minn kota riptide 80 lbs???

RickysreefRickysreef Posts: 394 Officer
Not sure if im asking in the right place but have anyone try a minn kota riptide 80 on a kayak??? Not sure if is to much or can be hook to a kayak?

Replies

• BoomSplatBoomSplat Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    It is going to be overkill on kayak. It runs on 24 volts so you would have 2 batteries. You would do better with a 20 to 36 pounds thrust model which only requires one battery. Smallest Riptide is rated at 45 pounds on 12 volts.

Boom
  • RickysreefRickysreef Posts: 394 Officer
    I was thinking the same is just that i can get it cheap :(
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    If you wanna tow a skier go for it lol. If anything buy it and sell it for a decent price you can get a smaller one. Doesn't take much to push a kayak. Or might as well get a boat :wink
    Make sense, I'm getting the min kota riptide 55lbs people normally use the 45 lbs or 55 lbs my kayak is big i need some power ...
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Hey Ricky, read some of your posts and so I will share this. I have a Big Tuna kayak and use a 55lb trolling motor. I use it in conjunction with a 24 series 94ah battery. It moves along faster than I expected and the battery lasts all day and then some partly due to the saltwater variable speed motor. In regards to the paddle, I have a Shoreline I bought on Amazon for 35-50 bucks I can't remember. I never planned to paddle to much so a quality paddle at triple the price for me didn't make sense. Just sayin.
    image-logo.png
    Good to know that it last so long do u do offshore fishing? What brand is ur motor min kota? About the paddles even that I'm getting a motor I will use the paddles the most for exercise..thank you sportfan!!!

SportsFan wrote: »
    Hey Ricky, read some of your posts and so I will share this. I have a Big Tuna kayak and use a 55lb trolling motor. I use it in conjunction with a 24 series 94ah battery. It moves along faster than I expected and the battery lasts all day and then some partly due to the saltwater variable speed motor. In regards to the paddle, I have a Shoreline I bought on Amazon for 35-50 bucks I can't remember. I never planned to paddle to much so a quality paddle at triple the price for me didn't make sense. Just sayin.
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 154 Deckhand
    I fish mainly in Sarasota Bay but plan on venturing in the gulf off Anna Maria soon. I use a Motorguide Varimax. I did have to shorten the shaft just a tick to get it perfect for my height etc. I too paddle quite a bit. I generally get to where I'm going with the motor, paddle and fish for however long then motor back. I am able to cover a lot of ground. For me it's an easy setup.
    image-logo.png
    Cool I'm planing on using the motor for the return to shore I will let the current take me wile I'm fishing then got back with the motor :)