on thermostat.

I must say the process for Yamaha is very easy. I think anyone who posits this as complex or esoteric has perhaps misjudged the activity's difficulty in the context of their own abilities, or lack thereof.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435503555.294565.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435503572.066310.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435503588.607346.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435503602.130828.jpg
    Why is the impeller fine? When the vanes are set and do not flex back you change it. Every 100 hours replace it. Its a cheap part.
    Yamaha recommends "inspect and replace as necessary" many have said 200 hours or 2 years.

It looks like brand new. I ordered a new one and water pump anyway it just hasn't arrived yet. I will check again in 50 hours.
    Nothing like double work! It's good pratice!
    Exactly. I'm a stubborn sob and I had fun learning the motor.

Plus the dam thing is fine!
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,067 Officer
    You know you can start your 4 stroke anytime day or night. Your neighbors won't mind...don't try that in 2 stroke land:grin
    Yamaha recommends "inspect and replace as necessary" many have said 200 hours or 2 years.

It looks like brand new. I ordered a new one and water pump anyway it just hasn't arrived yet. I will check again in 50 hours.
    Exactly. I'm a stubborn sob and I had fun learning the motor.

Plus the dam thing is fine!

Ok... your boat.... If it was fine why would you check it in 50 hours?
    Checked the impeller and thermostat today. They are fine. Cleaned a small amount of corrosion on thermostat.

I must say the process for Yamaha is very easy. I think anyone who posits this as complex or esoteric has perhaps misjudged the activity's difficulty in the context of their own abilities, or lack thereof.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435503555.294565.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435503572.066310.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435503588.607346.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435503602.130828.jpg

Hope the used impeller set in correctly when you put it back together.It's peeing but for how long guess time will tell! I hope you own a torque wrench and all the fasteners were properly tightened to yamaha specs! :funnypost
    guess time will tell!