Sanibel snook killer!

tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
Seems like everybody is casting either a Schminnow or clouser on the beach but I have the best luck with this little dude, my own creation (epoxy back shrimp).

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    I'm with you man. A couple years back I was on the west coast tossing three different small white flies at a couple snook (trying to get my first on a fly) with no success and pulled out a small brown and gold Crazy Charlie variation and immediately hooked up.
  • VVVVVV Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Looks good!
  • BonesmugglerBonesmuggler Posts: 133 Officer
    Still fish on the beach?
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    tightloops Thanks for posting a pic of an apparently easy tie that I can see will work. Good luck using it.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
    No problem guys, it's very easy to tie. Matter of fact I'm a **** yank and basically morphed my crawdad fly (Smallmouth) into this variation.
    -Straight shank and slightly bend the eye upward. This one is tied on a Gamakatsu 2/0 hook.
    -Tan chenille
    -Tan hackle
    -Lead eye
    -Burnt mono eyes (black sharpie)
    -Copper flash
    -Bug legs
    -Tan/shrimp colored super hair on back
    -5min epoxy back
    As for snook still on the beach? Well, I visit once a year for 10 days so I really can't answer this question. I'm far from being a expert but have been fishing Sanibel for years with some pretty good success. Remember that if your feet are wet your are out too far!! I catch 90% of my snook in the trough during high tide and venture out and fish the outside edge of the sandbar during low tide. Fish this fly as you would a DOA shrimp, basically soft stripping and let it bump the bottom periodically.
    saltybum wrote: »
    I'm with you man. A couple years back I was on the west coast tossing three different small white flies at a couple snook (trying to get my first on a fly) with no success and pulled out a small brown and gold Crazy Charlie variation and immediately hooked up.

I've used variations of Crazy Charlies in the past with good luck. I have tossed Clousers and the Schminnow until my arm was ready to fall off and really haven't done much with these flies.

You ever try a gummy minnow? I've done well on a green back gummy but they are a pain in the *** to cast!!
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    I would like a handful of these with a single wire weed guard. If you decided you ever wana sell them email me.
    I would like a handful of these with a single wire weed guard. If you decided you ever wana sell them email me.

Hey, our baseball season (coach) winds up at the end of October so this should give me time to sit down and do some tying. I'll shoot you a PM in several weeks and we can work out the details.
    Hey, our baseball season (coach) winds up at the end of October so this should give me time to sit down and do some tying. I'll shoot you a PM in several weeks and we can work out the details.

Sweet!
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,282 Captain
    I've never understood the west coast snook thing. You guys have an abundance of prey species just like we do, conditions change from day to day just like here. What is the deal with the schminnow? I've done my share of traveling and I've never seen such blind loyalty to a single pattern. Nice to see someone in the gulf changing things up a bit.
  • Water BearWater Bear Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    Never really carried schminnows in my box, when fishing the beach. I've had the most luck fishing the beaches of Caladesi and Boca Grande
    with this

Just a little clouser, but the snook love the blue and chartreuse color pattern, as well as the spinner
    Water Bear wrote: »
    Never really carried schminnows in my box, when fishing the beach. I've had the most luck fishing the beaches of Caladesi and Boca Grande
    with this

Just a little clouser, but the snook love the blue and chartreuse color pattern, as well as the spinner

I may be living under a rock but I have never seen that before.
  • Water BearWater Bear Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    I may be living under a rock but I have never seen that before.

It's not something I tied. It's called the "Cowen's Coyote" originally tied by Henry Cowen. I like to use this fly for the beach mainly because of its color pattern, but I'm sure the rabbit fur and spinner do grab some attention...
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Great looking fly! Back before freeze I usually got lots of fish throwing small white bait fish patterns #4 or 6 or pearl grey and white clousers in same size. Went this summer for 2 days and struggled (2 big fish tho).

Way fewer fish and those few have seen every variety of small white fly known to man and fish. Wish I had thought of trying something they hadnt seen so often. Good job.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    Here's that shrimpy looking thing that caught my Sanibel snook. The lower one is obviously what it looked like before being chewed on by a few other non-snook fish as well. I think I'll retire it since it has caught my one and only snook . . .so far.
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    ODC, I think the blind loyalty to the Schminnow is the result of the fact that fly just seems to work very well and it is very easy to tie. My best day of Snook fishing on the beach in Sanibel was sight casting and landing 12 Snook all on the Schminnow. I also hooked and dropped at least six others on the same day.

My best Snook was a 40 inch fish but it it was not on a Schminnow. I think it is good to fish a fly you have confidence in but as you say it is also a smart thing to switch things up.

This is the fly my friends and I used for a week in June on Sanibel and we hammered a number of big fish the entire week we were there. It got my 40 inch fish and my friend got a 38 inch fish on the same fly.
  • backwatertechbackwatertech Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Love to see a step by step on this pattern.
  • OutdoorAddictOutdoorAddict Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Match the hatch...when the white bait is schooled up on the beach the snook are focused in on them and small white flies like the Shiminnow, DT Special, Clouser work the best to match the bait. When fishing the big schools of bait on the beach, look for clear spots where there is no bait, you will see a snook laying there, but I prefer to work my fly on the edges. When the bait is balled up really tight, it usually means there are several snook around the school of bait. I also like to walk up high on the beach and look for fish 75-100 feet up the beach, they spook away from the beach if you don't see them first. I walked Cayo a couple of times the last week or so and they just aren't real thick yet, just an occasional cruiser, and the white bait is not on the beach thick, mostly thread fins a couple hundred feet off the beach. As soon as the white bait gets thick in the surf it will be game on.
  • tarpon9wttarpon9wt Posts: 110 Officer
    Nice fly! What would happen if you tied the weight and the other end as the shrimp eye; has anybody ever tied a fly like this?
    I wonder if it would track correctly and work. Any thoughts?
  • flsnookhunterflsnookhunter Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Just thought i would give a little report. The Snook are in full swing around Sanibel. All the passes and the beaches. There are small pilchards on the beach and threadfins near the causeway. Fish early or late and have a couple drinks when its too hot out to fish :)
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    I was on the Captiva beaches from the 13th through the 16th and didn't see snook number 1. Too windy and the surf was all beat up.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • DitchratDitchrat Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Tgrass wrote: »
    ODC, I think the blind loyalty to the Schminnow is the result of the fact that fly just seems to work very well and it is very easy to tie.

One can say that about alot of patterns. Clouser are all the rage, and while I have caught of fish on them, I have caught a heck of alot more fish on other patterns. I think a couple things come into play. A fly pattern has some appeal, gains some popularity, more people fish it. The more people fish it the more it get talked about, the more it gets fished. So on and so on.

Alot of it is match the hatch, size, shape color. Often times people forget that much of it is having a fly that works at the right water column at the right speed.