Fighing belt for jigging..

r00kieAnglerr00kieAngler Posts: 258 Deckhand
Anyone use one ? Thoughts ?

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,341 Moderator
    I have one, but forget to use it most of the time. I used it yesterday and it made a big difference, no bruises on my gut and it was easy to keep the jigging motion going when I got tired (but only when jigging with spinning reel)
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    luna sea cush-it .. for me its the best and doubles as a rod float.

probably has many other uses also
  • r00kieAnglerr00kieAngler Posts: 258 Deckhand
    jcan, What brand do you have or recommend ? with or without padding ? Im not sure if they all come with it.

YakNP, this will not fit the rod holder, can they be easily removed when wet ?

thanks
    I just have a small one I picked up from bass pro (I think its the smallest size and it has minimal padding), I don't have enough use out of it to recommend one over another. I don't use it for the actual jigging motion when I'm using my conventional, only fighting, However with a spinner you can use it for both.
    Yes, I keep mine jamed in a cup holder with my water until I need it. Then just slip on and off as I wish
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,851 Captain
    rOOkieangler,
    Glad you made this post. I still have some bruise/scab marks from the big AJ's I was fighting and frequently loosing on heavy gear 2 weeks ago. Last week I bought a cheap fighting belt, but on the last hammerhead, I learned that it does not work well while one is sitting in a kayak --- flips out of position. Fighting belts are generally made for stand up fishing. I will try Erik's suggestion of the luna sea cush-it, looks like it should do the trick, but if anyone else has suggestions, don't hesitate to pipe-in. Thanks.
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Quit trying to fight those Amberjack as hard as you can and you hookup landing ratio will increase. Only fight them as hard as they want to and try not to **** em off. It really works. Grouper are a diffrent story either you win or lose.
    I like the idea of the luna sea cush it for the convenience but I dont know how much a rubber can protect your lower abdominal area. The larger surface area of the fighting belt makes it more appealing to me. Assuming that its decent enough to wear when on a seated position. I might just jump the gun and buy a fighting belt.

John, how long have you been using it. Is it something that just needs adjustment to get used to. I was thinking of keeping it loose to be able to move it around. My groin area seems to get pounded the most :shrug:rotflmao
    Android77 wrote: »
    Quit trying to fight those Amberjack as hard as you can and you hookup landing ratio will increase. Only fight them as hard as they want to and try not to **** em off. It really works. Grouper are a diffrent story either you win or lose.

Thanks for the advice, I had been trying the go easy technique, but was loosing too many jigs. For me it has been due or die with the big AJ's near the wrecks.

John, how long have you been using it. Is it something that just needs adjustment to get used to. I was thinking of keeping it loose to be able to move it around. My groin area seems to get pounded the most :shrug:rotflmao

I have used a variety of fighting belts on and off over the last 30yrs, but only 1 trip on the kayak. The main problem is that they need to be belted on, and when sitting the area where they normally would be belted is horizontal( best to be perpendicular) to the water -- this makes for a bad angle on the rod when fighting the fish. Plus it was moving around on me. Could probably drill holes and make a velcro strap to prevent movement, but the luna sea cush will probably be a more practical solution for me. With longer rods, I can sometimes wedge them under my chair for long fights. Everyone has different tastes, maybe a belt will work for you.
    Hey John, they have a couple different sizes so you may want to take your rod and check fit at the store (the packaging has a hole in it that you can check with). I have the all species one that fits most of my rods. good luck
    YakNPomp wrote: »
    Hey John, they have a couple different sizes so you may want to take your rod and check fit at the store (the packaging has a hole in it that you can check with). I have the all species one that fits most of my rods. good luck

Eric, I was looking at the different sizes on the web, and even the "all species" model looks big. Having trouble forking out $ 25 for a piece of rubber that maybe costs $2 to manufacture, but will bite the bullet. I am also experimenting with PVC "T" pipe to make some alternative rod butt cushions.
    Yea $25 bucks is a little steep for this thing but it's pretty comfortable for jigging and fighting fish. The size is better understood with some perspective, maybe this video will help you see how big they really are:
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 811 Officer
    If it wasn't for my cheap $12 low profile fighting belt, I might have gotten torn up fighting this 'hoo. Not one bruise and works great for jigging with a spinning rod brother. I can jig for hours with minimal fatigue. :wink
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
    My buddy let me borrow his fighting belt similar to yours kayakfrank. Did you have to modify yours ?
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 811 Officer
    My buddy let me borrow his fighting belt similar to yours kayakfrank. Did you have to modify yours ?

Yes, I took off the crossbar inside the hole, where the rod sits. I don't really use that feature. The rod butt just sits in there as I jig. I couldn't ask for a better jigging support. Also works nicely as I am following a running fish, while taking up line. Later bud.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
    kayakfrank wrote: »
    Yes, I took off the crossbar inside the hole, where the rod sits. I don't really use that feature. The rod butt just sits in there as I jig. I couldn't ask for a better jigging support. Also works nicely as I am following a running fish, while taking up line. Later bud.
    I did the same.
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    I have a cush it and a great belt from Playactipn that I use every trip I go offshore via boat. Never leave without it when grouper/snapper/aj fishing. The cush it would prob work better in a yak so you dont have to wear the belt at all times. Here is a link to the one I use and love. Gimbal pivots and its ultra soft against your body for max comfort all day. Tried several higher end Braid and Aftco products and this was more comfortable and cheaper at $63

http://m.basspro.com/Play-Action-Rod-Swivel-Belt/product/30770/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
    kayakfrank wrote: »
    If it wasn't for my cheap $12 low profile fighting belt, I might have gotten torn up fighting this 'hoo. Not one bruise and works great for jigging with a spinning rod brother. I can jig for hours with minimal fatigue. :wink

Frank, I love that wahoo...lots of stripes, beautiful fish! That is a 200gm or heavier jig...lot of work jigging that all day, but nice results and glad the belt works well for you. Your belt looks like the same one that I have...I also took the bolt out of the cup -- is only useful if you have a gimbled rod butt. Everyone has different tastes, could not get it to stay steady for me. Cush-it arrived in the mail, so will try it out next time out.
    YakNPomp wrote: »
    Yea $25 bucks is a little steep for this thing but it's pretty comfortable for jigging and fighting fish. The size is better understood with some perspective, maybe this video will help you see how big they really are:

Good video, Thanks