Suwannee river cruise - 4/26

I was getting cabin fever bad with all the wind and rain but this afternoon the rain slowed and the sun came out. I wanted to wet a line (got a new reel) and have a cold one on the river so I'd planned to put in at highway 129 and run up to where the Ichetucknee meets up with the Santa Fe to look at wrinkly old bikini babes and fat girls at the sandbar. The plan went out the window when the whole parking lot was under water since the water was so high. I ended up trailering to Branford and the water there was a little high too, it was murky and running fast. I figured the fishing would suck as it always does when the water is high and murky and I was right. I threw topwater and Rapalas for about an hour before I gave up. I did accomplish my primary goal of having a cold one and went for a swim at Little River which was a jammed with the fine citizens of Suwannee County. Still had a fun afternoon and certainly beats doing yardwork and chores like I did yesterday. It was still super windy straight out of the west so I figured fishing an all day high tide might be tough if I fished salt, so I gave the redfish a break this weekend.

Replies

• PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    I knew you were getting out today after watching that fire burn all day!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Sometimes you just gotta go....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Jim, the river might be high but the fishing has been on fire for the last two weeks. I've fished it at least 8 times and the redbellies, shell crackers and blue gills are killing it.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    Jim, the river might be high but the fishing has been on fire for the last two weeks. I've fished it at least 8 times and the redbellies, shell crackers and blue gills are killing it.

I was hoping to catch a few of those, maybe it was just a slow afternoon or I was looking in the wrong places. I was also throwing topwater 75% of the time, and I doubt a bream is going to eat a super spook. I tried throwing small rapalas too but not for as long as I probably should have. I think the saltwater has got me spoiled, I lose interest in freshwater fishing pretty fast unless there's a hot bite, LOL. My last trip on the Santa Fe (which is not flowing as far or near as murky) was very good. I'm also seeing lots of bowfin which seems unusual.