Home General Fishing

Saltwater fishing spots near Orlando

mchlkwnmchlkwn Posts: 1 Greenhorn
Hi:

Plan on visiting Orlando at the end of August to beginning of September for about 10 days. Any fishing spots/piers/beaches to go. What are the regulations regaridng Flaorida saltwater fishing. What kind of species are thare around August/Sepetmber? What kind of equipments are needed for pier/beaches?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• XafXaf Posts: 1,105 Officer
    Orlando is in the middle of the state so if you are talking saltwater it is 1.5 - 2 hours East or West.

Not too familiar with piers, to the East I believe there is a pier in Canaveral and there is Sebastian Inlet (probably 3 hr drive). Lots of places to surf fish though. To the West there are also a number of places, Sunshine Skyway piers and Fort Desoto. Someone can probably provide better information on piers. There are headboats out of both coasts if you like that type fishing. I recommend checking with Hubbard's out of Maderia Beach.

Same with beaches, you have Canaveral National Sea Shore, Cocoa Beach, Daytona Beach, etc., to the East. St. Pete Beach, Indian Rocks, Maderia Beach, etc., to the West.

You can go to myfwc.com to get information on regulations, seasons, licenses, etc. Br forewarned you will probably need a lawyer to decipher some of the fishing regulations.

Hope this helps.
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 482 Deckhand
    we were there at Disney World a few years ago. i did a little research on the web and found a local guide out of Coccoa Beach. i think his name was Mulvey. anyway we met him at the ramp and had a good trip. not a long drive at all, i think it's about 40 or 50 mi.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Orlando is within 40 miles of Indian River. Aug & Sept are hot which can slow inshore fishing.

You don't need a fishing license on some fishing piers, like Sunshine Skyway. Otherwise visitors need a nonresident saltwater fishing license.

Google Titusville, Cocoa Bch. or Merritt Is. for fishing piers, B&T shops, charters, head boats, etc.
  • LB200LB200 Posts: 298 Officer
    Tampa Bay is not far from Orlando but any of the options are going to be pretty tough as far as catching goes, with no experience in the area. You could fish any of the piers and possibly catch a few fish. Best bet would be to hire a guide if it is in your budget.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,100 AG
    East coast beach fishing should be good in that time frame... Early and late...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you