Home PENN

Thinking out loud here. Penn Spinfisher V gearing...

Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
Wouldn't it have taken better advantage of the smaller SSV's slammer drag and narrower spool to have equipped it with a lower gear ratio to give it more pulling power around structure, and also draw a clearer distinction between its role and say a Battle II or Conflict? The only compromise would be retrieve rate and it wouldn't matter anyways for in-close work. Did they all just wind up with the same gears?

Is there a snowball's chance for a retrofit set? That would make it the perfect dock/ mangrove/ structure reel for anything smaller than grouper and justify the little extra weight of the SSV.

Replies

• PENNPENN Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Pesca -

I think the big distinction between Battle/Conflict and Spinfisher V is drawn on the features you mention.....weight and drag. I don't have a lot of consumers shopping both reels....they typically want the drag (which means additional weight in the case of the SSV) or the want the weight savings.

Could we have geared it down? Maybe. You make a great point, but Consumers always seem to gravitate to higher speed reels....99 out of 100 times on inshore spinning reels.

Sure there's a snowballs chance in you know where.....but keep in mind how small of a chance that is. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Mike
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    PENN wrote: »
    Could we have geared it down? Maybe. You make a great point, but Consumers always seem to gravitate to higher speed reels....99 out of 100 times on inshore spinning reels.

C'mon, you got a tiger here just waiting to be let out of the cage. Besides,Don't you have a marketing team/ budget to let us consumers know where to gravitate?

Ex: Geo Goetz on RTFS:
    "I love fishing the flats with my Penn Conflict where the highest line retrieve rate in class lets me cast and get back on moving fish faster than the competition. But when it comes to the heavy duty work of pulling snook out of the docks, or snapper off a reef, nothing beats a Penn Spinfisher SSV. With its lowest in class gear ratio design to maximize pulling power in combination with the Slammer drag system, the Spinfisher V will continue to gain line under a tight drag, so I no longer have to worry about a stalemate due to lost torque. This can make all difference between landing that lunker snook, or getting broke off on the pilings!"

:Horse
  • 01190119 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    I use the 3500 V for bass fishing, skipping under Brazilian Pepper and docks and dragging thru Lilly pads. I don't notice the weight while I'm fishing, only when I listen to internet experts tell me what I have isn't good enough.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    0119 wrote: »
    I don't notice the weight while I'm fishing, only when I listen to internet experts tell me what I have isn't good enough.

:rotflmao

Just trying to build a better mousetrap here. Don't fret.