Targeting spanish macks

Hey guys i've caught spanish while fishing for other fish but lately my bud started smoking them and loves them so last time we went out there was a boat trolling for them and caught the hell out of them, so we figuered hey lets do that and we tried every lure and plug, even a spoon and we only caught 2 and they were snagged, so the question is what lures, spoons do you guys use for them besides the cork with jig head and shrimp way, hopefully this weekend will be nice and we can catch a few while going offshore.

Replies

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,471 AG
    Spoons and floros trolled work well. They get lock jaw too though like everything else. One of my family went out last Saturday and trolled about an hour, nothing. Baitfish came up and he had 3 big ones in the box in 5 minutes. Bait went back down and then nothing. They can be jumping in the boat one minute and then shut down the next. :shrug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 962 Officer
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,172 AG
    They are good, but bluefish are better, especially for dips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Dam that looks good
    Flash wrote: »
    They are good, but bluefish are better, especially for dips.

Smoked, perhaps. Maybe. Possibly. Grilled or baked? Um no. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Agree, if done that day or the next. After that it is a wash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 210 Deckhand
    The "Clark" spoon is sorta the go-to lure for spanish. Try to match the size with whatever baitfish is being attacked. It's a cheap spoon but does the job (and it won't bother you so much if the toothy criiters bites your line). But as said above, they can get lock jaw.
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 599 Officer
    It's like anything else, just keep changing tactics til something works. When you get bites pay attention to everything and develop a pattern. Were they biting on a specific direction? Over the deep or shallow side? Inside or outside bait? Bait on top or below surface on a trolling weight/planer?
    You can also anchor up and chum or live bait fish them.
    Crabtrap wrote: »
    The "Clark" spoon is sorta the go-to lure for spanish. Try to match the size with whatever baitfish is being attacked. It's a cheap spoon but does the job (and it won't bother you so much if the toothy criiters bites your line). But as said above, they can get lock jaw.

I remember a time when a No Alibi trolled was deadly for a couple of years when the spanish wouldn't hit a spoon. Then they began liking spoons again, and wouldn't touch a feathered jig. :shrug Fish are weird.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Flash wrote: »
    Agree, if done that day or the next. After that it is a wash.

Spanish are quite good and actually freeze well in water, though it takes up a lot of space in the freezer. Try something new next time you get a mess. Fillet off both sides of the fish, then skin like you normally do. Take your knife and run it down the centerline on both sides, then grab some pliers or catfish skinners and pull out the bloodline. It takes many of the bones out and almost every bit of red meat. That part is strong tasting and not worth eating anyway, especially on big summer spanish.

A1 and I have had discussions about the old Morrisons Cafeteria Chain and how good their foot long spanish fillets were back in the day, just simply baked. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,040 Officer
    the easiest way I have found to target them is to be out there by first light. If they are around and feeding you can see em bustin'. Just motor around the school (stay well off them). Figure your drift (or troll) to intercept the school. stay to the outside of them. When they are feedin, they seem to eat whatever is in front of them if it's moving fast, plugs, spoons, plastics and of course shrimp. If they go down, wait for them to pop up somewhere. Birds will often be part of the mix. By sun up they begin to go down/move on.
    That's the easiest way, for me, anyway. Of course that's only when they are moving in and in big schools.
    they are great smoked. try a little soy sauce and maple syrup in yer brine. apple or orange wood chips are my favorite
    Thanks guys going to get some spoons and I'll tell my buddy about the soy sauce and maple syrup
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,937 Captain
    The most effective way to locate Spanish is to tie on your shiniest and most expensive lure with light leader.
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Spanish are quite good and actually freeze well in water, though it takes up a lot of space in the freezer. Try something new next time you get a mess. Fillet off both sides of the fish, then skin like you normally do. Take your knife and run it down the centerline on both sides, then grab some pliers or catfish skinners and pull out the bloodline. It takes many of the bones out and almost every bit of red meat. That part is strong tasting and not worth eating anyway, especially on big summer spanish.

A1 and I have had discussions about the old Morrisons Cafeteria Chain and how good their foot long spanish fillets were back in the day, just simply baked. :)

I only do this to fry them. If smoked, they roll after the filleting is done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim311 wrote: »
    The most effective way to locate Spanish is to tie on your shiniest and most expensive lure with light leader.

Great idea, got a couple of expensive lures and 15lbs fluorocarbon but you have to tie your fluorocarbon to a swivel so i have some nice shinny gold color swivels i think I'll tie it to.:cool:
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 450 Deckhand
    Don't forget another go-to for spanish macs, the gotcha plug:
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    I'm a gotcha plug fan. It's easy, just throw and yank. They like to be chummed in too I hear
  • bullbaybullbay Posts: 158 Deckhand
    Anchor, chum..catch Spanish!
    Crabtrap wrote: »

Well, it use to be cheap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]