Doe's Anybody Want to Show Off a New CHIRP Fishfinder?

Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,485 Captain
I'm thinking of replacing the Humminbird 998 on my Grady with a CHIRP unit. All the new Garmins, Lowrances, and Raymarines look nice when it comes to seeing fish. But I'm concerned about losing the bottom type discrimination ability of my current Humminbird if I go to a new CHIRP unit.

Anybody with a CHIRP unit want to take me for a ride so that I can see how well your machine performs? I'll trade you an offshore trip in my boat.

Please send me a PM if you are interested.

If not, I'd just like to hear about your CHIRP machines here.

Replies

• Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 599 Officer
    Don't do it, if you want to spend some money on a bottom machine buy a furuno 585/587 or a 295 with a 1k ducer. I ran a simrad chirp system a couple of weeks back, I'd much rather have my furuno. No matter what the hype no one has developed a processing system as good as furuno's.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 962 Officer
    I think anything is better than a humminbird, i like furuno and raymarine
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,385 AG
    Don't do it, if you want to spend some money on a bottom machine buy a furuno 585/587 or a 295 with a 1k ducer. I ran a simrad chirp system a couple of weeks back, I'd much rather have my furuno. No matter what the hype no one has developed a processing system as good as furuno's.
    This^^^^
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,485 Captain
    I love Furunos and would get one in a minute if I had more space. I need a combo unit that will fit in the little electronics box in a Grady 226. There is just enough room for a 9 inch combo unit with my radio mounted sideways. I can't fit a separate chart plotter and fish finder side by side and have enough room for the radio. With no hard top or room on top of the dash to mount anything, I need a small combo unit.

They are practically giving away the Furuno 1870 combo unit since the model (along with the 587) is going to be discontinued soon. It has the same sounder hardware and software as the 587. But it has only a 7 inch screen and I'd to actual see one in action before buying one.

I've fished in the Pacific with a furuno 587 and a 1kw TM260 transducer. That's a great unit for deep water, but I don't know how good it would be for the Gulf where I rarely fish deeper than 70 ft. Again, my main concern is being able to discriminate different types of bottom. Any unit will show fish at that depth.

Don't dis a Humminbird for shallow water salt use. While they have crappy electrical connectors and a clunky navigation interface, the last 2 Humminbirds I've owned were better at picking up Swiss cheese hard bottom than any other fish finder I've see. With the stock side scanning transducer working at 200 kHz in 2D mode, the bottom tails turn from blue to orange when I go from sand to hard bottom. Even at 30 mph. I've never been able to get another unit to do that.
    I can see a patch of flat Swiss cheese bottom in 60'-70' running 30 knots with my 585. I will assure you the furuno units when tuned properly will make you throw the hummingbird away. I have ran every brand out there. This is something that always puzzles me, in our area we bottomfish, why not go with the best bottom machine possible?

If you decide to get a furuno and need any help with it let me know, I'd be happy to show you a few tricks.
    Most of grouper fishermen I know run the furuno's, most fish breaks and transitions on the bottom as RG is usually the targeted species.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    OK my two cents...and I am NOT going to get into the "who or what's best"...just passing on my take. :blahblah

I have owned three Humminbird units in the past 20 years. The SI with GPS unit I have now is seven years old and it works flawlessly. I am looking at getting in ADDITION to my SI unit this model: Humminbird 859ci HD DI Combo. This is the HD down imaging and it has stunning detail and it has a very good price point.

One word of caution though: NEVER buy a unit that is being discontinued!!! Many times the manufactures stop servicing the unit and if you ever need a software fix.....well you won't get one. :hairraiser
    That's really my concern with springing the money for any pulse tone (conventional) sonar unit right now. They are all going to be discontinued over the next year or so and replaced by full CHIRP or cheaper "baby" CHIRP units like the Raymarine Dragonfly and low end Lowrance models.

But I understand how CHIRP works. While it is a superior technology for seeing fish at great depths and picking out fish close to the bottom, I'm not sure that it will be adequate for distinguishing bottom types. So I would like to see a CHIRP unit actually work in our area.

Furuno has a good track record for supporting their legacy products even after they are discontinued. So if I'm not impressed by the CHIRP sounders, I'll probably go with pulse tone Furuno. Their CHIRP products are currently multifunction displays that require black box sonar and GPS modules that run around $5000. They may or may not come out with recreational CHIRP models to replace the 587 and 1870 units at similar price points ($1000 - $2000). I haven't been able to get a straight answer about that as yet.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 930 Officer
    I'm not too impressed with my elite7 Hdi. Charts update very slow and are inaccurate. Running the north side of the spoils last weekend and the chart indicates I'm south of them. Also running the barge canal my track is running on the shoreline. I'm having some issues fine tuning the sonar as well. a6627f7dbd992f23e78d1dcec4ce8959.jpgbb0f0471dfab26c8178e1fc0fecc0c4d.jpg
    Garmin and Simrad have excellent plotters, Furuno and Simrad have excellent radars, furuno is the top of the line when it comes to bottom machines. I hate raymarine but that is a personal thing. I think of lowrance and hummingbird I think of bass boats and lakes. There's a reason 90% of the commercial H&L boats have Furuno on their dash, their livelyhood depends on it.
    Your not telling me anything that I don't alread know. I had a CRT Furuno back when I fished commercially for grouper. It was as good as any of the digital units I've seen. But now I'm a rec fisherman with a tiny little electronics box. And I rarely fish deeper than 70 ft. I just want to see how the newer CHIRP units work out in this area.
    Garmin and Simrad have excellent plotters, Furuno and Simrad have excellent radars, furuno is the top of the line when it comes to bottom machines. I hate raymarine but that is a personal thing. I think of lowrance and hummingbird I think of bass boats and lakes. There's a reason 90% of the commercial H&L boats have Furuno on their dash, their livelyhood depends on it.

Well that's where you would be very, very wrong. ALL of these companies now have what you refer to as "bass boats and lakes" products. While units costing easily over two or three thousand dollars are fine for some...one size does not fit all. The fact is Furuno has become very aggressive in the market you are joking about. Also the technology, quality and reliability of most of these products make the old guard products....well....kinda dinosaur like. BUT...if ya got the cash and ya feel the need...:shrug
    Maybe the reason that I'm not getting offers to take a ride on a boat with a new CHIRP system is that Big Benders are just too practical. Even Top Contender is still using Dark Ages technology. :blowkiss

Maybe I should post in the South East region where the guys with gold chains and Rolexes all seem to have the newest stuff. :grin
    Doc I understand the limited space issue. You're doing the right thing wanting to lay your eyes in chirp. Good luck

Cthurow, I don't know where your coming from, there's no jokes in my post. It's the facts the way I see them, and this comes from me personally running all of those machines. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. If you'd like to see for yourself grab some gas money and give me a shout, I'll be happy to show you the advantages.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 577 Officer
    Nothing wrong with dark ages technology.

1AF0EE37-C532-41CE-BEFA-C720073CDFB7-6252-00000E46EE2456AE_zps1a1eddaf.jpg

16073A74-FB5E-4C8F-A6DB-761835005469-6252-00000E4742897F9B_zps12d6301b.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
    Doc I understand the limited space issue. You're doing the right thing wanting to lay your eyes in chirp. Good luck

Cthurow, I don't know where your coming from, there's no jokes in my post. It's the facts the way I see them, and this comes from me personally running all of those machines. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. If you'd like to see for yourself grab some gas money and give me a shout, I'll be happy to show you the advantages.

You didn't get my point. Yes the devices you speak of are wonderful...for several thousand bucks...on up to obtaining a second mortgage they should be. Nothing wrong with that. I don't know how much you spent on your bottom unit and I am certain it's better than mine...but (to me) is it actually worth a few thousand more? No. Not to keep two red grouper it ain't! Back in the day...sure! But on the offer for a trip.....PM me with your phone number and I'll take you up on that! :grin
    Maybe the reason that I'm not getting offers to take a ride on a boat with a new CHIRP system is that Big Benders are just too practical. Even Top Contender is still using Dark Ages technology. :blowkiss

Maybe I should post in the South East region where the guys with gold chains and Rolexes all seem to have the newest stuff. :grin

:funnypost
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 577 Officer
    Even Top Contender is still using Dark Ages technology. :blowkiss

When you have a Contender you don't need fancy electronics to find the fish. They find you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
    I coulda had class.

i coulda been a Contender.

Marlon Brando ---- On the Waterfront. :cool:
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,002 Moderator
    Doc , just drop the camera down. CHIRP can't do that.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Deploying the camera can be be a PITA Louie. Especially when you're fishing with spastic people who have no patience. :grin

A#1, I can get the 1870, which uses the same hardware and software as the 587, for $715 with no tax and free shipping. Plus, it's a combo unit that will meet my needs except that it won't take my Navionics cards. That's the one I'm considering. I already have a through hull Airmar transducer that would plug right into it. Only problem is that it is Dark Ages pulse tone technology and will soon be discontinued just like the 587.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/semperfifishing/628790-furuno-huge-price-drop-sale.html

He has the 295 with a CHIRP transducer for ~$3200. But if I got that unit I wouldn't have any room for a separate chart plotter.
    capt louie wrote: »
    Doc , just drop the camera down. CHIRP can't do that.

Dag nab it Cap'n....you stole my closing argument! I was sooo holding onto that!! :grin
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 450 Deckhand
    Deploying the camera can be be a PITA Louie. Especially when you're fishing with spastic people who have no patience. :grin

Umm... to whom were you referring there Doc?? :bananaSTFUK!
    I generally think of everyone except for myself as spastic people with no patience. :grin
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,828 Captain
    I coulda had class.

i coulda been a Contender.

Marlon Brando ---- On the Waterfront. :cool:

It was You Cholley> My own Brudda!!!! I coulda taken dat guy apart!!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!