Home Egret Boats

Xi5 GPS Issue

gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
I have the MotorGuide Xi5 connected to my HDS12 Gen3 via the Pinpoint Gateway. Everything was working fine until this past Sunday when the "Anchor" function on the Xi5 stopped working. Whenever I tried to anchor, the HDS displayed the message "No AutoPilot Computer".

Yesterday I had the boat out on the water and contacted Lowrance and then MotorGuide support. We determined the issue was with the Xi5. How? By disconnecting the Xi5 from the network and using the remote to try and anchor. The Xi5 did not respond to the Anchor command. Therefore, MotorGuide determined it was their problem.

The technician said it is probably a firmware issue with the Xi5. (Since the Xi5 was working OK until Sunday, I don't think it is firmware. We'll see.) He said they would send out a "dongle" to update the firmware. To my surprise, today a next day package arrived with the "dongle" and update instructions. It took about 5 minutes to install...very easy. Since the boat is sitting in my warehouse, I can not try it. I will let you know what happens.

In the meantime, any of you that have an Xi5 with the PinPoint gateway may want to consider getting this update. Attached is a picture of the memo and the "dongle".

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    You should also have the most recent Lowrance software installed also.
    Been there done that.
    Motor Guide has been great with support for sure.
  • gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    You should also have the most recent Lowrance software installed also.
    Been there done that.
    Motor Guide has been great with support for sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong (probably), with the HDS set-up for wireless, doesn't it automatically update software?

Did you have this same issue (No Autopilot Computer)?
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Is there any way to know what software version your motor has? I bought mine in the fall of 2014. I called Motor Guide when I saw someone mention a software update and they said mine is "probably" up to date. It has performed flawlessly with only two exceptions. While on anchor, two times the other night it suddenly went a little crazy and jumped to full speed with the head wandering all over the place. I don't think I hit any kind of button on the remote to cause this but I could be wrong. My Minn Kota would do stuff like this with every strong gust of wind but this is the first time the Xi5 hasn't held me dead on a spot or acted crazy in any way.
    91tiger wrote: »
    Is there any way to know what software version your motor has? I bought mine in the fall of 2014. I called Motor Guide when I saw someone mention a software update and they said mine is "probably" up to date. It has performed flawlessly with only two exceptions. While on anchor, two times the other night it suddenly went a little crazy and jumped to full speed with the head wandering all over the place. I don't think I hit any kind of button on the remote to cause this but I could be wrong. My Minn Kota would do stuff like this with every strong gust of wind but this is the first time the Xi5 hasn't held me dead on a spot or acted crazy in any way.

When I was on the phone with the MG technician, I asked him the same question...he said there is no way to tell what firmware version you have. Since this update is dated April 11, 2015, I think you can assume it is more recent than what is on your motor.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    You need to connect to a wifi network and download the software on your unit. It doesn't do it automatically.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    You need to connect to a wifi network and download the software on your unit. It doesn't do it automatically.
    Thanks...

I checked and have the most current version (1.5 - 51.1.80).

With this version, the HDS will notify the user of the availability of an update (when connected to wireless). The user must then insert a micro SD card to initiate the download and do the update.
    gal218 wrote: »
    The technician said it is probably a firmware issue with the Xi5. (Since the Xi5 was working OK until Sunday, I don't think it is firmware. We'll see.) He said they would send out a "dongle" to update the firmware. To my surprise, today a next day package arrived with the "dongle" and update instructions. It took about 5 minutes to install...very easy. Since the boat is sitting in my warehouse, I can not try it. I will let you know what happens.

This morning I did a quick check of the Xi5 anchor function (as much as I could do with boat in warehouse with door open). Was able to get a GPS Fix and the anchor function DOES seem to work now. Will not know for sure until I get out on water this weekend.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    Geeeeezzzzz!!! Fishing down south seems complicated!!
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado