running two lines for daytime swordfishing

I think this is what I am gonna do..we set up the the main rod like normal then when that is done we let out the second bait but at the weight we tie 10 inch piece of line to the long line clip that is holding the weight..then we tie the line to a lifesaver candy and then cut another 10 inches of line and tie that to a float or balloon... we let the bait out like normal but won't have to worry about the bait falling on the other line... Once the bait is out far enough say 700 to 1000 feet we put a regular long line clip with a float and that will keep the line away from the boat and won't have to worry about tangles.... Once that lifesaver melts the float that's on the weight will break away and start to fall and we have two lines for daytime... anyone else have had anyluck runing two lines?
JohnnyBlaze

Replies

• copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    drop your first bait to the desired depth, clip it via long line clip to the main line with a rubber band or wax loop & then motor away from it. then set & run your normal daytime rig. keep it as simple as possible.
  • Sea JSea J Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    How far apart do you keep the lines to avoid tangles...thanks for the info
    JohnnyBlaze
  • Remember, one well placed bait is better than several poorly placed baits!
    True...gonna give it a go monday...hopefully the weather will work with us...
    JohnnyBlaze
  • Another point on the double lines.

Swordfishing is in a changing pattern. Used to be Daytime produced solid very large fish and rarely a rat or pup. Now a double marker is highliner of the day. Deepdropping pulls fish in from a wide area due to being the only light in the area, so actually you may have one bait competing with the other bait.

Different at night, you baits are spread further apart and you are competing with the light at the surface, moon, stars, etc.

Our swordfishing is in either a cycle or a transition.

Personally I and some others always believed that the large deep drop fish had different feeding patterns than the fish normally in the upper water column. I think that in warm water, if a fish learns to feed on the bottom successfully, that fish never need to move to the upper water column except maybe when tinkers are thick or other bait patterns tease them back up top.

We have consistently tried to get NOAA to fund research on this fishery within our ICCAT species working groups.

Now with this distinctly different pattern, there is a suggestion that maybe our deep water feeders were selectively and negatively affected by the crap on the bottom of the Gulf after the Deepwater Horizon mess. Research that was not done may miss this effect and maybe we will never know.

Another theory was that the deep feeders have been impacted by all the fishing in our area, and maybe that is supported by the better fishing in the Keys for the triple and quad markers.

We do know that, regardless of normal academic belief, Swords do show great site fidelity, meaning they come back to this area. This is proven by tagging which shows many tag returns back here in the same spot they were released and on a two to four year cycle.

I had this discussion up in DC last month also and the proof is easy to show. We have one very good swordfisherman in Stuart who has retrieved four of his own tags. Now that clearly meets the definition of Site Fidelity!

Night time is under a great transition also. We used to have a normal 6 to 10 fish interactions each night in the early 2000's. I guess you can blame it on the Buoy gear, but the fact is, we started catching large numbers of night fish in 98,99 2000 when there were still longliners out there.

Another point which has a lot of variables is the much lower take on swordfish by the commercial PLL fleet. Catch rates are much lower, way by 30% to 40% over just a few years ago, however the overall North Atlantic stock is healthier than it has been in 20 years with a Biomass approaching 1.2 MSY.

Is our US fleet suffering from attrition and less boats are fishing, probably yes, especially the very large vessels, older boats, older captains, and not a bunch of young blood coming up in the ranks. But is the CPUE down? not sure, the jury is out on that one. Or have new regulations reduced the effectiveness of our commercial fleet? The longliners would say a hell yes! Or are the longliners just targeting the big push of Yellowfin Tuna we have had over the last few years???

Anyway, more questions than answers and I have been following this in both HMS advisory panel and the ICCAT Advisory Committee for over ten years now.

One thing I do know for certain, You can't catch them from you couch!

(Sorry for my ramblings...)
    You need to write a book because I could read that all day...I did bouy fishing 2005 2006 and it was the best job I ever had...In another year or two I am going to start Catch and release all my fish except for tournaments.. do you know the growth rate of a swordfish or where I can find information like that to read..I am really interested in there eyes and how far they can detect these lp lights from..so if water visibility is clear can they see futher or just can see better in pitch black water... thanks again
    JohnnyBlaze
  • fireMARTINmedicfireMARTINmedic Posts: 111 Deckhand
    I think the water temp needs to be above 98.6 degrees in order to melt the life saver..
  • hamma jobhamma job Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    The way I have fished with 2 rods is to splice a piece of heavy (400) mono at ~1400-1700rev on the LP that is about 10 feet long. In the middle of that is a wax loop to clip a dob float. When you make your turn with the first bait, you start letting out the second slowly as you approach the first. When you get to the wax loop, clip on the float and let it out at least 100yds behind the boat. You will not see the bite, all you will see is either the float disappear, go slack, or start trucking south, at which case a giant cluster f*&k ensues if youre not careful about getting the primary rod out of the way. I don't like fishing 2 rods, and typically only do so if I think the fish are up off the bottom a ways for some reason. The second rod helps you cover a bit more of the water column. The majority of the time in my opinion- less is more.

As for Ron's comments regarding the management of our swordfish stocks. I have a couple of comments myself. The PLL fleet is ONLY reducing effort because they are being regulated out of the fishery and have to compete on a level playing field with imports for the same price. I would estimate that amendment 7 will reduce the fleet again by half, the majority of these being the small coastal boats that will be out of business. The cost of this? We will lose quota inevitably to someone who will catch it in a manner that is less responsible than it gets caught here. That's recreational AND commercial quota that becomes unavailable to the American public only because of a completely useless piece of legislation that solves a problem that never existed in the first place. Pretty sad.