Home Conservation Forums

Mangrove Snapper- Atlantic Key Largo

Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
Law (Catalina)

If I currently fish off of Key Largo 6+ miles from the coast in Atlantic waters, could a licensed angler keep 10 mangroves with no other snapper on board? Or is it 5 per person ? 6+ miles off the coast would be considered federal waters? I would go directly to port and not stop in state waters- simply transit.

Please advise and much appreciated

sF

Replies

• Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    yes you can keep 10 which is the federal limit for mangrove snapper then put your fishing poles away Bait off of hooks and don't stop and state water
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    Rock n roll PM sent. Thank you for replying
    if the fish is regulated in both federal and state water you can go by the regulations you are fishing in and stay out of the other if regs differ but you cannot stop and fish in state water on the way back in, and if they are closed In federal water but open in state you cannot go into federal water if you have fish that are closed in federal water and if they are open in federal water but closed in state water you can catch your federal limit but cannot stop and fish in state water when transiting back to land, if they are regulated in state but not in federal you have to go by state, if they are not regulated by either state or federal you have to go by the state two fish or 100 pounds whichever is greater
    This is coppied from a post further down this page about tripple tail but covered mangrove also

05-05-2015, 09:56 AM #34
    Kill N Time
    Catalina26 - I have read the statute for triple tail and the issue is the definition of what possession in or on means. I understand what your interpretation is, but according to the Email that I received from the FWC it means those in possession that are fishing in or on state waters and it does not apply to those who are in transit through state waters returning directly to port.

The only place that I have been able to find any clarification is on the SAFMC website under the recreational regulations for cobia where it states under notes: FWC Division of Law Enforcement use the following guidelines for possession limits in FL state waters:

* A person who is fishing in state waters is subject to state rules
    * A person who claims to have fished in federal waters and returns to port without stopping in state waters (and thus is not observed in fishing in state waters) is subject to federal regulations.
    * A person who claims to have fished in federal waters, but who is observed fishing in state waters, is presumed to have caught the fish in state waters and will be subject to state rule.

To me that is a pretty clear definition as to what the posses rules are of fish caught in federal waters with regulations that do not conform to state regulations.

As far as the posses in or on state waters part in the triple statute goes. I believe (correct me if I am wrong as I by no means am an expert on statutes) it says the same thing about not possessing more than 5 mangrove snapper in or on state waters under rule 68B-14.0036 Recreational Bag Limits: snapper also.

Under 68B-14.0036 1(b) it states Gray (mangrove) snapper. Except as provided elsewhere in this rule, no recreational harvester shall harvest in or from state waters, nor posses while in or on state waters, more than 5 gray (mangrove) snapper per day.

I know that I can harvest 10 mangrove snapper per day from federal waters and transport them directly to port through state waters without stopping
    so to me according to all of the information that I have been able to gather to this point the in or on state waters refers to those fishing in or on state waters and not those in transit directly to port through state waters which has been confirmed via email from the FWC directly off of their site

It is very frustrating for me not to be able to get clarification when all I want to do is to understand and follow the laws correctly. I agree that it would be much simpler if the state and federal rules where the same or at least if we could find all the regulations (state and federal) in one spot with clear definitions as to what laws apply where. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post. If I hear anything other than what I have already posted back from the FWC law department I will post it.
    Reply Reply With Quote
    05-05-2015, 11:49 AM #35
    Kill N Time
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post that fish like tarpon and snook are a few of the multiple fish listed on the FWC's website as fish that state regulations apply to in federal waters so my interpretation of that would be that you would have to follow the state bag and size limit if you were to harvest a snook in federal waters since the state regulations apply to that fish in federal waters. Tripletail is not listed as a fish in which state regulations apply to in federal waters. Since they are unregulated in federal waters and the state regulations do not apply to them in federal waters I would think then that the rules in my earlier post in regards to transporting them through state waters would apply. I would think if the state bag and size limit were to apply to the tripletail tail being transported through state waters then tripletail would have been listed as one of the species where state regulations would apply to them in federal waters.

Here is the reply from Catalina an fwc officer
    Catalina26
    The reason for you finding the possession for cobia and mangos is its regulated.
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    Great thanks buddy