Ask about hot freshwater fishing spots

Hi all,

I am an new resident in Gainesville, I and my friend like freshwater fishing very much. We want to fish some big fish such as big bass, but we don't know where are good spots for freshwater fishing around Gainesville. Can you tell me the hot freshwater fishing spots around Gainesville (within two hours' drive)? We have no boat, so we can only fish on the bank.

Thanks very much.

Replies

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,933 Captain
    Are you a UF student? If so, you can rent a canoe at lake Wauberg with your student ID. There's some good bass in there.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Go to google maps and then check out all the little lakes/ponds/canals in your area....There are some really nice bass in the smallest
    of places... but YOU need to put in the time and see what they hit in those certain areas...

Finding them IMHO is the easy part... Knowing how to catch them.. well that's the stuff of nightmares... LOL..
    What time of day>what lure>what color>How fast or slow to retrieve it... and so on>>>>

If you have strong arms and money> hit an area with Live shiners and float them out there and see what happens...trust me if there
    are bass out there... they will find that shiner...
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,160 Moderator
    Welcome aboard Zhiyong ! Good info above , any small accessible pond or retention pond may have decent bass in your region.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    I will also add that IMO you want to hit these small bodies of water early in the morning/late afternoon (just before dark) or my
    fav time...right after a storm.. in fact I love fishing in the rain in these areas... cools the water down and gets the fish feeding...

And here's another tip> seeing that you have somebody else to fish with>> Go at night!! our biggest bass have come late at nite
    working a dark color worm (weightless) along the shoreline or around any weeds...

If you hit an area and they are blowing up topwater... then you need to switch over to something that will get them going.. adjust your
    lure to fish the conditions you have... if you have weeds and pads around you then fish with something that's weedless like a frog..

Safety tips> Bring lot's of bug spray>wear long pants and long sleeve shirts>hat>and above all be aware of wear you step... snakes will
    move along as you walk> but it's still a good idea to keep an eye out of them.... We been fishing late nite shoreline for awhile now and
    gators have never been a problem... oh we see them from time to time... but they tend to keep to themselves... the number one thing
    to watch out for and they will put a hurting on you>>> Red Ant mounts :banghead:
    also make sure to bring a small flashlight....

Try it you might never go back to daytime fishing again... :wink
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"