Hows the Red Grouper fishing out of Homosassa and tips on hog catching please

we have not been out there yet this year. we live right here on Homosassa river
and we did really well past two years
heard mixed reports so far

thank you all in advance

heading out soon for a recon and hope to catch a few fish to put in freezer and on table
the cupboard is finally bare LOL

also what are new limits

Replies

• csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    Not sure about the reds but troutman (Kyle) has been absolutely tearing up the hogs on hook and line the past few weeks out there. I don't believe he posts here anymore though so you'd have to either email him or track him down on one of the other forums to get the info...

As for regs, don't take anyone's word for the rules and regulations. They're way too complex to trust someone else with it. They're on the FWC website anytime you need them.

Click one of the links on the right hand side of the page:
    http://www.eregulations.com/florida/fishing/saltwater/
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,420 Captain
    Red grouper fishing has been very poor compared to previous years. The red tide damage starts around 40 ft where it is patchy. There aren't too many reds that far in anymore. Everything past 50 ft is pretty much dead bottom. Grunts and seabass are starting to recover out there, but they are scattered.

Kyle has been focusing on hogfish because keeper reds have been hard to find. Catching them is just a mater of moving around and fishing with shrimp. You typically need to wear out the grunts on a spot before you'll have a shot at the hogs. There are plenty of gags from 40 ft in if you can wait a month.
  • Luv2fishLuv2fish Posts: 121 Deckhand
    thanks yall
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,920 Captain
    I think everyone is going to be jam packed into shallow water this summer since reds seem like an impossibility. Gags are going to get beat down hard.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I think everyone is going to be jam packed into shallow water this summer since reds seem like an impossibility. Gags are going to get beat down hard.

Yep, that the feds will claim that the Gags stock is down from over fishing and we will have even a shorter window to fish for them..
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    Nope. They just took Gulf of Mexico gags off of the overfished and being overfished lists. The stock is now considered to be rebuilt.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2015/20150415-us-fisheries-continue-to-rebuild-overfishing-and-overfished-numbers-at-all-time-lows.html

We will likely get a longer season, but probably not a bigger bag limit pretty soon.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,532 Captain
    Nope. They just took Gulf of Mexico gags off of the overfished and being overfished lists. The stock is now considered to be rebuilt.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2015/20150415-us-fisheries-continue-to-rebuild-overfishing-and-overfished-numbers-at-all-time-lows.html

We will likely get a longer season, but probably not a bigger bag limit pretty soon.

I am for longer season and bag limit of 2.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,439 AG
    The hog snapper fishing has been off the charts!:wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,278 Admiral

That's a quick recovery.

If memory serves, feel free to correct - prior to 2011 gag was closed only in Feb and/or Mar?, and the bag limit was 3 gag, total of five? (Can't find much anecdotal info to jog the memory) Then in 2011 the season changed drastically - that's when we stopped fishing for grouper off Cedar Key and started fishing more frequently in Islamorada...caused us to rethink our entire fishing strategies. I'm thrilled that the population has been rebuilt in just 4 years...even tho' the boat's gone now. :cry
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    navigator2 wrote: »
    The hog snapper fishing has been off the charts!:wink

Thats great !!!! Lmao !!!!:Spittingcoffee
    That's a quick recovery

The latest recovery plan for gags was for only 5 years and 2015 is the final year. An interim stock assessment in 2014 indicated that the plan was working and the GOM gag stock was declared to be no longer over fished or undergoing overfishing. So the catch target for the final year and beyond will be increased to 1.7 million pounds for the rec sector this year. That should mean a longer season (maybe to the end of December) unless increased fishing pressure meets the target earlier.

Total Allowable Recreational Catch Targets for gags (in millions of pounds gutted weight)

2011 0.781
    2012 1.031
    2013 1.287
    2014 1.519
    2015+ 1.708

There will probably be another more extensive stock assessment this year or next. Let's hope that the red tide in the northern GOM doesn't significantly reduce the stock estimate. We still have more gags in our area than most folks can remember. The big females returned to the high relief areas even in the red tide kill zone last fall, but we are only seeing a small slice of the whole picture. There is no doubt that the red tide killed a lot of gags. But a healthy population can withstand red tide events as long as the major spawning populations are not affected.

The next red grouper stock assessment could be problematic for catch limits and season lengths. I have the feeling that the feds were never really aware of the number of red grouper in the Big Bend area. Most of that stock is gone now. But how that might affect the whole GOM stock number in not clear.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,278 Admiral
    Thank you doc for that info.

It is not easy for me to understand the data collection process and assessment formula that leads to determining bag and season limits.

I just enjoy fresh grouper now and then - gag over red. :) If it were up to me :grin, I'd keep the bag limit the same, start the season Oct 1st and run it through May 1st - totally unscientific, just personal preference - too hot and too many storms for summer fishing. Altho that would impact spawning season (as published) - so maybe I'd just trade July and Sep. for Dec and Jan.

As you say, let's hope the red tide hasn't significantly changed the outlook. Some of the reports I've read on here about the bottom damage further out are disheartening.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt