Home General Freshwater Fishing

Snakeheads?

I have seen some videos on catching snakeheads in South Florida, but most of them are old. Is anyone having any luck catching them recently? I have never caught one so I am trying to knock it off of my bucket list. From what I have been able to find they are typically caught on top water frog style baits reeled quickly across the surface close to shore. Heard they were pretty thick a few years back in Broward county and that they were also being caught in Southern palm Beach county. Not looking for any secret spots just looking for a starting point. Thanks,

Replies

• HokeyHokey Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Almost any canal in the Margate/Coral Springs area holds them. Depending on your type of fishing (on foot, paddlecraft, boat), there are a few easy access spots. They can be hit or miss, but the frogs or swim baits that create some wake on the top are the way to go. If you have access to a boat of some kind, you can cover a good part of a canal system and usually get a few chases/hits. They are definitely still around, best bets are docks just above the waterline, shady areas under trees, or little cuts in the shoreline. Typical ambush fish hideouts.
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 481 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info Hokey. I have a small skiff and kayaks, but we are going to start out on foot until we narrow our search area down a bit. Once we find some we will then bring what ever vessel is appropriate back with us on a return trip.
  • davids8477davids8477 Posts: 213 Deckhand
    I've spent two trips in and around the Margate canals.

Had one possible hit and actually saw 2 snakeheads - that's it!
    Yeah I am with you davids8477. I think it is going to take some time to get the hang of catching these guys. I am hoping to get down there to give it a try this weekend. I will let you know how it goes
  • EricBeBassinEricBeBassin Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Went up to Sunrise with my buddy the other week and had a couple hits, saw plenty of them too, and he landed a nice 7lb snake head on a plastic frog
    Can you provide a little more location information?
  • GotBass?GotBass? Posts: 202 Deckhand
    The canal on the west side of Markam park holds snakeheads. If you head North by boat the canal goes East underneath the highway. That canal continues through the city, sunrise and lauderhill. Any water connected to that main canal should hold Snakeheads. Ive caught them as far east as Rock Island rd/ Turnpike on that main canal.
    Thanks for the info GotBass. I fished some of the water connected to that canal south of where it goes east underneath the highway a while back but only found peacock and large mouth bass. There is not a lot of ambush points in that stretch of canal so it makes for allot of ground to cover since it all looks the same. I think that is what is going to make catching these guys a bit more challenging than what I originally anticipated. I think it is going to take a lot of casting, reeling and covering as much ground as possible! Hoping to get back at it soon.......
    I must be thinking of a different canal. I launched there - from the ramp at Markam camping area - and went north.
    At one point the canal widens then seems to,dead end, but actuall does a kinda dog leg and the water is very shallow in the dog leg. Chickened out going any further.

Is that the place you mean?
  • GotBass?GotBass? Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Ya its the ramp in the camping area. Take that canal north until it curves to the left. That is about the area where it branches off and you can take it back east under sawgrass expressway. Look on google map. it's just south off Commercial blvd.
  • EricBeBassinEricBeBassin Posts: 34 Deckhand
    x2 on what GotBass said. Got mine in one of the canals that branch off of that one
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    Look on google earth around coral springs/ margate and find some small canals with lots of weed.thats what I did.you will find them.seems they like culverts and shallower water.this time of year the big ones are paired up protecting the young.a small jig will get them to bite.bass pro frogs seem to work the best for , e blind casting real noisy.i probably cought 20 from 7-10 lbs with the jigs last year sight fishing them.c-14 has a bunch of smaller ones also.
    My son and I got our first snakeheads yesterday in Margate. Followed them up with two more. 1 more in Margate and 1 more in Tamarack. Work my **** off covering a ton of ground to get the ones that we got. Still don't have a pattern dialed in for them. We did a lot of driving around and a lot of walking and casting. We parked anywhere that looked promising. Funny thing is that we saw way more than we caught. We were throwing top water frogs and when they wanted it they absolutely crushed it, but we found plenty of them that would not strike either. Anyone experiment with any subsurface baits or live baits for them? They definitely are not the indiscriminant eating machines that people say they are. We caught about a dozen large mouth bass also. Decided to see if we could each complete a slam so we changed gears and caught a few peacock bass. Fun day and very happy to finally get our first snakeheads! I will post a report with pics when I get time to do so.
    I posted my report in the SE section if anyone wants to see the pictures.