Rough year stone crabbing

Over the years we have come to expect our traps occasionally looted. At first we found empty traps and were not sure so we secured our traps with tie wraps confirming someone was getting to our traps when we found the tie wraps cut. This year has had the normal looted traps as well as we are finding traps with the wood chew out blocks removed (smashed in); finding the tie wrap untouched.

:banghead

Replies

• Dolphin 22Dolphin 22 Posts: 115 Officer
    I Lost about half my traps. Blocks removed as well.
    No looting that i can tell. But it was a pretty good year non the less.
  • Bsmith48Bsmith48 Posts: 165 Deckhand
    Thats a bummer. Do you put traps offshore or inshore?
    Proline 24SS 225 Suzuki
  • Eddy dEddy d Posts: 291 Deckhand
    We gave up along time ago. Most of our traps were lost to poachers. We would do both off shore and inshore.
    Big Game Liquors.com :Glass
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    I've done very well at Grimms in Everglades City this year :)
  • D E E PD E E P Posts: 1,625 Moderator
    Inshore

Agreed this season has been very productive.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,196 AG
    D E E P wrote: »
    Over the years we have come to expect our traps occasionally looted. At first we found empty traps and were not sure so we secured our traps with tie wraps confirming someone was getting to our traps when we found the tie wraps cut. This year has had the normal looted traps as well as we are finding traps with the wood chew out blocks removed (smashed in); finding the tie wrap untouched.

:banghead
    turtles perhaps?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Posts: 217 Deckhand
    I gave up too, would drop my traps around bayfront, I would find a spot away from all other traps, 2 weeks later when I came to check them, I would have commercial trap line all around mine. Traps would be empty. Eventually lost all my traps and my vigor to buy new ones and do it all over.
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 383 Deckhand
    bumper crop in the northern bahamas this year..
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 806 Officer
    Down in Key Largo I heard all of the stories of tampering with the traps, etc. but my five traps have been producing right along. I've been getting dinner every week, so no complaints.