4/24 Kelly Fleet Fishing Experience

I'll start by saying, I caught lots of fish and the regulars caught lots of fish. The woman at the desk was really nice and gave the 6 of us a discount for coming down to fish with them. If the experience with the captain and mate were that good I'd fish with them weekly.

We left the dock a little over 45 minutes late to begin our 45 minute trek to the 60 ft deep grunt fishing grounds. After about an hour one regular that brought his own bait, so he wouldn't have to use the 1/2 inch ballyhoo chunks (I won't even call them plugs, they were too small) got 3 nice muttons just before the captain wanted to move to another spot.

Off we go on a 30 minute cruise to a 30 ft deep grunt and tiny yellow tail "hot spot," as the captain put it. Everyone was catching yellowtails 6-10 inches. Occasionally one of the regulars, where were all stacked on top of each other at the back of the boat (although they arrived way after everyone else), would pull a 12 or 13 incher onboard. We drifted for an hour and a half there, so I'm not sure which part was the captain's "hot spot".

We made a total of 2 drifts, but I guess you have to conserve fuel when you go from Haulover all the way to Hollywood Beach.

All the while my friends that didn't know what they were doing were getting backlash and tangles while the mate spent the entire trip fishing instead of working for his tips. Of course the regulars all tipped him well, so he's not going to learn any time soon. **Hint: regulars will always tip well because they know what they're doing and won't need your help. If you want to make more money make the new guys really happy, so they come back and become regulars.** Gotta be a sweet job though, go out and not work then have everyone hand you 20 dollar bills on their way off the boat. He wasn't even marking the fish, everyone started doing it themselves because we had all our fish sitting on the deck while he fished.

At any rate. If you know what you're doing and don't mind half the night going to travelling to and from 30-60ft spots where you catch small fish this is the trip for you. I'd say we boated roughly 50-60 fish. Total weight somewhere in the range of 30-40 lbs, including the 3 muttons that were caught.

I left pretty frustrated with the whole night, although it's always nice to take some fish home, it sure is nice to have a mate that's working to get everyone on them instead of just letting the people that know what to do catch them all. I will be sticking with Fish City Pride and Helen S up north from now on and will be suggesting the same to my friends and colleagues that want to learn. The mates up there are excellent and the captains put us on at least as many fish, and usually better quality ones.

Replies

• HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    most of these fleets are garbage. that's why I prefer to have a boat. you can add Sailor's Choice in the keys to that list. not only do they fish garbage spots for small fish, but these a holes saved spots for regulars that called in. is it not first come first serve? they also let one dickhead fish for shark off the back of the boat while everyone else is trying to fish for tails. there aren't any good party boats in Miami. Robbie's is ok but they will always tell you the back is open and it's BS. again they stick their regulars there and lie to everyone else just to get them to go down. i've only fished that fleet crap maybe 3 times in my life. it's a bs ripoff. you're better off chartering a local captain with your buddies.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 174 Deckhand
    Those boats keep the tourist happy
    Walk down the dock towards the store and get on Steves boat call ahead of course
    Him or one of his guys will put you on big! Fish
    Just let them know your not there for a boat ride aka take the tourist trolling
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 551 Officer
    The "regulars" will always be taken care of first, it's always been like that, and always will be. No need to get upset. Want a stern spot, get there early, and slip the mate a 20, it will happen.

Used to frequent the reward fleet, and caught some real nice fish. Like said, these boats cater to tourists, but they also take care of the local fisherman that are constantly on the boat. Did you go up to the guy and ask for help?
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 686 Officer
    If you have the time, take a ride down to Key Largo and fish on The Gulfstream with Capt Chan. They rotate the stern and catch a lot of quality fish. Just make sure to check with them to about the boat fishing that day. It's a long ride to not leave the dock.
  • mclovinmclovin Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Did you go up to the guy and ask for help?

I didn't need help. I did ask him to help my buddies several times and did ask him to mark my fish several times, which he did begrudgingly. Nobody is forcing him to be a mate. What I want from a mate is an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. If he wants a tip from me he better not be fishing himself. I'm paying to do that, why would I pay him to do it too? That said, if anyone wants to pay me to go on their boat and fish I'd be happy to do so. I'll even mark a fish or 2 if you ask me, and get a tangle out if you ask about that too.
    Walk down the dock towards the store and get on Steves boat

Does Steve have a website? What's the boat called?
    CaptJ wrote: »
    If you have the time, take a ride down to Key Largo and fish on The Gulfstream with Capt Chan

I have heard good things about The Gulfstream. I'd hate to take people down there that have no idea what they are doing though and **** off everyone. :nono
    (786) 399-5469
    There's his phone number he's right by the
    Store if you have that many guys with you it makes more sense to take
    Your own chater anyway
  • T-LUV2T-LUV2 Posts: 389 Officer
    mclovin wrote: »
    I didn't need help. I did ask him to help my buddies several times and did ask him to mark my fish several times, which he did begrudgingly. Nobody is forcing him to be a mate. What I want from a mate is an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. If he wants a tip from me he better not be fishing himself. I'm paying to do that, why would I pay him to do it too? That said, if anyone wants to pay me to go on their boat and fish I'd be happy to do so. I'll even mark a fish or 2 if you ask me, and get a tangle out if you ask about that too.

Well said!
  • miamimiami Posts: 55 Deckhand
    mclovin wrote: »
    I have heard good things about The Gulfstream. I'd hate to take people down there that have no idea what they are doing though and **** off everyone. :nono

The Gulfstream is by far the best head boat. There is a constant rotation on the stern so everyone gets a fair shake. They chumball, and this may take a newbie some getting used to.Blacks and muttons off the floor. This boat caters to fishermen, not tourists. Never caught a throwback yt on that boat, usually 16 and up....call first
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 686 Officer
    Stevie is the man. Best dolphin fisherman around bar none. Knows every wreck in the area and loves to catch fish. On top of that he's a great guy to hang with.