Home Shimano

Problem on baitrunner 12000D

Dream CatcherDream Catcher Posts: 205 Deckhand
Bantam, thanks in advance for your help.

Was out fishing with my sone over the weekend and halfway through a fight with a sailfish I hear, Dad that handle just broke. Thankfully we fish a set of 5 reels so I was able to switch over the handle from another reel and we still landed the fish.

Any help in getting a replacement handle would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason
Its NOT the boat that catches the fish. :fishing

Replies

• bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but is there any corrosion near the failure point?
  • Dream CatcherDream Catcher Posts: 205 Deckhand
    No the failure point was the on the stainless drive that threads into the gear. The aluminum rivet is still intact and is even free of corrosion. My guess is when the hole was drilled in the stainless drive it was not centered. The weakest point of that handle should be the thin aliminum rivet not the stainless drive.
    Just got off the phone with Andrew from customer service. Very dissapointed in the customer service provided. I have over $10,000 in equipment from Shimano between my personal gear and what is on our Buddy Davis in the Bahamas. All previous dealings with getting parts/service over the years have been great. I was told entire reel would need to be sent in and evaluated before anything could be done. I specififcally explained what happen with the handle and the above picture clearly shows that this was a quality control flaw on the handle itself and had nothing to do with the reel.

I hope I will be able to be taken care of better than that.
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    Send me a PM with your contact info. I will have someone contact you about getting a replacement handle. Andrew works in the G.Loomis office and follows our protocol of always have the reel sent in.
    PM sent. Thank You