Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

ponce inlet jetty

csmithcsmith Posts: 9 Greenhorn
Did a lot of fly fishing up north mostly for stripers and weakfish. Would like to get back into it and was wondering if anyone fished the north jetty at Ponce inlet. Any info would be appreciated.

Replies

• flsnookhunterflsnookhunter Posts: 196 Deckhand
    Not a big fly fisherman but I grew up fishing that jetty. Lots of nice mangrove snapper, redfish, flounder, sheepshead, and some snook. I personally fish live bait (mullet, pinfish, shrimp) . As far as fly fishing consider fishing indian river or mosquito lagoon for redfish and trout.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    csmith Where were you "up north" I left South Jersey in 2005. Had plenty of stripers etc. Ever go on or use "the bass barn? Have lots of opportunities to fly where I am. Hope you can find someone there who can help. Try local tackle shops or try to locate a club in the area. Good luck.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    I've never been to Ponce, but I've put in more hours drifting tungsten at our local jetties than anyone else I know. From land, anything less than a 9wt is a liability, and no fly is too big. 350gr of T-12 on a braided mono running line would be a good place to start, cover water, alternate between short and long drifts. Snook and tarpon don't know the difference between a fly and a bucktail.
  • dwyermwdwyermw Posts: 341 Deckhand
    there is a great club in New Smyrna - I believe it is called the mid coast fly fishers
    2009 Skeeter ZX2250 current
    2007 Sea Hunt 220 Triton (sold)
    Skeeter ZX24V, 300 HP Yamaha (sold)
    1890 SE Action Craft, 175 HP Evinrude Ficht (sold)
    Hewes Tailfisher (sold)
    Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5
  • csmithcsmith Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies. sparse grey i lived in central jersey (east windsor) and fished from barnegat inlet north mostly I will give it a try at ponce inlet i haven't worked jettys in years but used to be a jetty **** and i miss it. ODC i'll use my striper rig GL3 9ft 10wt with a teeny 350 most likely.i already started tying again plus i have loads of my old ties. i might look into a club also. I was in Atlantic flyrodders and the berkly striper clubs up north.thanks again for the replies.
  • DitchratDitchrat Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    csmith wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. sparse grey i lived in central jersey (east windsor) and fished from barnegat inlet north mostly I will give it a try at ponce inlet i haven't worked jettys in years but used to be a jetty **** and i miss it. ODC i'll use my striper rig GL3 9ft 10wt with a teeny 350 most likely.i already started tying again plus i have loads of my old ties. i might look into a club also. I was in Atlantic flyrodders and the berkly striper clubs up north.thanks again for the replies.

I'm only a visitor to FL, for the month of July. But I am a Jetty **** from up where you used to fish. A couple years ago I gave up on everything I read about Fl, and reverted back to Striped base mode. Not much difference between the two as far as I can tell. I fish the beach, Jettys and Bridges with a fly rod the same as if I was fishing in NJ or Cape Cod. Go with what you know, it works out sometimes
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    Big fish eat little fish pretty much anywhere you go, adapting to their habitat is the hard part, and you've fished a jetty before.