Another Public Land Grab

124»

Replies

• paddlerXpaddlerX Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    The bill might be resolved, but can we get back to watching yall fight it out like a bunch of women?
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    thank you.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Believing in something is not the same as reviewing the science and methodology behind a theory.

Religion and whatever god you believe is 100% faith. No science whatsoever. Intelligent design is faith trying to play science which is ridiculous.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/eric-metaxas-science-increasingly-makes-the-case-for-god-1419544568
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    flydown wrote: »

That is nothing more than a believers opinion.....that has already been debunked.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    You're back for more? Didn't get enough of a tail whipping the last time? Or are you just a glutten for punishment?
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
    huntmstr wrote: »
    You're back for more? Didn't get enough of a tail whipping the last time? Or are you just a glutten for punishment?

What planet are you on?

Intelligent design is the stupidest thing on the planet.

You believe in aliens?

From a real scientist.
    http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/intelligentdesignisstupid20120311
    Neil deGrasse Tyson describes the absurdity of “intelligent design”. Sorry folks, the universe was not designed for us. Accept it, we’re nothing special.
    What planet are you on?

Intelligent design is the stupidest thing on the planet.

You believe in aliens?

Prove that intelligent design is any less creible than evolution, the big bang or any other creation story you can conjur.

You won't because you can't. Because you know as well as anyone else that when it comes to the existence of mankind and the creation of life, there is no science anywhere that definitively supports one theory over another proving it to be so.

Now go back to the shallow end of the pool before you get in over your head again and start drowning due to your inability to tread water with the rest of us.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

huntmstr wrote: »
    Prove that intelligent design is any less creible than evolution, the big bang or any other creation story you can conjur.

You won't because you can't. Because you know as well as anyone else that when it comes to the existence of mankind and the creation of life, there is no science anywhere that definitively supports one theory over another proving it to be so.

Now go back to the shallow end of the pool before you get in over your head again and start drowning due to your inability to tread water with the rest of us.

You have faith, I get it. But don't try and pretend that ID has any basis in science or the scientific method. It doesn't.
    Faith can't be disproved or proven, because it has no bearing in the scientific world.

http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/nhmag.html
    Most biologists have concluded that the proponents of intelligent design display either ignorance or deliberate misrepresentation of evolutionary science. Yet their proposals are getting a hearing in some political and educational circles and are currently the subject of a debate within the Ohio Board of Education. Although Natural History does not fully present and analyze the intelligent-design phenomenon in the pages that follow, we offer, for the reader’s information, brief position statements by three leading proponents of the theory, along with three responses. The section concludes with an overview of the intelligent-design movement by a philosopher and cultural historian who has monitored its history for more than a decade.
  • paddlerXpaddlerX Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    It doesn't have to have any basis in scientific method. That's the whole point! And even with all the scientific method involved in the Big Bang and evolution theories, there is no more proof that either of those theories is correct than creationism or intelligent design. All intelligent design does is take evolution theory and replaces the initial spontaneous existence of life and credits it to a higher power, giving it purpose and a reason for happening. There is no less truth in that hypothesis than in any of the others since none have or (at least at this time) can be proven definitively.

And even for all the scientific method and postulating, nothing in evolution or Big Bang can explain or show correlation between the existence of man and a predecesor that is genetically linked. No DNA evidence, bone structure, or any other unearthed anthorpoligcal or archeological finds have concluded the evolution of man kind from any other species on earth, simian, ape or otherwise. Although genetic variability is seen across all peoples, the process of natural selection leading to speciation is disputed. Research challenging the accepted paradigm continues to surface raising significant questions about the certainty of evolution as the origin of man.

• James243James243 Posts: 769 Officer
    I wonder if any other creatures ponder and debate eternity (past,present, future) the way we do. It seems like this activity makes us rather unusual as far as creatures go.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    While I am far less bright than some, I do understand faith is a challenge to people who consider themselves highly intelligent. (I have a brother who is MENSA smart and agnostic)

That said, wouldn't it make sense to live life as if God is alive and Heaven is real and find out upon death there is no afterlife, than to live life as if there is no God, and then find out God and Heaven are real?
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    You have faith, I get it. But don't try and pretend that ID has any basis in science or the scientific method. It doesn't.
    Faith can't be disproved or proven, because it has no bearing in the scientific world.

http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/nhmag.html
    Most biologists have concluded that the proponents of intelligent design display either ignorance or deliberate misrepresentation of evolutionary science. Yet their proposals are getting a hearing in some political and educational circles and are currently the subject of a debate within the Ohio Board of Education. Although Natural History does not fully present and analyze the intelligent-design phenomenon in the pages that follow, we offer, for the reader’s information, brief position statements by three leading proponents of the theory, along with three responses. The section concludes with an overview of the intelligent-design movement by a philosopher and cultural historian who has monitored its history for more than a decade.

I see your post count continues on an upward trajectory ... congrats.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    I always get a chuckle out of these kinds of debates (even if its a derail).

Questioning someone's faith is futile. Whether it be faith in science, or a Higher Power, or whatever (Chuck pointed that out well, I thought). None of us have had the experiences of anyone other than ourselves, so we don't know what they know or what they think they know or why their views are what they are, whatever they may be.

There are many things that science hasn't yet been able to explain and many scientific explanations that were once thought to be correct that are now known to be incorrect. Although the ability to scientifically discern things is always growing, the fact that it is growing means that it's also limited. The greatest limitation of science is that questions and conclusions are both developed by people and people are imperfect. Sometimes the wrong questions are asked or the right ones aren't asked, and sometimes the wrong conclusions are drawn. Interestingly, theology suffers from the same limitations.
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    What is it with people who want to deny religion as something useful. Many of the foundations of sciences, mathematics, and so on, were started by those professing a faith to a God or Gods. The Greeks with all of their Gods, Muslims, Jews and Christians with their monotheistic views and many others. Somewhere along the way modern sciences has chosen to ignore their beginnings and historical past.
    It is as if they want to go it alone without the respect of others. Sure we can historically find places where one denomination or another stood in an attempt to deny science. However, that was an isolated incident and both sides moved onward in a better direction.
    As I watched a program on NOVA late last night about the Kepler telescope, I had to chuckle. Here was some of the most amazing research and awesome discoveries into the universe and the equipment was named after a Christian.
    There are some who would have vehemently opposed the naming had they a hint of knowledge in the history of what this man had accomplished.
    Those who keep pushing hardest from both sides in attempt to denigrate the other are doing nothing but bringing harm to all. Education and knowledge are paramount. Lashing out in name calling is adolescent at best and shouldn't be tolerated from either camp. Maybe it best to combine the neah'ers in isolation and be done with their destruction.
    How many of the recent advances in medicines has been accomplished by people of Muslim, Hindu, Buda, and Christian faiths? Should those cures and treatments be offered to only those who profess to a higher deity or spiritual calling? We all know better.
    So why are we any different in so many other aspects of research and professions?
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.