Home General Fishing

Pre-rigged swimbaits vs Hollow swimbaits

Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
What are the major differences, pros, and cons to pre-rigged swimbaits, such as STORM, Berkley, and Tsunami, opposed to Hollow body swimbaits, such as the Shadalicious and the Berkley hollow body shad?

Also, what situations are both fished in?

Thanks in advance!

While on the topic of swimbaits, have any of you been suckered into buying Spooltek?

Replies

• haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    Can't control the weight or how they are rigged....
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    Can't control the weight or how they are rigged....

Not sure what that means.............
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,300 Officer
    It is the expense with all of those examples you listed. The pre-rigged ones have a built in weight that cannot be adjusted. Too heavy and it can't be worked effectively in shallow water. The one pictured (Spooltek) looks very nice, but puffers will destroy that tail just like all other soft plastic swimbaits. Once the tail is gone, the lure is useless. The concept behind that lure has merit. The weight of a bait can help the fish shake the hook from its' mouth, but I wouldn't buy it. Some pre-rigged baits don't have the strongest of hooks either.

It just makes more sense and is more cost-effective to get small 3-4" swimbaits like Bass Assassin Saltwater Sea Shads, DOA or some other type of paddle-tails and rig them yourself. Those baits can be used with 1/16oz, 1/8oz, 1/4 oz jig heads and beyond depending on the depth of the water being fished. I like Mission Fishin' and Bass Assassin jig heads. The size of the hook shank is also something to consider when pairing it up with a certain swimbait. Too long and it affects the tail action resulting in less wiggle. Mixing and matching the size/color of the jig head to the size/color of the paddle tail is part of the fun.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    I use both. Have had pretty good success with the prerigged 3" STORM swimbaits as well as rigging my own DOA's.

The upside to rigging your own is the endless combos of jig head type, color, weight and swimbait colors. More options to mix it up to see what the fish like to chew on.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Unrigged you can use a wide gap hook and a bullet weight for bass fishing and rig Texas Style , then poke the tip of the hook back in the swim bait . This works very well around grass , docks , and rocks . Or you can buy the weighted hooks made for swimbaits and rig the same way .
    Thanks for all the responses. Has anyone tried the Strike king Shadalicious swimbait? If so, how did you choose to rig it?
    Yes they work well . See #6
    BD27 wrote: »
    Yes they work well . See #6

I'm not sure what you mean by "see #6".

Anyway, what setup would you recommend for inlet fishing?
    The one pictured (Spooltek) looks very nice, but puffers will destroy that tail just like all other soft plastic swimbaits. Once the tail is gone, the lure is useless. The concept behind that lure has merit. The weight of a bait can help the fish shake the hook from its' mouth, but I wouldn't buy it. Some pre-rigged baits don't have the strongest of hooks either.

Would you mind explaining a little more as to why you wouldn't buy it? It does come with an extra tail, and more are sold in packs. If your reasoning is the price, than I definitely understand.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    Snookman77 wrote: »
    Would you mind explaining a little more as to why you wouldn't buy it? It does come with an extra tail, and more are sold in packs. If your reasoning is the price, than I definitely understand.

I would not buy because I can do the same thing with a bait that cost me about .30 cents.
    johnD wrote: »
    I would not buy because I can do the same thing with a bait that cost me about .30 cents.

What bait is that?
    Snookman77 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by "see #6".

Anyway, what setup would you recommend for inlet fishing?

Post # 6 , rigging that I use . In more open water I will rig them on a jig head
    As far as set up goes , I like to use heavy bass gear (conventional ) near structure , as it more accurate to cast IMO . I will use spinning gear is fishing flats and need the extra casting distance . Size your gear to species that you are after . And use what is comfortable to you .
    BD27 wrote: »
    Post # 6 , rigging that I use . In more open water I will rig them on a jig head
    As far as set up goes , I like to use heavy bass gear (conventional ) near structure , as it more accurate to cast IMO . I will use spinning gear is fishing flats and need the extra casting distance . Size your gear to species that you are after . And use what is comfortable to you .

Thanks. How heavy a jig head for an inlet?
    Depends on current . I like to use the lightest weight possible . I also like to fish a swimbait on the bottom . Sometimes I will reel straight back in , but most times I will yo-yo the bait , letting it fall . I also like to throw any artificial up current and work back to me down current . This can cause a lot of lost tackle . That is why I don't like to fish an open hook . In heavy current , you might have to throw a couple of oz jig head . Light current you might get away with 1/8 - 1/4 oz
  • bsnookn584bsnookn584 Posts: 96 Deckhand
    I personal love the spooltek. I'm able to down size my leader to 30-40 lb fluoro when the snook are being really finicky. Leader deploys perfect ever time. I've never had a puffer fish bight any of my tails off. And when you do have to replace them they are super cheap!! I have one 6" fatty that I've caught 12 snook on before I had to change out the tail. Definitely worth the money. image.jpg2_zpsrni6ldjy.jpg

image.jpg5_zpschfhushd.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsysd6mo7x.jpg
    bsnookn584 wrote: »
    I personal love the spooltek. I'm able to down size my leader to 30-40 lb fluoro when the snook are being really finicky. Leader deploys perfect ever time. I've never had a puffer fish bight any of my tails off. And when you do have to replace them they are super cheap!! I have one 6" fatty that I've caught 12 snook on before I had to change out the tail. Definitely worth the money. image.jpg2_zpsrni6ldjy.jpg

image.jpg5_zpschfhushd.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsysd6mo7x.jpg

So expensive:willynilly ........ but so hard to resist after seeing those lunkers...