Radio Check

What radio channel do you use for a check?
Don Naber
USAF (Retired)
Middleburg, FL.
God Bless America, And All That Serve This Great Nation

Replies

• Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,307 Captain
  • mikeg32225mikeg32225 Posts: 552 Officer
    Tried it the other day and it didn't work.
    Maybe just down for a little bit.
    You can always call Sea Tow on 16.
    Mike
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,097 Admiral
    Your signal has to be good, and within 15 miles or so of mayport to get a return from the automated check.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • Black PearlBlack Pearl Posts: 1,155 Officer
    Get em down in St. Aug all the time on 27.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Great Daye Fishing Team"
    '14 Pathfinder 22 TRS (sold :()
    Yamaha F200
  • Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    mikeg32225 wrote: »
    Tried it the other day and it didn't work.
    Maybe just down for a little bit.
    You can always call Sea Tow on 16.
    Mike

I tried the automated Seatow last week out of Mayport a week ago and got NO response either. They did however answer me on 16. Their system must be down.
  • spodabfishinspodabfishin Posts: 429 Deckhand
    27 echo back was also down for me a few weeks ago
    SV2100
  • CaptCrabsCaptCrabs Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Sisters Creek Station is channel 27
    St. Augustine is channel 26

All of the radio check sites are listed on the sea tow website. They have a vast majority of the coast covered including the keys. It's a good idea to check out the local station if you are traveling to a new location.
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,097 Admiral
    There system has NOT been down. The automated system for Jacksonville is transmitting and receiving from an antenna at Sisters creek boat ramp.

You have to be close enough to it for it to receive a strong enough signal that it meets the threshold to transmit back to you.

Tony, the reason you are getting them in St.augustine is because St.augustine has its own system, you are talking to thiers.

The reason an actual seatow personelle can hear you more often than not is because there are multiple stations in our area, and the mayport office, for example, has a very high gain antenna that reaches 35' in the air.

I hope this helps your confusions. Vhf is line of sight, and most setups will transmit and receive around 15 miles. You can increase this by getting the antenna higher in the sky, increasing output which requires a license, and the government and coast guard, etc have very specialized equipment so they can usually reach you from much farther away.

More often than not, folks are too far away, surrounded by trees, etc when they are trying to reach the automated system.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270