Home Tropics

Shipping fish from west end

mike923mike923 Posts: 272 Deckhand
Anyone ever shipped fish back? Heading over Friday and grouper are not open here yet. Wondering if we could ship them back and what we need to take with us to do it. Or if there is someone or someplace there that will take care of it for us for a fee.

Replies

• billblackbillblack Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    mike923 wrote: »
    Anyone ever shipped fish back? Heading over Friday and grouper are not open here yet. Wondering if we could ship them back and what we need to take with us to do it. Or if there is someone or someplace there that will take care of it for us for a fee.

I may be misunderstanding what you are proposing, but by attempting to circumvent the law against bringing out-of-season grouper into Florida, it seems like you are just asking to be this guy:
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2014/01/06/vero-beach-resident-sentenced-importing-illegal-catch-bahamas/
  • Two years probation and $2500 fine. If he has been doing it for a while he made out good! Just the conch could have been worth over $2500! Snapper and grouper maybe $10.00 a lb for fillets.

He got off easy! (Well except he's out of business for two years.)

However, probably on a boat. By plane I think the law is different since it may be presumed you bought them.
  • abacofeverabacofever Posts: 377 Officer
    Short answer is No. You can take some with you. Same limits as FL. Not same limits as Bahamas.

Dept of Ag will not be happy and export, import lic among others.
  • mike923mike923 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    "Individuals may ship back any legally harvested or purchased fish, conch, or lobster back to the US by air carrier as specified by Bahamian and U.S. regulations."

This is the quote from FWC website. That is why I am asking.
    abacofever wrote: »
    Short answer is No. You can take some with you. Same limits as FL. Not same limits as Bahamas.

Dept of Ag will not be happy and export, import lic among others.

And this is not the case either. Florida and Federal limit only apply when they are less. Otherwise Bahamas limits apply. Example. Florida is 10 dolphin per person. If I go to the Bahamas with 4 guys we can still only bring back 18 dolphin, not 40.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,793 Admiral
    Sounds like you want the answer you want to hear and not the right answer.
    Sounds like you want the answer you want to hear and not the right answer.

how so? I want to hear how to ship it back. FWC site says its legal. You can't bring it back on the boat but they say shipping is fine. Just wanted to know if I need to take packing material or if they are available there. Do you all think that it is not legal? I posted the exact phrase from the website and it is pretty clear. Can send by air carrier ANY legally harvested or purchased fish, conch, or lobster.
  • KaimanaKaimana Posts: 245 Deckhand
    I'm not so sure it's clear with what is on the website - "as specified by Bahamian and U.S. regulations". It sounds to me like you might still be subject to US limits, even if you are shipping. Why not send FWC an email and be sure?
    Ok.. Think of it this way..

LE has no way of knowning where you actually harvested the product they find you with. They always use Florida limits first unless you can prove without a doubt you are in compliance with Bahamas Limits. You can ask Bahamas Fisheries for letter stating the exact limits that are to be exported. No matter where or how you obtained the fisheries product their are limits to what you can ship from a forgien Country. Once you exceed the magic poundage (...? ) limit it becomes a commercial quanity. As soon as you meet the Commercial quanity level the game changes and you are now considered over the limit unless you possess a Commercial Fisheries Lic..

Having fisheries products show up in quanity on a private or commercial aircraft without someone standing right there as responsable is going to raise a red flag.

Enforcement in this area has been sporadic at best. However some have gotten tickets. Go for it..!

Why do you feel the need to **** and pillage the fisheries of another Country ? Doing this because you are loading the boat up with even more to take back for your own pocket..$ Just thinking out loud.
    mike923 wrote: »
    how so? I want to hear how to ship it back. FWC site says its legal. You can't bring it back on the boat but they say shipping is fine. Just wanted to know if I need to take packing material or if they are available there. Do you all think that it is not legal? I posted the exact phrase from the website and it is pretty clear. Can send by air carrier ANY legally harvested or purchased fish, conch, or lobster.

Where did you read you can not bring back on Boat ? Link ? If you are going to exceed Florida limits you need to prove where it came from and still can not import more than the Bahamin limit in season at the time. No matter if purchased or caught.
    Ok.. Think of it this way..

LE has no way of knowning where you actually harvested the product they find you with. They always use Florida limits first unless you can prove without a doubt you are in compliance with Bahamas Limits. You can ask Bahamas Fisheries for letter stating the exact limits that are to be exported. No matter where or how you obtained the fisheries product their are limits to what you can ship from a forgien Country. Once you exceed the magic poundage (...? ) limit it becomes a commercial quanity. As soon as you meet the Commercial quanity level the game changes and you are now considered over the limit unless you possess a Commercial Fisheries Lic..

Having fisheries products show up in quanity on a private or commercial aircraft without someone standing right there as responsable is going to raise a red flag.

Enforcement in this area has been sporadic at best. However some have gotten tickets. Go for it..!

Why do you feel the need to **** and pillage the fisheries of another Country ? Doing this because you are loading the boat up with even more to take back for your own pocket..$ Just thinking out loud.

I never said it was going to be a truck load of fish. But to bring home a grouper or two and a couple conch would be nice. Two of my most favorite seafood products. We are not trying to **** the ocean like some. And we are not going to try to sell any. Just trying to get a little for the table and do it legally. I don't want to do anything illegal, but the way the website reads it says it is legal. I do not have an email from FWC yet, but we have checked with a few officers and we get different responses from each of them. Very few seem to know what the law actually is. I would imagine any lawyer would have a field day with the statement above from the FWC website if someone would actually get in trouble. I will wait for an email from FWC and talk to my lawyer before I try this.
    I am lost.. So put it in a cooler and bring with you when you (someone) flys home ?
    Shipping implies you are sending it to Florida without someone traveling with it.
    Just so you know.. It should be frozen. Again enforcement at Customs is not always the same but I have run into people that either got a serious tongue lashing or had the Fish confiscated at Customs if it is fresh, unfrozen. US Dept of Ag does not want to see fresh fish coming through the border unless it has met several inspection criteria.
    A whole host of other issues come into play when you fly in. Customs Border Patrol is mandated to watch out for Ag violations also. Most agents dont bother with a cooler of frozen fish as far as the Ag requirements go. But... you only need one do gooder to ruin your day.
    Have fun. Good Luck.
    Where did you read you can not bring back on Boat ? Link ? If you are going to exceed Florida limits you need to prove where it came from and still can not import more than the Bahamin limit in season at the time. No matter if purchased or caught.

Snapper/Grouper species:
    Bahamian regulations allow for no more than 60 pounds of fillets, or 20 whole scale fish PER VESSEL, NOT PER PERSON. You cannot transport or possess any snapper/grouper species while in or on the waters of the EEZ in violation of Federal regulations.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,893 Admiral
    I am lost.. So put it in a cooler and bring with you when you (someone) flys home ?
    Shipping implies you are sending it to Florida without someone traveling with it.
    Just so you know.. It should be frozen. Again enforcement at Customs is not always the same but I have run into people that either got a serious tongue lashing or had the Fish confiscated at Customs if it is fresh, unfrozen. US Dept of Ag does not want to see fresh fish coming through the border unless it has met several inspection criteria.
    A whole host of other issues come into play when you fly in. Customs Border Patrol is mandated to watch out for Ag violations also. Most agents dont bother with a cooler of frozen fish as far as the Ag requirements go. But... you only need one do gooder to ruin your day.
    Have fun. Good Luck.

I have brought a ton of fresh conch, lobster and fish home by air over the years and have never had a problem,
    I have brought a ton of fresh conch, lobster and fish home by air over the years and have never had a problem,

perfect. What do you do? Is there a place I can just show up with a bag of fillets and they will pack and ship for me? Do I need to take a cooler and dry ice? What is the name of the place to go to to ship?
    Reading comprehension. You don't have it...there is a distinct difference between traveling with the fish and shipping fish.

He said brought back... As in. The fisheries product traveled with him. As part of His luggage on an airplane or on the boat.

Is this a troll thread ? I'm done.
  • Relentless39Relentless39 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I see a lot of bad info here. First, you can't bring back more than the ONE days Bahamas limit no matter how long you were there. Second, you can't bring back or import in any way anything that is illegal here ie. conch turtle, nassau grouper, Jew fish. The conch can only be shipped as a commercial import. Violation of any of this is contrary to the Lacy act. Penalties include seizure of vessel and $50,000 fine. If you are comming back by boat, you can not stop and fish or Everything on your boat is assumed to have come from us waters. If you ship it, you must commercially import it. If you have any questions, PM me.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,246 AG
    Um........ did you call the shipping companies to see how much 10-20-30 pounds/whatever will cost you to ship home? Will they ship with dry ice?

Will the boxes/coolers be inspected upon arrival at the airport?

If so, will the freezing/chilling of the meat then be compromised?

What if the boxes/coolers get delayed for a day or two..... Will the meat survive?

I've brought back plenty of fish (legally) by boat as well as on an airliner with me with no problems over the years. But sometimes the question needs to be asked, "Is this really WORTH it"?

Eat what you can while you are there, give the rest away to the locals that have looked out for you and then buy some fresh seafood at a nice fish market when you get back in the States! A win-win-win situation!
  • PrettyWorkBoyzPrettyWorkBoyz Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Second, you can't bring back or import in any way anything that is illegal here ie. conch turtle, nassau grouper, Jew fish. The conch can only be shipped as a commercial import. Violation of any of this is contrary to the Lacy act. Penalties include seizure of vessel and $50,000 fine.

Just to clarify:

I'm not an expert on fisheries regulations, but my personal interpretation of the regulations is that you are allowed to bring conch back if you are traveling to the U.S. by air carrier. However, if you bring the conch back by recreational vessel, the FWC will not approve.

Source: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/bahamas/
    http://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/factsheet-import-queen-conch-2013.pdf
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article3545528.html

I've brought conch back several times when flying from the Bahamas to the U.S. and fully disclose it to the U.S. customs agent and have never had an issue.

If you have reason to believe the above is incorrect, let me know because I'm genuinely curious and don't want an issue if I trying to fly home with some again.