Is Christianity Done?

11112131517

Replies

  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    jlh49 wrote: »
    Oh..., so you are one of those, "Only believe what science can prove," people. Okay then, end of discussion.

    you believe in space aliens with no proof of it.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    jlh49 wrote: »
    But that same absolution does not mean they will not do it; unless you subscribe to the notion that because someone has never done something, they never will.

    I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Now Mel is fantasizing about acquiring my "short hairs".
    The MelMan wrote: »
    Mel has Fibber by the short hairs and he is squealing bloody murder ..............

    Mel's ghosts & magic mythology is all about "squealing bloody murder" & trying to deny reality.
  • jlh49jlh49 Posts: 3,127 Officer
    jlh49 wrote: »
    Who said God was a demonstrable participant in any of it?

    Lack of experience does not absolve one from doing it.

    Only when confronting it on forums, such as this one. However, being dishonest about one's perfection can render misunderstandings about his/her virtues.

    Don't you agree?
    I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

    In the context of my use of the word "absolve," in response to your comment, I felt it had some applicability; however, I will agree with you that I could have chosen a better.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    Science says we haven't been contacted.

    Where has "science" said this? The same science that can't come to a conclusion on whether MMGW is real?
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Where has "science" said this? The same science that can't come to a conclusion on whether MMGW is real?

    we're still seeking signs of microbial forms and radio signals. Zilch so far but some promise on the primitive front. That seems likely.
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,728 Captain
    cadman wrote: »
    I am willing to say I don't know. There may have been some supernatural force that created the earth and life on it. In all honesty, it doesn't matter. Whatever forces that happened to bring this reality forward does not need my daily worship to survive. It would not care if I bowed down to it.

    .

    The ancient text, written shortly after the death and reported return to life of the only human claiming to be family with the alien supernatural force, A human more famous than any that has lived; this text, written by his close associates, tells us not to judge others because no man knows the spirit of another man. And I agree, right?
    It also tells us that no one knows the spirit of the supernatural force but that force..............
    so don't suppose to know what it wants or needs. I think it might appreciate some thanks and attention from its creation. Just a thought.........
    cadman wrote: »

    If this supreme being had any concerns it would be that we treat each other like human being, "love thy neighbor as thyself" is the phrase I think that is used. I am happy to follow that advice and let the chips fall where they will.

    .

    Now you are catching on. I agree, without love the text tells us, we are NOTHING. I think part of our metamorphosis into a higher level being depends on us being able to love completely and selflessly. The text gives 2 rules that over-shadow all others. The second you have embraced. The first is ' Love the supernatural being with your whole heart, soul and mind'.
    I think the force wants to be loved just like the rest of us...................
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

    Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

    "2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,619 AG
    The MelMan wrote: »
    The ancient text, written shortly after the death and reported return to life of the only human claiming to be family with the alien supernatural force, A human more famous than any that has lived; this text, written by his close associates, tells us not to judge others because no man knows the spirit of another man. And I agree, right?
    It also tells us that no one knows the spirit of the supernatural force but that force..............
    so don't suppose to know what it wants or needs. I think it might appreciate some thanks and attention from its creation. Just a thought.........



    Now you are catching on. I agree, without love the text tells us, we are NOTHING. I think part of our metamorphosis into a higher level being depends on us being able to love completely and selflessly. The text gives 2 rules that over-shadow all others. The second you have embraced. The first is ' Love the supernatural being with your whole heart, soul and mind'.
    I think the force wants to be loved just like the rest of us...................

    I find it hard to believe that a force capable of creating the universe would want anything from us. It would be like us wanting bacteria to love and worship us. We want bacteria to be bacteria. We study it for various reasons, but we require nothing from it. We can kill it if it harms us and promote life for the ones that don't. We can even create it in a lab. We are kind of like Gods to bacteria. But we would not even know if they worshiped us.

    An entity with the power needed to accomplish what you claim that has no beginning and no end would have no reason to desire anything from us except that we be humans. Our entire lifetime would be but a blink of its eye. The entire span of mans existence on earth would be nothing more than a week would be for us.

    Why would it care about something so insignificant to the cosmos of what it created.

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Bacteria was not created in your image.

    Would you want your children to be so indifferent after giving them life (creating) and providing for them?

    (Sorry Mel.)
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,619 AG
    Bacteria was not created in your image.

    Would you want your children to be so indifferent after giving them life (creating) and providing for them?

    (Sorry Mel.)

    If I had the power you give to God, I would care less if they were mortal humans. They would live and die in the blink of an eye by my standards.

    In essence, bacteria is created in our image. The foundation is the same. Carbon based life form. Do you think God looks like you?

    I guess that is a problem with a literal translation of the bible. Many it just refers to the same building blocks.

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    cadman wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that a force capable of creating the universe would want anything from us. It would be like us wanting bacteria to love and worship us. We want bacteria to be bacteria. We study it for various reasons, but we require nothing from it. We can kill it if it harms us and promote life for the ones that don't. We can even create it in a lab. We are kind of like Gods to bacteria. But we would not even know if they worshiped us.

    An entity with the power needed to accomplish what you claim that has no beginning and no end would have no reason to desire anything from us except that we be humans. Our entire lifetime would be but a blink of its eye. The entire span of mans existence on earth would be nothing more than a week would be for us.

    Why would it care about something so insignificant to the cosmos of what it created.

    Hummmm....

    That kinda makes sense.....though a "Father" does expect a certain amount of respect from his children......whether he's deserving of it or not. Should God be any different?

    I believe that "man's lifespan" is but a wink of the eye where God is concerned.

    Many of our resident FS site self proclaimed defacto Christians probably can't fathom what you are saying, but it truly does make sense......and actually should be a question that people of faith should attempt to figure out.

    "Christianity" is getting pizzed on by many these days....present company excluded....simply because of what ten's of thousands of internet Christian prophets are doing to that and all religions in general.

    What I find incomprehensible is the fact that none of these self professed holy men can not or will not answer even the simplest of questions...with the simplest of answers....especially when they are offered to just give a yeas or no answer.

    Little do they know that very many people read but don't post and that much of what they write and all of what they refuse to answer drives people away.

    Great post "Cad"...it makes people think!
    On Wednesday, 1/25/2017...Florida Sportsman "Big Kahunna"......"Triple Threat 33T" gave his "official word"...and greasy thumb print...by saying....."Here's your written rules Schmidty, No Politics in OT. You're welcome."

    ...and with that history was made...:)
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    cadman wrote: »
    If I had the power you give to God,

    Oh but you do. Not all of it, but the power to create life which is the context of the question.
    cadman wrote: »
    I would care less if they were mortal humans. They would live and die in the blink of an eye by my standards.

    I asked you how you would feel about your children being indifferent to you, not you being indifferent to bacteria.
    cadman wrote: »
    In essence, bacteria is created in our image. The foundation is the same. Carbon based life form. Do you think God looks like you?

    Except that you can't "create" bacteria. And, made in your image is entirely different than made with the same building blocks. That's why bentley has more value than yugo though they are both made from the same building blocks.
    cadman wrote: »
    I guess that is a problem with a literal translation of the bible. Many it just refers to the same building blocks.

    Did you mean maybe? That is a big leap for words like "image" and "likeness." The only problem with the literal translation is our accountability. The problem with figurative translation is that not only anything goes, but that there would be no universal standard or truth, only chaos.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    adults, discussing whether or not aliens love them and how much they should love aliens.
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,728 Captain
    cadman wrote: »
    If I had the power you give to God, I would care less if they were mortal humans. They would live and die in the blink of an eye by my standards.

    In essence, bacteria is created in our image. The foundation is the same. Carbon based life form. Do you think God looks like you?

    I guess that is a problem with a literal translation of the bible. Many it just refers to the same building blocks.

    No man can judge you cadman because no man knows your spirit, your innermost thoughts and motives but you. In the same way you don't know the motives of the maker, trying to guess them or put yourself in its shoes so to speak is only that, a guess , a conjecture, no man knows the spirit of God ...............
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

    Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

    "2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,728 Captain
    greggl wrote: »
    adults, discussing whether or not aliens love them and how much they should love aliens.
    Not just the alien but each other too..........How much would you say?
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

    Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

    "2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    The MelMan wrote: »
    Not just the alien but each other too..........How much would you say?

    Dollar amount? What unit of measure should I use to answer?
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,728 Captain
    greggl wrote: »
    Dollar amount? What unit of measure should I use to answer?

    use the pain score.......1-10
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

    Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

    "2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    10.

    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'

    The book calls for living 'free of desire' under socialism or communism Mel - some variant of communalism.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,619 AG
    The MelMan wrote: »
    No man can judge you cadman because no man knows your spirit, your innermost thoughts and motives but you. In the same way you don't know the motives of the maker, trying to guess them or put yourself in its shoes so to speak is only that, a guess , a conjecture, no man knows the spirit of God ...............

    But that is what you do every time you claim to speak for him and tell others what they have to do to go to heaven. You claim some other humans wrote a book telling you his motives, and that you must share his motives with the rest of us.

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    rearrange to fit
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,619 AG
    Did you mean maybe? That is a big leap for words like "image" and "likeness."

    Why is it a big leap? First you have the translation issues that could have caused an error in the original meaning. Secondly, you have simple men who, if you are correct, had to take what God said and put it into a language that other humans of that time could understand and God himself was trying to explain it in terms he thought simple humans could understand. An entity with that much knowledge and power would be beyond what we know today and this was 2500 years ago. It would be unlikely we could fathom what he could tell us about life and the universe due to the knowledge gap. Him trying to explain that our DNA was similar would be "created in his image" for them to understand. Explaining how we are carbon based life forms like God would be "created in his image".

    You assume it means God looks like you because you want to believe he does. It is the same reason Europeans made Jesus a blond haired white guy. The same reason they depict God as an older male person. You want that similarity to make the belief easier.

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,619 AG
    Schmidty wrote: »
    Hummmm....

    That kinda makes sense.....though a "Father" does expect a certain amount of respect from his children......whether he's deserving of it or not. Should God be any different?

    The father thing is how the believers see him. Why would there be any reason to think God would see us as Children? We would have been a science experiment. Most likely an abandoned one as he moved on to another experiment in another dimension in another universe.

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,728 Captain
    cadman wrote: »
    But that is what you do every time you claim to speak for him and tell others what they have to do to go to heaven. You claim some other humans wrote a book telling you his motives, and that you must share his motives with the rest of us.

    I am simply pointing out that historically a man lived, claimed to understand our creator, reportedly worked feats that defied physics and biology, reportedly came back to life from the dead and was seen by hundreds; went on to be the most influential human to ever live up to date. His teachings have moved millions to declare themselves his followers throughout the last 2000 years of history. Part of these teachings states that no man knows the spirit of God , that is, What he thinks and why he does what he does.

    You on the other hand seem to be insistent that you know what he thinks and why. I don't understand ...........
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

    Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

    "2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,124 AG
    greggl wrote: »

    :rotflmao

    I have to admit Gregg, in the context of the discussion, you made me crack a smile. :grin
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,779 AG
    cadman wrote: »
    We would have been a science experiment.
    And how many are.. If there is one perfect creator why are many intentionally inflicted with incurable disease - a science project?
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,728 Captain
    The MelMan wrote: »
    ........... Part of these teachings states that no man knows the spirit of God , that is, What he thinks and why he does what he does.
    ..........

    This seems to be a hard concept for many to grasp.............
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

    Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

    "2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Mel is "simply pointing out that historically" Christianity is just another myth based entirely on magic & ghosts, albeit "the most influential" so far he knows.
    The MelMan wrote: »
    I am simply pointing out that historically a man lived, claimed to understand our creator, reportedly worked feats that defied physics and biology, reportedly came back to life from the dead and was seen by hundreds; went on to be the most influential human to ever live up to date. His teachings have moved millions to declare themselves his followers throughout the last 2000 years of history. Part of these teachings states that no man knows the spirit of God , that is, What he thinks and why he does what he does.

    Mel thinks he chats with the emperor spook in the sky on a daily basis & is able to beg the big guy for favors that defy "physics and biology".
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,619 AG
    The MelMan wrote: »
    I am simply pointing out that historically a man lived, claimed to understand our creator, reportedly worked feats that defied physics and biology, reportedly came back to life from the dead and was seen by hundreds; went on to be the most influential human to ever live up to date. His teachings have moved millions to declare themselves his followers throughout the last 2000 years of history. Part of these teachings states that no man knows the spirit of God , that is, What he thinks and why he does what he does.

    You on the other hand seem to be insistent that you know what he thinks and why. I don't understand ...........

    Where did I say that? I am asking why and saying I don't know and that it doesn't matter. You are the one who speaks for him and tells me what he did and says I must believe in him and worship him and pray to him or I go to a place you call hell where I will be damned.

    I simply say, be a good person, love thy neighbor, and don't be an *******.

    According to some on here the only thing God cares about is that you worship him and you can be the biggest ******* on earth and still get to heaven as long as you believe. Why would I want to go there?

    i am also saying your interpretation of God may not be the right one.

    Mini Mart Magnate

  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,619 AG
    The MelMan wrote: »
    This seems to be a hard concept for many to grasp.............

    Most Christians as a matter of fact.

    Mini Mart Magnate

Sign In or Register to comment.