Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

So much for an Atlantic Red Snapper season in 2015

FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,558 Moderator
Canceled by the South Atlantic Council. Supposedly, we caught too many last year.

God almighty something has to change. :banghead
"Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
-- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida

Replies

• bay20bay20 Posts: 1,491 Officer
    Well going to make it easier on me selling my boat you win jerkoffs (NOAA AND SAMFC) George Gieger, Holly Binns screw all of you.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,558 Moderator
    SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
    (South Atlantic)

FB15-039
    Sustainable Fisheries Division
    Red snapper

727-824-5305

June 5, 2015

NOAA Announces Red Snapper Will Remain Closed
    in South Atlantic Federal Waters in 2015

Red snapper will remain closed in South Atlantic Federal waters in 2015. There will not be commercial or recreational seasons in 2015 because the total number of red snapper removed from the population in 2014 exceeded the allowable level.

In 2013, the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council developed, and NOAA Fisheries implemented, a standardized process that specifies harvest may only occur in a given year if total removals (landings plus dead discards) in the previous year were less than the number allowed for population rebuilding. The total removals allowable for 2014 were 106,000 fish. After evaluating landings and discard information for 2014, NOAA Fisheries has determined the estimates of total removals were 205,859 fish; therefore, the fishery remains closed in 2015.

The process will be repeated in 2016 to determine if there will be a season in South Atlantic Federal waters in 2016. The next assessment of the South Atlantic red snapper population is scheduled to be completed in 2016 and allowable harvest may change as a result of the population assessment.

For additional sources of information, including Frequently Asked Questions, details of the standardized process, and the report of 2014 estimates of red snapper total removals in the South Atlantic Region, please go here:

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sustainable_fisheries/s_atl/sg/2015/red_snapper/index.html
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • J-SeaJ-Sea Posts: 202 Officer
    I love the government!
  • Team_SeaShiftTeam_SeaShift Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Amazing how scarce these fish are...they are so hard to catch how does anyone ever find them....well I bet there are a TON caught in the 3-mile mark area this year or else there will now be a RED GROUPER look a like season haha. This is such a joke soon they will be so thick you can walk in to shore from 20 miles out on the backs of the Endangered American Red Snapper
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Laughable
    If it
    Wasn't so wrong/incorrect (the decision to close the season)
  • ACME Ventures FishingACME Ventures Fishing Posts: 851 Officer
    Noticed they still cite discard mortality numbers that echo Pre-Circle hook and venting days. Its
    been shown that mortality is much lower with the circle hook and venting use, yet were we are
    several years later being told 40% of released fish die. Our east coast tagging has shown recaptures
    are common and fish are thriving after release. We have caught fish, Red Snapper, the same day
    they were tagged in 120' plus waters. This past week we have had then come off the bottom to eat free lined
    live bait while drifting a 125' artificial reef. We've found huge schools up under weedlines and caught them
    slow trolling for Kings.

Apparently the reason SEDAR uses old mortality rates is because they never have been instructed to do
    otherwise. 2 years ago when I ask Roy Crabtree about this his answer was that 'Their looking into it'. Of
    coarse any data used in our assesments is not very reliable. John Carmichael stated that they seek to
    'Hit a 50% chance of reliability with their (SEDAR) data'. Add to this that they continue to use methodology
    for determining effort that has long ago been found deficient. They big claim of success on improving things
    is staying later at the docks for intercepts, but still rely on cold calls to land lines for random surveys and
    only are considering adding cell phones and postcards as improvement. They have no clue about how many
    people engage in reef fishing and likely continue grossly overestimating such as has been previously determined
    in the mandate to replace MRFSS.