Home Egret Boats

Need advice mounting Power-pole

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
As you can see I have a corrosion issue on the base of my Power-pole. Todd at PP was kind enough to send me a new base and rebuilding kit. It did not include the bolts to the hull. Does anyone know if these are cemented in? If so what should I put on the replacement bolts? Any secrets to backing the old bolts out without damaging the hull? Should there be a gasket between the PP base and hull? Thanks!

Replies

• Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Call Power Pole back
    they have all the answers.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer
    The power pole is thru bolted and there should be a access plate inside the rear well to get to the nuts. Those are rubber isolation washers to prevent the power coating from reacting to the dissimilar metals. You should use rubber silicone or 3M 4000 to mount the bracket to the transom and to seal the bolts.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Looks like you may be the "Soap Dodger" of the month. Martin has been superseded.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Looks like you may be the "Soap Dodger" of the month. Martin has been superseded.

I live in the Keys! Even I'm rusting.:banghead
  • rbtbryanrbtbryan Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Is that how you define the aging process? lol
    mtd885 wrote: »
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Welcome to the dark side Michael. Dark hull, black powerpole and black caulk make for more fishing and less washing. :)

I really like the 3M 4000 too. You should coat the exposed foam edges in the transom through holes with waterproof epoxy if not already done. For the inside of the bolts I suggest a fender washer, regular washer and then the lock nut. A SS fender washer by itself is soft and deforms easily at the center before passing load to the outer perimeter. A regular washer on top of the fender stiffens the center up nicely and distributes load to the glass better. The way the coating is cracking away from the holes looks like maybe more than just corrosion at work but hard to say from a pic.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer

Stop lying...You've been needing WD40 for years.
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    The power pole is thru bolted and there should be a access plate inside the rear well to get to the nuts. Those are rubber isolation washers to prevent the power coating from reacting to the dissimilar metals. You should use rubber silicone or 3M 4000 to mount the bracket to the transom and to seal the bolts.

Phil, there is no access plate in the rear hatch where the oil well used to be (pre 4 stroke). I cannot reach that far through the bilge. Am I going to have to cut a circle in there and buy a hatch to fit at WM?
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    Mine is mounted with the holes drilled through into your old oil container hatch and are secured there on the inside of the hatch with washers and nuts -- not in the bilge. Look at the U bolt. That should be through bolted the same way into the hatch.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    There should be an access plate in the storage compartment behind the power pole. They could not install it without access there originally.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Phil, there is no access plate in the rear hatch where the oil well used to be (pre 4 stroke). I cannot reach that far through the bilge. Am I going to have to cut a circle in there and buy a hatch to fit at WM?

If you don't have one installed you'll need a 4 inch access plate.

20150503_083744_zpsbhkxr4y2.jpg
    If you don't have one installed you'll need a 4 inch access plate.

20150503_083744_zpsbhkxr4y2.jpg

This is a mind game, how did they get the bloody thing on there? Unless they used self tapping bolts?
    Wood screws are used extensively in my boat and that's what I'd guess for your Powerpole. There's a few other decent ways to secure blind hardware though so hopefully that's what was used. Tee nuts, toggle bolts and threaded inserts like I used for the poling platform top are some.

The tie downs I think are through bolted before that deck is put on so you'll never get to those either without the access plate. Maybe the Powerpole was through bolted before the deck was put on too. The NC Egrets are just not as easy to work on as the FL Egrets.
    mbowers wrote: »
    Wood screws are used extensively in my boat and that's what I'd guess for your Powerpole. There's a few other decent ways to secure blind hardware though so hopefully that's what was used. Tee nuts, toggle bolts and threaded inserts like I used for the poling platform top are some.

The tie downs I think are through bolted before that deck is put on so you'll never get to those either without the access plate. Maybe the Powerpole was through bolted before the deck was put on too. The NC Egrets are just not as easy to work on as the FL Egrets.

The original was on a mount not through the hull. This one was installed by shallow water customs. I'll give them a call in the am and ask what they did. Meanwhile none of those bolts feel tight to me.
    Not Just Wd 40!
    Stop lying...You've been needing WD40 for years.
    The original was on a mount not through the hull. This one was installed by shallow water customs. I'll give them a call in the am and ask what they did. Meanwhile none of those bolts feel tight to me.

That explains why there is no access plate since it wasn't factory installed!
    I've seen them installed by 3 party vendors with lag bolts and they loosen and pull out.
    Install the access plate and get the correct hardware from power pole and thru bolt and seal it properly.
    I've seen them installed by 3 party vendors with lag bolts and they loosen and pull out.
    Install the access plate and get the correct hardware from power pole and thru bolt and seal it properly.

THAT'S THE PLAN PHIL, THANKS. Maybe in a few days when I get over my grief.
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 192 Deckhand

I can't believe anyone would install a power pole without thru bolting it. It seems to me that lags would pull out within a year.
    camgci wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone would install a power pole without thru bolting it. It seems to me that lags would pull out within a year.
    I cut the hole, it was thru bolted to the transom. I'm off to buy new bolts washers and locking nut to re-install tomorrow. After I get it mounted again I'll use the rebuilding kit to replace all the bushings, bolts and washers. So glad the weather has been horrible so I don't feel like I'm missing much. Thanks all for the advice.
    camgci wrote: »
    I couldn't believe my trolling motor was installed with a wood screw but that's what pulled out of the deck after 18 months. I wasn't surprised that the platform top came free of its tiny screws.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that some riggers would use lag screws on Powerpoles. As long as the hardware lasts long enough for the check to clear is all some shops are worried about.

What was used for washers on the inside Michael? I think SWC is out of business.
    Not surprised if they are. They burned me twice. The bolts they used are not the same as PP sent me.