Home General Freshwater Fishing

5/1 Blue Tilapia Report

"Non-native fish are those that do not occur in Florida naturally; most should be harvested and never released. Exceptions are peacock bass, which is a game fish, and triploid grass carp, which are stocked for vegetation control." (They cannot reproduce) http://www.eregulations.com/florida/fishing/freshwater/florida-freshwater-fish/

Last Blue Tilapia report I'll post for a while, might save up a few weeks of pics and post. The biggest went 4lb 1oz and all were caught on floating bread. Got skunked on Tuesday. Tight lines!!!
bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif

Replies

• RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    3lb 7oz from today, checked it at 7:30 and it was dead, got there at 11 stayed for half an hour only got this one on floating bread.
    012.jpg 89.7K
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Thats a good one !!!! Nice ..........
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Sure beats buying Tilapia at the grocery store! Nice fish. :fishing
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    The Wild caught Tilops have an all-together different taste than anything I have ever bought from a Fish Market....they are absolutely dyn-O-mite if you ask me. Worth the effort...... That is a Blue Tilapia in my Profile Picture
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
    Haven't fished since Monday, fighting a cold and the freezer is full. I'll probably be fishing next around the beginning of next week. Had caught some in the past at this spot but not this size, they seem to always be biting as long as the weather conditions are stable with the strongest bite being right around sunset but seem to disappear and go deeper in the winter. People regularly feed the wildlife including the tilapia, I fish from shore. There will literally thousands within 40ft or so on Monday right at sunset, feeding frenzy popping at the surface almost constantly and would get spooked occasionally. Using 1/0 Owner SSW Khale hooks and, on the ultralight, 20lb Power Pro with 6ft or so 14lb mono leader tied to mainline with uni-uni knot with very small drop of glue. Have seen a couple come up to the bread, see the line, and spook...should be using fluorocarbon
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,318 Moderator
    How do they pull ?
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    How do they pull ?

They're a blast!!! :fishing Have caught most on the ultralight, the smaller ones feel similar to large bluegill/crappie and the larger ones have a ton of spunk--not as much as a bass though.
    Fished Saturday 7:00 am - 7:30 am, 9:30 am - 10:00 am, 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm at this spot and checked a few ponds with Tilapia beds in the afternoon. Skunked. Will be fishing this week around sunset

Edit: 5/14 - Was there 7:00 - 8:30 got 5 smaller ones, missed several

Edit: 5/15 - 7:30 - 9:00
    7:30-8:45 Floating bread and bread balls
    7:30 - 8:45 Small lake, right around .1 miles wide
    Edit: Doh! Sorry, meant to edit previous post as opposed to replying.

______________________________________________________________________________________

5/22: 7:30 - 8:30. Biggest went 4lb 0oz. All have been caught on floating bread lately, I live in the Orlando area--there are absolutely tons (beds everywhere along the shore) at about 1/3 - 1/2 of the ponds I'll fish for bass at. This is the only pond/lake I have tried to target them with bread but there are a few other ponds around I'm gonna try out (that I know of at least) where people will regularly feed bread to the fish.

I'll tear off a piece of bread and pinch it some like I'm balling it up right where I hook it--however, depending how hard I pinch it and the type of bread I'm using it'll sink sometimes. The size of the piece of the bread depends on the size of the pops/wakes I see hitting the bread. Have missed quite a few and heard of (and seen some smaller ones) pick up the bread and spit it out a few seconds later. Got only a few bluegills lately and the shiners will only tear the bread off the hook--have got some 10-12" or so shiners there in the past but not lately. (Haven't tried lately, if I put a shiner under a bobber there the turtles will devour it in no time---come to think of it though, should try freelining a 10-12" or so with a 2/0 Owner Khale SSW hook with lighter drag, have bent too many 3/0 Owner Khale SSW and Gamakatsu shiner hooks on bass in the past)

The (what I call) ultralight I use is a St. Croix Triumph 6' lite power, fast action graphite rod with a 2005 era or so Shimano Sedona 2500.

5/25: 7:00 - 8:45