CR 5-28 Snookin

Hammerhead Ted and I went out early Thursday for some topwater action. The first hour it was action a plenty with the Jacks and trout busting our skitterwalks. We then changed to poppers and my favorite Yozuri popper gets slammed by a nice snook. Yeah they are expensive but those yozuris look good in the water.

I then hook up a giant snook on a top dog and but it made a strong run and straightened one of my treble hooks and got off. :banghead

Those big snook are hard to get especially when fishing shallow bars but it's fun trying.

We stayed with fishing bars and started catching some big mangroves on mirrodines and poppers. I got another snook up to the boat b4 it shook off. We had a great action day and we're done by 11.

Replies

• mLuMaN83mLuMaN83 Posts: 108 Officer
    Nice!

I need to try my hand at CR. Not sure where to go though.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,703 Captain
    I want some of those bigger snappers. Maybe Ted needs a photographer sometime soon. :)

So now that you have your snook you are hooked forever...so to speak?

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,538 Captain
    the mangroves are really aggressive
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    We were surprised by how aggressive those snapper were. They were hanging around some potholes and there would be 10 or so chasing the lure all the way to the boat.

Bill your right I'm hooked on fishing for snook. It seems like every species is chewing right now.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,241 Officer
    Fun as usual and a lot of action! BUT, Gary kicked my butt today! It's me that's supposed to have 3 Snook on. Summertime Mangrove Snapper are super aggressive and hit topwater readily, even one they couldn't possibly get in their mouth.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,241 Officer
    Billy wrote: »
    I want some of those bigger snappers. Maybe Ted needs a photographer sometime soon. :)

Bill

Maybe we could trade trips again. Would love to get a ride in "Son of Crusty".
    Maybe we could trade trips again. Would love to get a ride in "Son of Crusty".

Consider it done. I'll get a hold of you. You'll love the Low Tide 25.

Bill
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Billy wrote: »
    Consider it done. I'll get a hold of you. You'll love the Low Tide 25.

Bill

I'm up for a Chass trip sometime and I can take you out in yankeetown.
    Biggary16 wrote: »
    I'm up for a Chass trip sometime and I can take you out in yankeetown.

Another excellent trade as I've been wanting to get a trip out of YT.

Bill
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Fish Fry BG !
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    All this cloud cover should help the topwater bite also.. Good going guys...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead