Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Marathon Fishing Advice

Hello All,

Taking the wife and kids and heading to the keys again the first week in Aug. This time I am going to Marathon (typically Largo) so I have never fished or lobster hunted there. Any tips, advice, etc.. for Aug?

I did a little light reading and am familiar with the Humps location, etc..

I have a 25ft CC.

PM me or text me.

321-794-5878

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,999 Captain
    I think August is a little slow offshore. If you can find some weeds, you'll pick up a few Mahi, Wahoo, or an occasional Sail, but kind of hit or miss. If you can get there early, blackfin @ the hump. Atlantic fishing is better on the patch reefs at night in my opinion. Bunch of patches between Sombrero and Coffins Patch. I think the bugs won't open till 6th, so you'll only have a couple of days to chase bugs. If you dive, there are some good spots around the patches as well at the offshore reef. I'm getting too old to dive the reefs, so I usually spend most of my time in the bay. Thousands of holes there, but also thousands of boats the first week. I'll probably be down August 8 at Key Colony for about 5 weeks, so will contribute to the crowd.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    gulf 4 bugs, mangroves on reef
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Top WaterTop Water Posts: 72 Deckhand
    New to Marathon fishing as well. I have heard that that Hawks Channel is pretty good fishing, but never have quite figured out where it is located. Does Hawks Channel run the entire length of the Keys? Last time down, we tied off to some buoys oceanside out of Vaca Cut in about 20 feet of water. Nothing quality wise, but the grunts kept the wife and kids happy....
    Top Water wrote: »
    New to Marathon fishing as well. I have heard that that Hawks Channel is pretty good fishing, but never have quite figured out where it is located. Does Hawks Channel run the entire length of the Keys? Last time down, we tied off to some buoys oceanside out of Vaca Cut in about 20 feet of water. Nothing quality wise, but the grunts kept the wife and kids happy....

To my knowledge, the only mooring buoys in 20' in that area in the Atlantic are on Sombrero or Coffins Patch, both of which are no take. Take the family there to snorkel. There are a few patches in Hawks Channel, but most are on the South side of Hawks, or between Hawks & the main reef.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Top WaterTop Water Posts: 72 Deckhand
    The buoys were near the Vaca Cut Channel.......We could see the Sombrero light in the distance. There were several buoys within 50 yards of each other. There were boats tied off and fishing at the other buoys, so we tied off too. So basically there is another reef beyond Hawks Channel? I will venture further out next time........unfortunately with a 17 foot boat, I need to pick my days.....we did snorkel Sombrero a couple days later..........it was a blast!!!
    From what you describe, that sounds like Coffins Patch. SSE of Vacca cut, about 5-6 miles. If people were fishing, they were taking a chance. As for the reefs, most of the patches are on the South side of Hawks. The main reef is a short distance beyond the patches. Most of the patches are about 20'-25' and the main reef ranges from about 40' to 80' in that area.
  • Smokin tailsSmokin tails Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    Beat to fit I will also be down there starting August 8th for a week. I will be staying just south of key colony beach on the ocean side. We will be lobstering and fishing while we are there. Also new to this part of the keys we were in Islamorada last year. Any help is appreciated and will share what we find and do. I will also be looking for a weed line or 2 to chase some mahi