Home General Fishing

calcutta 401 D lure flying off!!

GetnbentGetnbent Posts: 46 Deckhand
Having trouble dialing in my new calcutta 401D and had 3 Cobia Jigs come off and into the lake..haha..feel so like a rookie. I have it on my St croix 7'6 Med Heavy rod. I tried the adjusting screw as well as adding another brake. i seem to get some good throws but not consistent and sometimes backlashes which ends up not being a good throw. can anyone give me any tips. I really like the reel but can't afford to have a bad throw if the fish is there. Thanks for any comments!!!

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,058 Moderator
    Need a little more information. Are you using mono or braid, what #test. Are you casting straight overhand or sidearm. Is the backlash causing the lure to stop and breaking the line/knot. What knot are you using to tie on your leader, what knot are you tying to attach the lure. Where exactly is the lure becoming detached from your line. How heavy are your jigs?
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Is your braid breaking/ being cut? I would guess a cracked guide. They will cut braid like butter.
  • GetnbentGetnbent Posts: 46 Deckhand
    using 60lb braid spider wire silk doing both over and side. 2-3 1/2 oz bucktail jigs or alien jigs. not braking at the knot. think its braking at the reel. i guess when it back lashes it just pops off . like i said i get good cast here and there but every now and then i might try and Lunch it and thats when it gets away, but maybe i just need to throw it a little more conservative. I can't just launch it like i would do my spinner reels. in fact i think my spinners go a little further than my casting reels.. I have a low profile abu garcia and have no issues with that one but maybe could be also the weight of the jigs I'm throwing, but thought this rod n reel could handle it.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Check your guides.
    I will check bit its a newith rod n reel. But never know. Thanks. .
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    yeah, check your guides. i couldn't imagine even a 3 oz lure snapping 60# braid.
    I'm finally getting into the plug reel game, and all i can say is, keep practicing. maybe get yourself a practice plug or just a lead weight and cast around a park or something, thats what I've been doing.

sounds like a cracked guide though.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,058 Moderator
    If the break is at or in the spool, from his description, I'd think it's an over zealous cast causing a backlash and a loop in the backlash causing the braid to cut itself. Just slow down and learn to cast, preferably sidearm, and cast uphill, that is, launch the lure so that it rises above the rod tip during it's flight. This will cause less backlashes. The accuracy of an overhand cast will come after you learn to control the spool with your thumb. Forget distance while learning to cast. This too will come with time. I don't know if your reel has magnetic cast control, but crank it all the way up if it does, and if not, push all the centrifugal weight controls out to slow the spool a much as possible.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Getnbent wrote: »
    using 60lb braid spider wire silk doing both over and side. 2-3 1/2 oz bucktail jigs or alien jigs. not braking at the knot. think its braking at the reel. i guess when it back lashes it just pops off . like i said i get good cast here and there but every now and then i might try and Lunch it and thats when it gets away, but maybe i just need to throw it a little more conservative. I can't just launch it like i would do my spinner reels. in fact i think my spinners go a little further than my casting reels.. I have a low profile abu garcia and have no issues with that one but maybe could be also the weight of the jigs I'm throwing, but thought this rod n reel could handle it.

3-oz. jigs are too heavy for that reel and 60# braid is overkill. If you step down to 20# mono and a 1-oz. jig you will be able to cast consistently without a problem.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

I'd even get rid of the braid in this set up and use 20lb Ande Backcountry or your fav.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Your model has two cast control systems: The Shimano VBS pins, and the spool tension knob. A backlash in the second half of the cast means you need to add more spool tension. A backlash in the first part of the cast means one or several of two or three things:

A: You don't have enough pins pushed outward on your VBS for the weight of the lure you are throwing.

B. You are casting too slow which is not allowing the brake pins to engage the rim. (This is usually the most overlooked problem.)

C. This is the least possible: Your thumb is still behind the learning curve a little bit, though if set up correctly, Shimanos are virtually birdnest proof if you cast hard enough to engage the brakes.

And as stated above, you may very well be overpowering the max capabilities of the cast control system with 3oz jigs, in which case add a little more spool tension to help out. This may however hamper your distance significantly.

As was suggested above also, try walking before you run. 1oz jig first, and don't try to set distance records until your thumb gains some experience.
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    bonephish wrote: »
    3-oz. jigs are too heavy for that reel and 60# braid is overkill. If you step down to 20# mono and a 1-oz. jig you will be able to cast consistently without a problem.

This man speaks the truth...
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,176 Officer
    Probably just sell it to your buddy and stop trying to be cool cause you have a baitcaster.haha
    Man bring it over to my house and we can work the bugs out in the pond.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    As others have suggested, I'd recommend you replace the braid with mono (I'd go with 17lb or 20lb test) when you're in learning mode, and going to a lighter jig. If you're dead set on learning with braid and those heavy jigs, I'd move up to 80lb test until you're comfortable.

I'd also take the advice of Pescatoral Pursuit related to the two cast control systems -- if you're getting backlash at the beginning of the cast (most likely if your casting off your line), then check the VBS weights on the left side of your spool. With that much weight, I'd pull them all the "out" position and start from there. Next, I'd also check the cast control knob on the right side of the reel -- you want it tight enough that when you drop the lure in freespool from shoulder height, it slowly lowers it to the ground and doesn't get any backlash when it hits the ground, and err on the tighter side to begin with.

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgRm2A8LGik

and this one with a bit better video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgRm2A8LGik

Once you've got your casting down a bit more, then you can back off on the cast control knob and/or the weights, but until then I'd suggest you set your reel up as described above then go from there.

The good news is the Calcutta, once you have it set up right and your thumb educated, is a fabulous reel to cast -- keep at it, you'll eventually figure it out. FWIW, I've used the same model as you for casting tarpon for a very long time....it is a solid reel.

Hope this helps...Mike
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    for 3 oz jigs, start with a longer length from the tip, and cast in a slower action.

3 oz's is a lot for a 7'6" mh rod. Just s a flyrod, it has to load.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 348 Deckhand
    Try just using regular monofilament line, lots of people have trouble with braided line, my buddy did same thing on his rod with my strecth 30 lure
    Probably just sell it to your buddy and stop trying to be cool cause you have a baitcaster.haha
    Man bring it over to my house and we can work the bugs out in the pond.
    Yeah man I am..haha.. pratice for sure...I will get it.. and yeah happend in the pond haha
    Tarponator wrote: »
    As others have suggested, I'd recommend you replace the braid with mono (I'd go with 17lb or 20lb test) when you're in learning mode, and going to a lighter jig. If you're dead set on learning with braid and those heavy jigs, I'd move up to 80lb test until you're comfortable.

I'd also take the advice of Pescatoral Pursuit related to the two cast control systems -- if you're getting backlash at the beginning of the cast (most likely if your casting off your line), then check the VBS weights on the left side of your spool. With that much weight, I'd pull them all the "out" position and start from there. Next, I'd also check the cast control knob on the right side of the reel -- you want it tight enough that when you drop the lure in freespool from shoulder height, it slowly lowers it to the ground and doesn't get any backlash when it hits the ground, and err on the tighter side to begin with.

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgRm2A8LGik

and this one with a bit better video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgRm2A8LGik

Once you've got your casting down a bit more, then you can back off on the cast control knob and/or the weights, but until then I'd suggest you set your reel up as described above then go from there.

The good news is the Calcutta, once you have it set up right and your thumb educated, is a fabulous reel to cast -- keep at it, you'll eventually figure it out. FWIW, I've used the same model as you for casting tarpon for a very long time....it is a solid reel.

Hope this helps...Mike

Appreciate it Mike .. I will continue with it and get the bugs ironed out..
    Thanks Mike I will try it out..
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    Happy to help. :)

I remember all too well that powerless feeling when I once launched a Zara Spook more than 400 yards doing the same thing you describe. I walked down the shore counting the steps to find the lure almost a quarter mile away, and I will never forget the gunshot sound of the line snapping that preceded it!

Another time, I did the same thing out towards the middle of Safety Harbor. I didn't get that Spook back, lol.

Live and learn, brother....Mike
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I remember all too well that powerless feeling when I once launched a Zara Spook more than 400 yards doing the same thing you describe...and I will never forget the gunshot sound of the line snapping that preceded it!

I know that feeling all too well and didn't get back the lures either :banghead
    Although I'm not throwing heavy lures like the OP, this is a very helpful thread! I've adjusted my spool tensioner and casting brakes to err on the side of shorter casts and it has helped. Actually I always try to remember to put most of the brakes on right before I start fishing and only start removing them once I've gauged the wind and my own casting that day; there's nothing worse than going gung-ho on that first cast and either get birdsnest, lost lure, or both :rotflmao
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    For my revo and shimanos I've become a two pin guy. Any more and casts are too short. Any less and I'm birdnesting like I haven't been throwing baitcasters for over 30 years. I use spool tension to vary for the weight of the lure. and NO LOBBING!!
    Thanks for that I WILL DEFINITELY DO THAT for sure...thanks for your time..
    Thanks everyone for your responses...It definitely helped and will continue to practice...
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    just got my reel in today, pretty nice little kit. spooled it with that new stren braid. nice and cheap, held 150 of 40#. i tell you what, if it weren't for the magnetic brake on the reel, id probably hate it after today. i didn't get any really serious birds nests, all tangles came out super easy, but without that brake, they would have been bad, at least some of them.
    id have to say I'm on the, the more the better side of things. lightest thing i was throwing today was an 8" mr.wiffle worm on a worm hook. i was able to get it out there decent, definitely more brake for that.