Replacing power plug pins on Humminbird

ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
Has anyone ever replaced the power plug pin connectors on the unit? I have been plagued with corrosion problems on my fishfinder electronics ever since I installed it. I have dielectric grease and the electronics spray cleaner but corrosion still occurs. I took the unit to Tuppen's for them to test on their wall units and it took some fiddling to get my unit to power on. Do I need to send it into Humminbird or does anyone know if I can replace them myself? You can see it in the picture, the power plug is on the right.
fPkhHW7.jpg

vCsZhsH.jpg

Replies

• Android77Android77 Posts: 474 Deckhand
    Probably have to send it back. Had problems with a Garmin like this and found the best way to prevent was to plug battery in only when on the water. There seems to be some kind of electrolysis problem because of the power being present and the saltwater even with using the dielectric grease. Our depthfinders really take a beating and I always get the extended warranty when I buy a unit over $100. I have a Garmin , Humminbird and just got a low range for my AI.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    Alot of different sockets on the back of that fishfinder...where are the covers, or do you use all the recepticles when fishing ? Atleast the pin holes are large in size...the first failure of my dragon fly7 was one of the pins breaking off( they were super thin compared to other units). Those recepticles look dry, I would go heavier on the dielectric grease and concur with Android77, always have the battery unplugged when not in use. Hopefully not, but would guess that you will have to send it in for repair...took 6 weeks to get the raymarine back, was under warranty and came back with a note saying that next time it would be on my nickle. Ever since then I have gone heavy on the grease, and so far so good.
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    Alot of different sockets on the back of that fishfinder...where are the covers, or do you use all the recepticles when fishing ? Atleast the pin holes are large in size...the first failure of my dragon fly7 was one of the pins breaking off( they were super thin compared to other units). Those recepticles look dry, I would go heavier on the dielectric grease and concur with Android77, always have the battery unplugged when not in use. Hopefully not, but would guess that you will have to send it in for repair...took 6 weeks to get the raymarine back, was under warranty and came back with a note saying that next time it would be on my nickle. Ever since then I have gone heavy on the grease, and so far so good.

The unit slides onto a mounting bracket that Humminbird claims is 'waterproof' (or at least water resistant). The only 2 ports that are used is the one on the right (power) and the one on the left (transducer). The other two in the middle are for things like water temperature and speed (I don't use them nor have the equipment). So they are sitting on the mounting bracket covered up but nothing plugs into them. I always disconnect the unit and the battery when I'm not on the water. I contacted Humminbird and they said they do not sell internal components so I will be sending it in for repair today. It's just a bummer to spend around $165 to repair a unit that costs $299 brand new including the transducer, battery, mounting hardware, drybag, etc.
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    I feel your pain bud. Looks like you may have to bite the bullet on that one and send it in. I have gone thru a couple depth finders in the past, no matter what the heck I do. Dielectric grease, disconnecting battery and all. I managed to get a little more than a year out of my last one, which has been the longest I have ever held on to the same one. This time around, risking loosing my warranty, as soon as I unboxed my unit i siliconed the ports in the back which I would not be using. Also at the end of each and every trip I gave it a quick wd-40 short burst of spray after lightly rinsing out with fresh water. I think I probably could have gotten more time out of it, if I wouldn't have bellied up on a really rough surf launch. :Sinking My depth finder must have been in the drink for at least 3-5 minutes, as I gathered some of my quickly floating away non-tethered stuff. Thank goodness for those Gear Guard 2 year "No Questions Asked" policies. Luck to you on this Produkt.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    Over half the value on a repair would really make me be tempted to upgrade...as newer chirp units have better pictures. I would try some marine hardware supply store before sending it in. I have rolled my dragonfly 2 times in the surf and once 2 miles offshore...amazingly it kept working in all 3 incidents, but seems to get moisture issues at other times regardless of how careful I try to be.
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    I've flipped my kayak once before while using the fishfinder about 6 months ago, so it took a dunk and still worked fine. WD-40 sounds like it might be a good idea to use since it is a water displacer.
  • quatinquatin Posts: 595 Officer
    I've never had those pins last long. Dielectric grease doesn't do much for the pins. It's only used to help a gasket seal on the outside of the connector. It's a dielectric not a conductor. If the electrical connections works, then you don't have grease on the pins.

Personally, I would chuck that unit and buy something else. I look for head units with male connectors, because those are easier to clean with a brush if it does oxidize. Those clam shell receptacle connectors will eventually corrode, especially the battery + and ground pins. However, if those pins are on the cable and not the head unit, you can replace the cable/transducer for much cheaper than a head unit.