Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anyone going out this weekend?

Trying to decide about coming down to PC this upcoming weekend for our first trip of the year? Trying to make plans now. Is anyone else heading out to bottom fish & troll this weekend? The weather forecast is looking decent but the sea forecast is looking "ify" right now. Think it'll calm down out there by Saturday? Too long of a drive if it's too rough to have fun & get beat to death. Looks like y'all are getting hammered today with rain storms. Give me some local input......

Livin' the Dream !

Replies

• Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    If I ever get caught up on work, I just might fish again, if I remember how....

http://magicseaweed.com/Panama-City-Beach-Surf-Report/1259/

I would make the effort to come down and fish. The forecast looks good.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,242 Moderator
    I may go play with some early am kings, then look for late season cobia for a bit on Saturday. Would like to be home. By reasonable hour for a derby party. As of now I don't predict slick calm conditions, but it'll be fishable... east winds just make me nervous... been burned way too many times by 2-3 from east forecas.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,206 Officer
    As of now I don't predict slick calm conditions, but it'll be fishable... east winds just make me nervous... been burned way too many times by 2-3 from east forecas.

That's exactly what we are worried about & have been watching all week. They just updated the sea forecast this afternoon & now calling for [email protected] with 2-3ft (becoming S late in pm). That East wind makes me nervous as well.

Really want to get on some kings.....so, trolling close in might not be too bad. Maybe catch some Spanish also & luck up on seeing a cobia. Had wanted to go on out late morning to try our luck on some RG's.....but, not sure now.

We'll have to make our decision one way or the other tonight since I've got to be on the road early tomorrow morning if we do go. I'll let y'all know.........

Livin' the Dream !
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Got a full moon coming up this weekend so the tides may be a bit higher and stronger in the pass and yep the wind/wave forecast is all over the place.

As for me, I will be around the 77 bridge in my yak Saturday morning at daybreak. For all those heading out, catch em up, have fun, and be safe.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
    Orange... if you like idea of kings, maybe a pomp, cobia look, catch freezer bait. Etc with eye on weather for possible offshore jaunt... Then I would come on down. I guess it all depends on how bad you want to go on the water. if you are like me you consider things this time of year you would laugh about in August
    Well, we decided to pull the plug on this weekend. Just too far of a drive for me to come down with that East wind & wave forecast and get beat to death. Our worst times have always been with that East wind situation. I really wanted to get out there but it's a little different if you live 7.5 hours away vs live down there. We'll just try it again in a couple of weeks. I'll just do a little bass fishing up here instead......

Thanks to everyone for the input. It really helps a guy like me that lives a good distance away to get the local perspective. For those of you that do get out, be safe & good luck.....post some pixs!

Livin' the Dream !
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Swamprat wrote: »
    Got a full moon coming up this weekend so the tides may be a bit higher and stronger in the pass and yep the wind/wave forecast is all over the place.

As for me, I will be around the 77 bridge in my yak Saturday morning at daybreak. For all those heading out, catch em up, have fun, and be safe.

I was hoping I was going to be able to get out Saturday morning. Next weekend I am taking the PA and gonna try go fish CIS and find some skinny water reds.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    I don't blame you one bit for pulling the plug with that kind of drive. We aren't really going to fish tomorrow either just going to ride around for a little bit. For that usually when awesome things happen.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,184 Admiral
    We plan on scouting the beach and mainly running the boat. Hope to catch the Spanish Mackerel. :grin
    well, o orange... I tell you one thing chief, it's looking a bit tipsy out there. I'm on the hill grabbing rods it's not particularly sexy. We going to make a go of it but I'd rather be in Tennessee although you might be freezing up there. it's got to be low sixties if not 59 degrees here right now.
    Well, I've seen several folks posting on FB this morning with photos about how slick flat & calm it is out there right now this morning. My buddy is down there with his family & just called me with same report. I guess we made the wrong call this time. Oh, well.....NOAA just sucks!

He did say it seemed like the wind may be picking up a little. Anyway, I hope it holds good for y'all today. Catch em' up, PH. Let us know how you do.

And yes, a little cool up here in TN this am.....about 59 on my deck. Going to get new battery for the bass boat & then heading to the lake for a little bass fishing.

Livin' the Dream !
    Surprisingly enough it was not bad out at all. Bait was easy to come by and kings were ferocious (smallish, though) until a couple hours after sunrise... At which point they straight up shut down. Im guessing moon had something to do with that. cibua looked for a little but then home. Went 7/8 on king bites with biggest maybe 14 pounds

Left boat around noon and lost my shirt at derby party.
    Looking to come down (to PCB) this coming weekend & give it a try since it's opening of ARS's in state waters and haven't been able to get down there yet this year. Been watching the forecast all week & was looking good until today. Now calling for that dreaded East wind on Saturday. What say you locals........? Anyone else heading out this Saturday? I know last weekend was rough out. What are your gut feelings about it this coming weekend?

Livin' the Dream !
  • upinthewaterupinthewater Posts: 202 Officer
    Worst part - it is an East Wind. I actually believe the later part of the forecast and believe it will be earlier in the day - not that night - since they are predicting a 10-15 NE the day before and no front line associated with it, that wind machine is already energized and an East wind will make seas build very quickly. High pressure ridge over the gulf may be sinking some that is why it changed. Now if you are looking to squeeze in close and make a short day of it - you could make that happen. Or just go and it will be what it will be :). Sunday doesn't look like a day saver either. Go figure - .. Hey if the tree tops are blowing - I ain't going! - but.. I'll probably be going anyway.
    We are supposed to drive to Venice LA for some tuna this weekend. Naturally its blowing 20 knots for 5 days solid. Unreal... its freaking June!

Giod luck with your decision. You could probably stay close pretty comfortably.
    Well, I think it's going to be "ify" Saturday but, coming down anyway & will give it a try. If nothing else we'll just stay in close. Haven't been all year & really want to get out there. Will post a report when we get back. Headed to bed now....got a long drive in the morning.

Be safe & catch em' up if you head out Capt. Conan. And, good luck on the tuna trip, PH.....post some pix.

Livin' the Dream !
    we're going pretty far tomorrow in a fast boat. On Sunday going to stick a little closer in my boat.

shaping up to be a pretty good weather weekend.
    Or not. They just upped it to 2-3 and still pure east all night and tomorrow. I'm on dock now on bay and its straight up cranking.

So sick of this
  • Fl-boyFl-boy Posts: 71 Deckhand
    We will try West Bay Sunday and wait for Monday for the gulf.
    Or not. They just upped it to 2

WOW....they did just change it. I looked earlier today & it was looking good. That sucks! Well, maybe it won't be too bad out there....

I hope next weekend is good......planning on coming down again for only weekend of Federal water ARS's.

Livin' the Dream !
  • ollemarollemar Posts: 34 Deckhand
    we going sunday and staying till monday am. Hopefully with almost full moon get some mongos, mingos and federal red snapper that we been releasing all year long.
    Welp.... forecast now calling for 2' or less and it's currently 2.6' at seven seconds. Pretty sure we're about to go long! Taking a smaller fast boat today. I'm excited!!!! Going to fish some areas I've been dying to try that I haven't touched in years. I can barely fish one area properly in my boat on a day trip. Commit to it and you're screwed if it doesn't pan out. Today we can touch all three!!!! Scout time, baby! Hopefully we'll come on home with some big ol' jacks, scamps, RG and maybe a colorful fish or two.

Stay tuned...