Cobia tips

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone had any tips they wouldn't mind sharing on catching cobia. I have caught them before while drifting for trout but haven't had many come aboard lately. I am wanting to start targeting them a little more as they are a lot of fun and good eating. Will chumming while trout fishing help or do I need to anchor? Any tips would be appreciated guys Thanks. Drew

Replies

• THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 423 Deckhand
    Go back through all of Rough Ones posts. Read them carefully and you'll learn a lot about catching cobia.This is good advice.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,023 Captain
    Structure is the name of the game. We never chum, but some do. Put a live bait( pinfish) a few cranks off the bottom right under the boat, free line one or two and maybe put one under a cork. Cover all the water column. We caught 3 and lost two last Sunday and all but one came on the bottom rod, good luck
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Officer
    Chumming helps. It also brings in the sharks and rays which they will be following sometimes
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,023 Captain
    SuperJox wrote: »
    Chumming helps. It also brings in the sharks and rays which they will be following sometimes
    And the little sharks that don't hold fish, just harass your baits
    You should have been here yesterday
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,679 Moderator
    And the little sharks that don't hold fish, just harass your baits

Gonna happen anyway. They can be thick.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • dterry302dterry302 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    :Agree As a matter of fact I caught five of those little jokers friday trying to get on the cobia.