Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Sportfish idle speed

I've got a question for you. Have you ever been in a 40+ foot Sportfish going just in gear with trolling gear (SVM) on and gotten pulled over. Then after you have told them you are going as slow as you can go. The cop tells you "you need to put your boat in and out of gear in slow zones" I don't know if you have been through a bridge by an inlet on icoming tide but I can't imagine putting your boat in and out of gear through the bridge!

I would like to hear what you have to say.

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,723 AG
    Had a FWC officer the me I need to do that, I told him to write me a ticket if he so pleased.
    He didn't and I went to his CO and explained what transpired.
    Didn't have any problems after that.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • circus actcircus act Posts: 228 Deckhand
    How fast were you going? Some sportfish boats still run 5-6 knots in low idle mode. Maybe drop an engine out and just keep one ahead...you can maintain steerage and creep along. I used to do that all the time to avoid issues. I was way over 40'.

But yeah that's pushing it unless you were still making a significant wake.
    My boat is 37', idles between 4.5 - 6 knots @ 675 rpm (depending on the tide).

The idiot told me to install a governor or kick in out of gear.
    This was in a high dollar ticket zone too (manatee zone)
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,870 Captain
    I guess some LEO`s don`t understand that a rudder is usless if there is no water moving past it.
  • Captainmax2002Captainmax2002 Posts: 38 Deckhand
    I agree completely!
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,921 Admiral
    Look at your wake, if none, you are probably going slow enough to meet the intent of the law.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,022 Admiral
    There is no reference to speed in MPH or such that I have seen, it all relates to your wake and the attitude of the hull, unless someone is looking at a different wording of the law than I am?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    surfman wrote: »
    There is no reference to speed in MPH or such that I have seen, it all relates to your wake and the attitude of the hull, unless someone is looking at a different wording of the law than I am?
    as much as it pains me to say it... You are correct.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,022 Admiral
    ? sorry didn't mean to cause you any pain, hope you get better.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    as much as it pains me to say it... You are correct.

LOL
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.