Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Need Help Fishing Pine Island Area

Longtime lurker but I rarely post. I am asking for help please.

It seems all my holes are fished out or I am doing something wrong or whatever but I am just not pulling as many fish as I once did. Thus time to start exploring again as I am tired of disappointing my 12 year old son with our paltry catches. We could only manage 2 flounder yesterday. For me it is about being with him but I know he wants to catch fish...

I would like to fish the Pine Island area. Frankly I have never fished the ICW to the South to any extent but I hear tales of good fishing in that area.

I have 2 questions: Coming from the Goodbys Creek area with a 22ft bay boat on trailer what is best ramp to launch at?

I am a bait fishermen (never been real sucessful with artificials) So 2nd question where is the best place to get live bait in the area?

If anyone who fishes the area wants to share tips and tricks I and my 12 year old son would be grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Gitoa

Replies

• Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    First off.... This week has been a hard week fishing "anywhere"!!!!! All this wind stirs up everything and when it's dirty/muddy, not much it biting...
    Second...if you were in the Pine Island area yesterday between 8-1pm you saw me moving all around looking for... "clean water" when I found it I caught fish!!!
    Third..... Best bait in the area is at Palm Valley Outdoors. I would think the shrimp tank is filled with "aquafina" water it's so clean. If you need it and you forgot it at SZ then they got you covered...
    Fourth.... PV boat ramp is "ok"... I've seen 39" Yellowfins launch at high tide and a 22" is no problem at mid tide also. It can be quite the zoo on the weekends I must say.
    And last....'let the water clear and go back and try your spots with a popncork and post you great catches!!!

Hope this helps, Capt. Dana
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • spyderman2015spyderman2015 Posts: 80 Deckhand
    I fish out of palm valley every weekend slug-o is dead on with the tough bite this weekend had to cover a lot of ground to find fish. Be very carefull near low tide at the ramp I saw two trailers float away last week and get stuck in the rocks. Usually we have the best luck using popping cork with live shrimp around oyster beds once you get the first bite make sure you work the area awhile before you move on I have been pulling about 5 fish after the first bite in the same spot even after have all the commotion on the water. If you go out and see a black spyder flats boat holler at me I will show you some decent areas.
    Grippin-N-Rippin :fishing
  • jgutzkejgutzke Posts: 151 Deckhand
    Tough on everyone this past weekend. I'll avoid fishing any holiday weekends from here on out.
  • GitoaGitoa Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys for the info you have both been very helpful. I can't get out this weekend but I do have time to scout out the boat ramp and surroundings. Overly cautious but I have always done that before hauling my boat to a new ramp.

I do think it was a tough bite this weekend perhaps. I always fish Clapboard Creek/St Johns/Sisters Creek area which is pretty heavily fished putting a lot of pressure on the fish so that can't help either. I suspect if I could ever get out during the week my fish count would change. Funny thing is I can't remember the last time a I kept a fish for the dinner table. I just like to catch em!!!

Spyderman if I see you out there I will holler. I will be in Royal Blue 22ft Pathfinder. I see you live in Mandarin so if you are ever looking for a fishing partner I will supply bait and gas money for the boat in exchange for company and knowledge. I live in the Beauclerc section just south of the Hooters off San Jose Blvd.

Gitoa
  • spyderman2015spyderman2015 Posts: 80 Deckhand
    No problem Gitoa I live rite down the street from you off crown point rd. I always have extra spots on my boat I only get out on the weekends because of work though shoot me a pm whenever you want to go out.
    Grippin-N-Rippin :fishing
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    I've caught some of my PB fish out in that area. You'll be fine in that Pathy, Gitoa, even at low tide. Do be cautious though and keep in mind there really isn't any place to tie off once you launch (unless something has changed). There is room for a boat, maybe two. I've had great luck in the past with spinner baits and top water (skitter walks)...but you're a bait guy. :) Check it out at low tide the first few times as it can be tricky around there.

I grew up in the same area you're in, but now live off Mandarin Rd. I'm game too, and usually fish alone as well (since my fishing partner is pregnant now). I have a royal blue 19'.
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • ladderslugladderslug NocateePosts: 230 Deckhand
    Where is Palm Valley Outdoors located, and what types of bait do they have?
  • GitoaGitoa Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    You know the internet is an amazing thing!! For all the bad crap it has brought, the ability to meet and exchange information and ideas is just astounding. I was so **** depressed after our trip Monday I was even thinking I shouldn't fish anymore (alright just kidding). Through miracles of technology I "meet" several people willing to lend assistance, share information and ideas, and even a couple of offers to fish together. Some of them are even in the neighborhood!!

Hey with all the crap going on in this world I honestly was losing a little faith in the generosity of others but I really shouldn't be surprised it is alive and well among fishermen.

Tight Lines,

Gitoa
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 398 Deckhand
    Gitoa - If you get in an extreme low tide situation at that ramp, remember that the ramp ends near the end of the dock. When it first opened after the bridge was built several boats got hung up on the drop off.
    I went out again this morning and the water was still dirty but is clearing up just a bit. The wind was out of the south east but I still managed to put seven reds and a Nice flounder in the boat. The biggest redfish measured 26 1/2 inches and took a top water plug.
    8C5F1898-3013-4E87-827E-DB0171A8EC9A_zps9xbajxjn.jpg
    FAEF659D-295D-4ECF-B504-3E6A8264C990_zps95f6kx6k.jpg
    3C9E237D-548B-423E-A88A-D995DCC279F7_zpsmjxeikek.jpg
    A80AE22A-2857-4AF7-8598-03D40A5F16D6_zpsfz7uwwas.jpg
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • southboundchickensouthboundchicken Posts: 711 Officer
    Dead low tide will expose a sand bar down near marker 8 and a few more down near the north end of pine sland so proceed with caution, most of the creeks get extremely low as well so do be carefull especially in the larger boats or you might be stranded waiting on the incoming
  • NannaPhobicNannaPhobic Posts: 173 Officer
    Dead low tide will expose a sand bar down near marker 8 and a few more down near the north end of pine sland so proceed with caution, most of the creeks get extremely low as well so do be careful especially in the larger boats or you might be stranded waiting on the incoming

sbc is 100% spot on.

I think it took us 4 1/2 hours to get off/out of this mess. (We doubled up on redfish and by the time we landed them, the water left us high and dry.) Worst of all...we ran out of beer! :cry

DSC00810.jpg

:banghead
    "It's all wet underwater!"
  • JaxNoleJaxNole Posts: 1,705 Captain
    sbc is 100% spot on.

I think it took us 4 1/2 hours to get off/out of this mess. (We doubled up on redfish and by the time we landed them, the water left us high and dry.) Worst of all...we ran out of beer! :cry

DSC00810.jpg

:banghead

Without beer, how were you going to play "snag-a-can" while you waited on the tide? :wink
    sbc is 100% spot on.

DSC00810.jpg

:banghead[/QUOTE

I have alwAys said there are 2 type of people that fish this area, those that have been stuck and those that are going to get stuck....... Lol , it will happen sooner or later hopefully when it does you'll be parked next to a hole loaded with reds
    JaxNole wrote: »
    Without beer, how were you going to play "snag-a-can" while you waited on the tide? :wink

You were there Scotty...first we played "tag"...:rotflmao That got old quick.

Then I broke out the topwater and caught my first 'Bud-fish".

The strike! (You can clearly see him exploding on the Spook Jr.):

DSC00814.jpg

The submission :

DSC00815.jpg

:grin

Moral of the story: Either bring enough beer or pay attention to the tide...:beer

Sorry for the derail...carry on...as you were...:rolleyes

:banana
    sbc is 100% spot on.

DSC00810.jpg

:banghead[/QUOTE

I have alwAys said there are 2 type of people that fish this area, those that have been stuck and those that are going to get stuck....... Lol , it will happen sooner or later hopefully when it does you'll be parked next to a hole loaded with reds

We tried to get out of the boat and go exploring for a redfish hole but ended up being surrounded by waist deep "Icky Quick Sand Muddy Yuck"...:banghead
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Mud....low tide........stuck...........4 hours............sounds like nap time to me.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
    Ugggg that's a lot of real estate right there and zero to stand on!!!
    I've been stuck a handful of times once in my bay boat, once on a jet ski and a few times in my lowtide custom however being stuck in the lowtide custom is usually a minor annoyance thats short lived i totally agree on the running out of beer part that does suck.... Lol
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,198 Officer
    Slug-O wrote: »
    Ugggg that's a lot of real estate right there and zero to stand on!!!

I have always wondered if snowshoes would work on the quick sand mud. Has anyone ever tried?
    If you do try it out please video it or let me be there to take photos!!!:kick