Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anchoring at the Jetties

Hey all I have lost 6 "Jetty Anchors" at the jetties in the last 6 outings. What the HELLLLLL:banghead. What am I doing wrong any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    Tell me your not using chain with your jetty anchor.. And how are you rigging you anchor?
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,520 Admiral
    You DO want chain Slug.....it helps you to rig it breakaway, and helps to lay it down like you want it.

    Just not as much as you would normally use......about six foot is good. Then once rigged breakaway style, you should never lose another, unless he's throwing it up into the rocks !

    I have seen quite a few anchors up IN the rocks lately.
  • dlagatordlagator Posts: 790 Officer
    Sounds like you're not rigging it correctly...I use the same chain as I do my Danforth and have never had a problem. Are you shackling to the base of the anchor or top? Shackle to the base, zip tie at the top...
  • southboundchickensouthboundchicken Posts: 711 Officer
    Rig it breakaway style and you will lose a lot less
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    Sea Snake wrote: »
    You DO want chain Slug.....it helps you to rig it breakaway, and helps to lay it down like you want it.

    Just not as much as you would normally use......about six foot is good. Then once rigged breakaway style, you should never lose another, unless he's throwing it up into the rocks !

    I have seen quite a few anchors up IN the rocks lately.

    I feel the chain has a better chance to get snagged dowm in the rocks. I just lower my jetty anchor down till i hit bottom and then hook a rock. but thats how i do it. my other anchor has 6' plus of chain
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,569 Captain
    I finally burned through my supply of sash weights a while back. I started using some old 10lb and 12lbs plastic coated dumbbell weights. I’ll lower it up and down until I feel it slip between two rocks…let a little line out and cleat it off. I “almost” always get it back. I always fish vertical and I’m fishing a smaller skiff so I’m pretty close to the rocks.
  • luv2feeshluv2feesh Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Slug-O wrote: »
    Tell me your not using chain with your jetty anchor.. And how are you rigging you anchor?
    yes I had a 6 ft chain on it. I connect it to the lowest loop and then attach the chain to the top with lead wire. Zip ties get to brittle and snap to often. I think I'm just hitting a bad streak???
  • luv2feeshluv2feesh Posts: 51 Deckhand
    When I anchor I do toss it near the rocks never have I just lowered it straight down maybe I'll have to give that a shot
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    luv2feesh wrote: »
    yes I had a 6 ft chain on it. I connect it to the lowest loop and then attach the chain to the top with lead wire. Zip ties get to brittle and snap to often. I think I'm just hitting a bad streak???

    With your luck I would not stand next to you in a thunderstorm!!!
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • waynowayno Posts: 44 Greenhorn
  • fijonfijon Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Is that you Andre?
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,105 Officer
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    That's the cost of playing in the rocks, I rarely fish the rocks anymore unless the weather won't let me run out..... I always use Zip ties and still lose a few every now and then... Stopped using chain because of the loss.. Doesn't seem to change much as far as anchoring, at least for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sign In or Register to comment.