Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

How to add a second "house" battery

I am wanting to add a secondary house battery to help with the load of my electronics and cranking battery. I am leaning towards the blue sea system 120A add a battery kit. I am just not sure if this system is the right system for my boat. My engine is a 2003 150 Yamaha Saltwater Series II. Is adding a switch with an isolater the way to go or is there something better? Any suggestions?

Thanks again everyone.

Mark

Replies

• DavidmarineDavidmarine Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Blue Seas have great products. A dual Battery switch is all you really need. The Yamaha engine has a fairly heavy charging system and is capable of charging two batteries. With the isolator you will loose a volt to the diode. With the switch you will run with the switch in "both" and discharge with the switch in the one or two position and the other battery will be ready when the first is discharged.
  • Seachaser220Seachaser220 Posts: 199 Deckhand
    Blue Seas have great products. A dual Battery switch is all you really need. The Yamaha engine has a fairly heavy charging system and is capable of charging two batteries. With the isolator you will loose a volt to the diode. With the switch you will run with the switch in "both" and discharge with the switch in the one or two position and the other battery will be ready when the first is discharged.

What switch would you recommend?
  • natecertnatecert Posts: 231 Deckhand
    The Blue Seas is the way to go if you want no hassle plug and play. This is what I will do on the next boat. For now I use a switch that has, Bat 1, both, bat 2 and off. The average trip for me is 3 hr or more total run time. I start with the deep cycle and use it until I'm half hr from the dock, switch to the start bat to charge that bat. When cleaning the boat I turn to the off.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,222 Admiral
    I highly recommend the "add a battery" kit. They work fantastically and take all the guessing and switching out of the equation.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270